Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Red light cameras all over the Chi and speed cameras are coming next. I want as little interaction with law enforcement as possible.
    A speeding ticket is easily 300 dollars, 80 in a 55 ? What are you driving a Kenne Bell 03 Cobra ? High test is probably $4 a gallon....
    Those red light cameras in Chi aren't at every intersection, my GPS system alerts me when I'm coming up on one and I'll look for and find the cameras every time. They do those speeds on the expressway's in Detroit as well, driving 80 mph on the Dan Ryan isn't uncommon at all, the speed limit is 55.

Yes, I've seen this. The main reason they do it is because they're assholes. The secondary reason is to be more fuel efficient.

The problem is that some of them do it in the left lanes, where faster traffic should be. However, if they go to the right lanes where the slower traffic should be, they're screwing over all the trucks that now have to pass them.

Bottom line, if you do it in heavy traffic, you're an ass. Within your rights, but still an ass.

This is an especially bad problem in the city.

I'm thinking it's because many people are driving without insurance [[and also because they're "riding high").

But still, they all need to go to Mars. I have somewhere to be darn it!!!

Another issue may be perception. Many suburbanites think that the speed limit on Detroit Freeways is always 70 when in most cases it is only 55. There is a stretch of the Lodge S of I-75 where thre speed limit is set ridiculsly low, but it has a lot of weave traffic. Here is is somewhere between 35-45 mph!

I drive slowly, coast to red lights and get flipped off on a regular basis. Doesn't bother me a bit.

My attitude is that I don't care at all how fast somebody is driving unless they're impeding my progress. Drive 150 mph if you want. I'll move over and let you by. Drive 60 in the left lane and you're now getting in my way. That's when I'll have a problem. Live & let live, I guess.

If you think it's bad here, try Florida. You have an equal mix of 85 year olds who can't see over the steering wheel going 45 in a 70 mph zone and 20 year old meth-heads going 90 in a 55. Damn!

Brian1979,You're right. Chicago is THE WORST. They have the slowest drivers in the world and the worst drivers. They swurve as they drive, drive slow as possible in the left [[fast) lane, they cross 3 lanes over at the last minute with NO warning. I HATE Chicago drivers. But I have noticed more of the same in Michigan/Detroit over the last few years...

The age demographic in Metro Detroit is getting older in general...a lot less teens and tweens...and many more tetra-, penta-, sexta-, septa-, and octogenerians on the road....

speed perception changes in the 40s...

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Brian1979,You're right. Chicago is THE WORST. They have the slowest drivers in the world and the worst drivers. They swurve as they drive, drive slow as possible in the left [[fast) lane, they cross 3 lanes over at the last minute with NO warning. I HATE Chicago drivers. But I have noticed more of the same in Michigan/Detroit over the last few years...
    It's the story of my life, I love being in Chicago but the traffic that moves at 40 mph in the left lane for no reason at all when they have a quarter of a mile between them and the next car, I get that on the expressways in Chicago constantly. Then Chicago has the longest red lights I've ever seen, it seems like the light is red for 2-3 minutes solid backing traffic up and making cars idle it's time they come up with a sensor system that if there is a car approaching an intersection the light will be set to be green within 15 seconds or something like that. I can't believe how much time I've lost sitting in traffic in Chicago, the red lights are pathetic, the traffic flow is pathetic and the idea of having the Dan Ryan dwindle down to two lanes at both ends is beyond me, the part that goes into the Bishop Ford is two lanes in each direction, then it widens to three lanes, the entire stretch should be 4 lanes in each direction, it would do wonders to improving the flow on the Dan Ryan.

I hate when people drive slow. This takes away time from my agenda that consists 100% of productive uses of time and energy................like posting on an internet forum.

Or how about when have 2 lanes and Chicagoans stay in one single file line for a 1/4 mile long? Why don't they just get in the right lane instead of piling on behind each other? Or why do the sit behind a car that's making a left turn instead of just going around? Then when they see you about to go around they catch on and try to cut in front of you?

