Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ilitch got all this for free after he bought 33,000 couches at
    ART VANS

Can you guess who is coming to town this Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I had this moment when I was downtown on the Grand Circus Park platform of the People Mover and I saw the screen all lit up for a test. I thought about the old ballpark, how contained you felt, how you looked down at the action, how you felt you could drop a Cracker Jack on their heads. And then I thought about the new park, where you're often so far away...

The idea of thousands of metro Detroiters driving miles and miles to sit in a ballpark and, essentially, watch television may be the most perfect metaphor for the region yet.
    I'll be at the game Thursday, enjoying the view and the game. Bonus: no worries that Detroitnerd will be sitting behind me bitching about everything...win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I had this moment when I was downtown on the Grand Circus Park platform of the People Mover and I saw the screen all lit up for a test. I thought about the old ballpark, how contained you felt, how you looked down at the action, how you felt you could drop a Cracker Jack on their heads. And then I thought about the new park, where you're often so far away...

The idea of thousands of metro Detroiters driving miles and miles to sit in a ballpark and, essentially, watch television may be the most perfect metaphor for the region yet.
    Comerica Park is no Fenway Park, but Comerica is a very nice ballpark and its better than those cookie-cutter stadiums of the 60s and 70s.

, Most people actually do care about the game and want to see their favorite players, instead of staring at an HD scoreboard for 9 innings.

The screen isn't going to be showing the game as it's being played. I think it will be great to see a replay on that screen rather than the one from the past.

I also think of other things they can do with it. When I was in Washington, D.C. they had movies scheduled to be played after certain games. I think the Tigers tried showing a movie once at Comerica Park...not the same with a screen this size.

A huge improvement and basically a standard for parks today.

I do think screens this big are a little over the top and a bit of a distraction. On the one hand I enjoy the useful new stats such as pitch speed/count, etc. but I hate the fact that fans use the board to tell them when to cheer. The cheering starts when the scoreboard says and then dies off as a pitch is being thrown instead of building to the pitch.

Was driving around last night at 3am downtown and the stadium was lit up. Driving down in front of the fox and I see the new screen. Holy crap its 5 times bigger then you think it is. The pictures give no real sense of how massive that screen is. You will not believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Can you guess who is coming to town this Thursday?

Detroit vs. Boston feetwarmers?

Bring on the Rays and, brrr, break out the Sun!

When will they put a second big video screen up? It is badly needed at the park.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsForTheHeart View Post
    When will they put a second big video screen up? It is badly needed at the park.

Why would they need a second screen?

Because one is never enough. They could show Madonna videos on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Because one is never enough. They could show Madonna videos on it.
    And you wouldn't even see the video on the screen as they don't have a second one for the people to watch on that same side of the field of the screen. I was at game the other night with great seats [[You need $$$$ for season tickets in this part) and could not even view the majority of the video screen.

The only place you don't have a good view of the screen is in left field. If it is a big deal for you don't buy tickets there.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    The only place you don't have a good view of the screen is in left field. If it is a big deal for you don't buy tickets there.

Exactly. They moved the entire scoreboard up higher so none of it is blocked by the left field upper deck any longer. The only place you can't see it is if it's behind where you're sitting.

There is no stadium in baseball that has two large video screens. And there are always going to be seats where you can't see the screen.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6