Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Funny Story and a Related Question

Back in the late 40's or early 50's my uncle was a chauffeur for a family in Grosse Pointe by the name of Ronnert...not sure of spelling but that's how it sounds...with a long "o" sound. Any way, my dad was a good mechanic, and one day my uncle asked him to come out and work on the limo. My mother stayed at home. A few hours later, there were police at her door, asking if she was related to John French, because his pants and wallet had been found along the shore on Lakeshore Drive. My mom freaked out. Turns out, my dad had taken off his pants and put on a coverall to work on the limo. He had placed the pants someplace on the limo...fender, bumper or some place, and when they took the limo for a test drive after the repairs had been made, the pants fell off and were found and the police notified. Well, I think it is funny, lol. Hope you did too. Any way, I'd love to know just where the Ronnert home was. I know it had a large [[at least 3 stall) brick garage for their vehicles. I have photos of my Uncle Scottie sitting in the limo in front of the garage.

Your clue about the long O sound lead me to think the proper spelling is Rohnert. A Google search came up with an old DYes thread on architect Marcus Burrowes with a mention of a Eleanor Rohnert House at 854 Edgemont Park in Grosse Pointe Park.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/88471.html?1180668830
    Last edited by Kathleen; January-30-12 at 11:57 PM.

Kathleen...Edgemont Park...I seem to recall my mom talking about that street when she talked about Uncle Scottie driving for that family. I do believe you've answered my question and found the house location. It is currently for sale I've discovered. I looked around inside and at the exterior photos shown. Kind of neat to know my uncle used to go into that house. No photos of the garage, which it says is 2 car. I believe the photos I have show a larger garage, but I may be wrong. Thanks for your detective work, based on the corrected spelling of the name Rohnert.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; February-03-12 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Thanks for your detective work, based on the corrected spelling of the name Rohnert.
    Huh, they were the namesakes for the rather boring Bay Area suburb of Rohnert Park. I spent a month there one weekend; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohnert...-DeClercq_13-1