And what's up with the timing of the stop lights changing from green to yellow to red almost instantly?

Stupid NATIVE Chicago drivers!

7miledog has it right, Florida is very slow. The only saving grace is we are on vacation and not in a hurry. Those Florida traffic lights will definitely test your patience as well. Best to get a convertible and work on your tan.

What gets me about Chicago are all the "Express" lanes, with entrances and exits every mile or so. Not much of an express, then. There should be an express entrance at the city border that dumps you out downtown - that's where most of the traffic is going, anyway. I've seen a traffic jam in Chicago at 10PM on a Tuesday night, something I haven't even seen in NYC [[or LA for that matter)

I think smartphones are the cause of a lot of slow driving. It used to be mostly people talking on their cell phones driving 55 and swerving all over the place in the left lane. Now they aren't talking on their phone, but they keep looking down at their steering wheel or lap.

If I'm on Southfield between Rotunda & 94, you better believe I'm going to drive no more than 55 which is the speed limit there. No way I am I getting another ticket from the Allen Park police out on revenue patrol. If any doesn't like it, too bad. I'm not spending $100+ on a speeding ticket just to get out of your way.

That's me!

Unless I am running late I'm the guy doing 60 in a 70, 40 in a 45... And I laugh my ass off at the people who practically lose control of the vehicle to get around me, flipping me off & blowing the horn.

I'm also paying attention, not on my phone, etc.

Fine. Just get over to the right so the rest of us responsible drivers can move along, thank you very much.

^^ Responsible?

Speeding is not driving responsibly.

So is slow driving defined as someone who is just driving slower than someone else wants to travel?
    I drive the speed limit as I don't want a speeding ticket and the majority of people are passing me. Rarely do I come across someone who is driving slow and impeding my driving.

Oh I do. We've got a guy out here in the sticks that rarely drives more than about 20-25 even in 55 MPH zones. It scares the crap out of you when you come over a hill at 50-55 and you're suddenly within 100' or less of this idiot. These are two lane roads with no shoulders and long 'No Passing' zones, so it's either jam on the brakes or else.

Expressway; I'm going 60 mph. It's the most economic speed to drive. 55 - 60 is the sweet spot for fuel efficiency.

You have to go at least the minimum speed, which I think is now 55 mph. I seem to remember signs that used to say the minimum was 40.

However, the speed limit is just that, a limit. That doesn't mean you really get to go that speed depending on road conditions. Let's say you're driving down a residential street at 25 mph with a bunch of kids around. I believe you can be stopped for speeding/other hazard tickets.

I drive as far to the right as I can. I've noticed that it only takes me about 15 minutes more [[on average) to reach my destination compared to when I drive the limit or above. Impatient folks are more of a hazard than folks who are responsibly driving within the law, IMHO.

I witnessed an instance last summer where a gold SUV was driving down 75, and passed the Davidson he got so impatient that he cut right in front of a school bus, lost control and put it into the median. I think the guy wound up breaking his collarbone, his right arm and smashed his nose up pretty good. Personally, he got off pretty light considering that if he caused that school bus to have an accident there would have been an awful lot of parents pissed at that this guy.

I do agree; folks who are talking on the cell phone are a really bad hazard. I've noticed that folks who drive while talking seem to drive pretty much the same way that drunk drivers do. You can spot the difference from behind them; the drunks usually don't have their head tilted to one side.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Or how about when have 2 lanes and Chicagoans stay in one single file line for a 1/4 mile long? Why don't they just get in the right lane instead of piling on behind each other? Or why do the sit behind a car that's making a left turn instead of just going around? Then when they see you about to go around they catch on and try to cut in front of you?

And what's up with the timing of the stop lights changing from green to yellow to red almost instantly?

