Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I find it best to ignore sensationalist sentences such as the bolded above. The blame game is not serving us well. The public servants on this committee I trust are doing their best to represent the public, and balance competing needs in economically difficult times.
    Members of a House Committee are NOT public servants--they are elected political figures.

BUREAUCRATS--the professionals with technical know-how, analytical skills, and an agenda of objectivity--are public servants.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    BUREAUCRATS--the professionals with technical know-how,
    Bureaucrats with technical know how sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    Bureaucrats with technical know how sounds like an oxymoron to me.
    Hardy har har. We get it--you hate gubmint "just because". So you'll denigrate the thousands of:

lawyers
    geologists
    engineers
    accountants
    doctors
    technicians
    archeologists
    scientists
    historians
    park rangers
    meteorologists
    and others who serve YOU

as incompentent simply because you have a political axe to grind.

How hilarious.

Hardy har har. We get it--you hate gubmint "just because". So you'll denigrate the thousands of:

lawyers
    geologists
    engineers
    accountants
    doctors
    technicians
    archeologists
    scientists
    historians
    park rangers
    meteorologists
    and others who serve YOU

as incompentent simply because you have a political axe to grind.

How hilarious.
    Unfortunately, the ratio of competence to deadwood is pretty low. I was a supervisory engineer [[GM-15) working for the federal government and the number of zombies I had to surmount to get anything done was appalling. There are too many high graded people that are high graded because of bureaucratic infighting skills rather than technical or professional competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Unfortunately, the ratio of competence to deadwood is pretty low. I was a supervisory engineer [[GM-15) working for the federal government and the number of zombies I had to surmount to get anything done was appalling. There are too many high graded people that are high graded because of bureaucratic infighting skills rather than technical or professional competence.
    So how is that different from any private-sector outfit?

So how is that different from any private-sector outfit?
    Private sector businesses in theory can go broke and thus "thin the herd". You can't stop being a customer of and paying the freight for the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Private sector businesses in theory can go broke and thus "thin the herd". You can't stop being a customer of and paying the freight for the government.
    So there are no successful private sector businesses with "dead-weight" employees, right?