Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Gilbert: At it AGAIN!

Dan Gilbert buys Federal Reserve building in Detroit

http://www.freep.com/article/2012013...text|FRONTPAGE

Kinda saw this one coming, what with it being attached to the Dime and empty for 8 years. Just incredible this guy is.

The growth of Gilbertown is full swing.

You beat me to the punch! I was just gonna post this. The thing I like about this one is that it is west of Woodward which I think needs more attention in terms of restoration. I'm loving the moves this guy is making and I'm excited to see what he plans to do with some of the buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    You beat me to the punch! I was just gonna post this. The thing I like about this one is that it is west of Woodward which I think needs more attention in terms of restoration. I'm loving the moves this guy is making and I'm excited to see what he plans to do with some of the buildings.

It kinda makes one think twice about Mike Ilitch, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    depends on what he does with the buildings....

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    depends on what he does with the buildings....
    Well, based on his past and current actions I'd say he's going to renovate and move jobs into it.

This is great news. I hope to see him continue to focus on Woodward though. I'd love to see Woodward reinvented and be the Michigan Avenue of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Well, based on his past and current actions I'd say he's going to renovate and move jobs into it.
    What past or current actions would give you that impression? Yes he completed the renovation of the Madison, but it was not a derelict building and a ton of work had already gone into it .. other than that, has he done anything, or announced anything happening with any of the empty buildings [[layne Bryant..etc?)? Of the nine [[10?) buildings he's bought, only a couple are of the derelict variety. The rest are fully operational..although mostly vacant. Its great Adamo trucks aren't idling in the parking lot, but does another 10 years of dereliction..waiting on Detroit 2.0, really amount to much more than Illitch hoarding gravel lots?

Not being negative, just withholding the beatification until something actually happens.
    Last edited by bailey; January-30-12 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    This is great news. I hope to see him continue to focus on Woodward though. I'd love to see Woodward reinvented and be the Michigan Avenue of Detroit.
    and Michigan Avenue becomes... ?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

Ilitch has some time to prove himself [[well, not too much time, he is 82 after all)

Makes sense, he now controls much of the block that the Dime sits on. only a couple more properties to go, both vacant!

I love it! About time someone takes an interest and makes some money in doing so..

Huffington coverage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ml?ref=detroit

I think that the most interesting part of the article says he will be seeking a SINGLE TENANT for 176,000 square feet of space!
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; January-30-12 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Huffington coverage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ml?ref=detroit

I think that the most interesting part of the article says he will be seeking a SINGLE TENANT for 176,000 square feet of space!

Chrysler? THAT would be a coup.

Just talked with someone working at the Chrysler Technology Center in Auburn Hills, and they confirmed... the place is filled to the brim....

It would be nice to have a few more Dan Gilberts come along and really kick the rennovation train into gear. It's always good to hear about something downtown being fixed up, and occupied.

I hope the Chrysler rumor is true, that would be huge.

Maybe Dan will move quicken into the federal reserve? Just think of the size of its bank vaults!

I'm happy to hear about another major aquisition. That said, my wish is the same as Gilbert's has always been and that is that more developers and companies not attached to him would make the leap after seeing the rewards. We're kind of quickly coming up on a point in this post-recession era where for me to believe in this long-term success of this recent wave of revitalization, I'd like to see some more major names following Gilbert's lead in terms of city center real estate. Gilbert can't do this all by himself, and I wouldn't even want him to, because, as others have brought up, you get one kingpin, you could very easily end up with another Ilitch empire. Not to say that Gilbert is not, BY FAR, a more benevolent kingpin, but diversive group of owners is always good for downtown real estate.

you have to give it a little bit of time before you can expect others to really jump at some of these buildings. gilbert has been doing it a year and with most of the structures he hasn't even started refurbishing. if in a year or two from now we dont see anyone else getting in the market after gilbert develops some of these properties and the broderick and whitney are up and running then ill be concerned. right now im just thrilled with what is going on.

i can also see the desire to compare gilbert and illitch, but there really arent very many similarities other than the fact they own a lot of land. illitch brought his company down which is fantastic, but he isnt actively recruiting others to do the same or involved in ventures to create new detroit companies, thats all gilbert. illitch has an entertainment empire which the city needs, but what gilbert is doing is more vital to the city and thats bringing jobs and residents in, people who will be able to enjoy the entertainment offerings that mike provides. both guys had done good things redeveloping the city, but what they are looking to do and how they have done it couldn't be more different.

Where is Dan's Gilbert sister company, Eprize located? Does it have plans to relocate Downtown and how many employees work for Eprize?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Where is Dan's Gilbert sister company, Eprize located? Does it have plans to relocate Downtown and how many employees work for Eprize?

ePrize is in Pleasant Ridge and has 300 employees. I'm surprised it's not in downtown already.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    ePrize is in Pleasant Ridge and has 300 employees. I'm surprised it's not in downtown already.
    ePrize can relocate into one of Dan Gilbert's building aquisation on Woodward Av. There will be much more foot traffic, with the addition of The M@dison, The Broderick Tower, Aloft Hotel @ The David Whitney, and other aquisation's he has right now, including retail and lofts. I can only imagine how Woodward Av. will be in a couple years..

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Yeah - that has bugged me for a year or two. I don't get it. Maybe Linkner loves himself some Pleasant Ridge.

Before Gilbert moved any employees downtown, ePrize was mentioned as one of the companies Gilbert would try and woo downtown. Give him time. Detroit wasn't rebuilt in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Before Gilbert moved any employees downtown, ePrize was mentioned as one of the companies Gilbert would try and woo downtown. Give him time. Detroit wasn't rebuilt in a day.
    Well I hope so, Hopefully sometime this year. What's ePrize lease agreement at the Pleasent Ridge Headquarters? Will it be up soon or are they re-leasing?

It is just a matter of time and timing for ePrize to move downtown.

Josh Linkner, is no longer leading ePrize, because he is now managing Detroit Venture Partners, located in the Madison Building.

If one were to gauge the speed and quality of transformation Dan Gilbert has brought to the Madison Building, the Chase Tower and so on, one would realize that Gilbert has it in him to make things happen.

Don't just take someone's word for it, go visit the Madison Building and the Chase Tower yourself and see with your own pair of eyes.