Stupid NATIVE Chicago drivers!
    I have seen this happen all over the place, not just in Chicago but say there will be a red light and there is 2 or even 3 lanes, I notice people all staying in the same lane. I'm like well ok I'll take the one of the other lanes and get around all of you. I see it time and time again, there will be 8 cars in one lane and 1 or 2 in the other lanes or something like that and Chicago has the most poorly timed traffic lights I have ever seen, it seems like every single traffic light you come up to is red. And then the major mile streets do nothing to serve traffic, a lot of them like Halsted, Ashland and Kedzie are one lane in each direction, some of them like Western and Cicero are multi lanes in each direction. It's just mindboggling how poorly Chicago does such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    What gets me about Chicago are all the "Express" lanes, with entrances and exits every mile or so. Not much of an express, then. There should be an express entrance at the city border that dumps you out downtown - that's where most of the traffic is going, anyway. I've seen a traffic jam in Chicago at 10PM on a Tuesday night, something I haven't even seen in NYC [[or LA for that matter)

I think smartphones are the cause of a lot of slow driving. It used to be mostly people talking on their cell phones driving 55 and swerving all over the place in the left lane. Now they aren't talking on their phone, but they keep looking down at their steering wheel or lap.
    The only place there are express-local lanes in Chicago is on the Dan Ryan, the Kennedy has reverse express lanes which means you can use the express lanes in the peak direction of travel, usually inbound during the morning and outbound during the afternoon. Another thing about Chicago that irks me is the 45 mph zone near the Circle interchange where the Dan Ryan, Kennedy and Eisenhower all interchange. They have entrance and exit ramps every 500 feet, there is at least 5 entrance/exit ramps within a quarter mile and everyone slows down big time in that area creating a major traffic choke. My theory is if you are going to be doing 55 at least have the common sense to not be in the left lane doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    If I'm on Southfield between Rotunda & 94, you better believe I'm going to drive no more than 55 which is the speed limit there. No way I am I getting another ticket from the Allen Park police out on revenue patrol. If any doesn't like it, too bad. I'm not spending $100+ on a speeding ticket just to get out of your way.
    I got pulled over by a Dearborn cop about 10 years ago going 75 on the Southfield, I didn't get a ticket but I will never drive more than 60 on that stretch now. I usually don't have to use that part of the Southfield, another area on the Southfield that is a speed trap is towards the end of the expressway part just before I-94 there's an exit there with speed limits of 25 mph and you better be going 25 or else you'll get pulled over. I'm not sure which city that is, it's either Dearborn Heights or Taylor I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Expressway; I'm going 60 mph. It's the most economic speed to drive. 55 - 60 is the sweet spot for fuel efficiency.

You have to go at least the minimum speed, which I think is now 55 mph. I seem to remember signs that used to say the minimum was 40.

However, the speed limit is just that, a limit. That doesn't mean you really get to go that speed depending on road conditions. Let's say you're driving down a residential street at 25 mph with a bunch of kids around. I believe you can be stopped for speeding/other hazard tickets.

I drive as far to the right as I can. I've noticed that it only takes me about 15 minutes more [[on average) to reach my destination compared to when I drive the limit or above. Impatient folks are more of a hazard than folks who are responsibly driving within the law, IMHO.

I witnessed an instance last summer where a gold SUV was driving down 75, and passed the Davidson he got so impatient that he cut right in front of a school bus, lost control and put it into the median. I think the guy wound up breaking his collarbone, his right arm and smashed his nose up pretty good. Personally, he got off pretty light considering that if he caused that school bus to have an accident there would have been an awful lot of parents pissed at that this guy.

I do agree; folks who are talking on the cell phone are a really bad hazard. I've noticed that folks who drive while talking seem to drive pretty much the same way that drunk drivers do. You can spot the difference from behind them; the drunks usually don't have their head tilted to one side.
    I agree with ya, there really is no reason to be going over the speed limit. Usually what I'll do is set my cruise at the speed limit and if the flow of traffic is moving faster I'll just use the gas pedal to move up to the speed the traffic is moving leaving my cruise on the speed limit that way if I have to slow down it'll just go back to where my cruise was set and if I have to go slower I'll just shut the cruise off and go with the flow, I won't be happy about having to go slower but that's life.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast