Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Lucky Dyes readers I will have to leave the Forum to watch TV.

it was indeed jane cooper school on the show, and the producers and their "expert" grossly misrepresented what "nature" has done to the building in little more than two years, unless you consider scrappers and vandals to be forces of nature.

Years ago the city spent $15 million to redevelop that area into an industrial park. the city purchased and tore down homes and buildings, but the DPS refused to close the school, which caused problems creating parcels for redevelopment, ultimately, the land was never turned over to a developer and now it sits there, the streets blocked off by jersey barriers. It is a good example of what many academics and city planner types want to do with large parts of detroit: tear up the infrastructure, let nature take over, etc. unfortunately, in this case, that process cost $15 million with virtually nothing to show for it but a huge swath of city that visiting journalists and documentary filmmakers love to use as some kind of example for how the rest of the city looks. few take the time to understand what actually happened.

jane cooper was actually watched over by police for a little while after it closed, but its isolation and proximity to scrapyards doomed it within a matter of weeks once the police stopped patrolling. the windows would still be there if it weren't for vandals, and the damage the weather caused would have been minimal, like in ordinary cities where people who shutter buildings actually watch over them and don't allow scrappers free rein to take everything, from the pipes to the lockers to the seat bases in the gorgeous old auditorium. it is still a beautiful building with ornate plasterwork, pewabic tiles, classrooms with fireplaces, and original wooden built-in bookshelves. there are similar schools in detroit that were closed in 2005 that have been properly secured [[for the most part) and they show none of the damage jane cooper does inside.

so, in detroit, what would take 20 years in another city takes two years because we have a population of people who have no respect for others' property, or who are in such desperate states that they steal lockers and pipes to make ends meet [[depending on your point of view). I guess that's just too complicated for "life after people," even though "people" are mainly responsible for the damage they showed.

Yet another chance to see it again today at 7 p.m...........

Life After People : The Road to Nowhere Airs on Sunday January 03 07:00 PM
    The post-apocalyptic fate of our cars, planes and roads. Oil refineries turn into time bombs. In the Motor City, harsh northern winters dismantles auto headquarters. While in Texas, the Alamo succumbs to a new invader. Also, animals adapt: armadillos spread, some dogs rekindle their hunting instincts, and long-horn cattle flourish once again.

I've seen it before. The whole series is interesting. Pretty weird, and as some said you can see evidence already sans any special effects or animation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alley_Cat View Post
    Yet another chance to see it again today at 7 p.m...........

Life After People : The Road to Nowhere Airs on Sunday January 03 07:00 PM
    The post-apocalyptic fate of our cars, planes and roads. Oil refineries turn into time bombs. In the Motor City, harsh northern winters dismantles auto headquarters. While in Texas, the Alamo succumbs to a new invader. Also, animals adapt: armadillos spread, some dogs rekindle their hunting instincts, and long-horn cattle flourish once again.

One episode in season one took place in Detroit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Af...one_.282009.29

The problem that I have with the series is it's premise-that something wipes out humans but not other kinds of life.That's highly unlikely to happen that way.An atomic bomb or an asteroid would wipe out everything,one of those "selective" bombs that would leave buildings intact would still kill animals too,as would some toxic agent sent into the air,water,or food chain.I don't claim to be an expert so if any of you learned folk out there know of something that WOULD wipe out only humankind and leave everything else like the show says,please fill us in about it.

It's not really about why there are no more humans. The series just demonstrates how quickly our footprint on this planet can vanish over time.

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but the History Channel has been showing this episode quite a bit over the weekend, and I've finally had the chance to see it. I wanted to read others' thoughts about it, especially after all the discussions about the Dateline special and other media coverage.

I'm finding this episode much less creepy and disturbing than a lot of the others [[the pilot was the worst). Perhaps it's because, as someone said, we HAVE already experienced life after people in some parts of the city. I guess it's our task to prove that there is life after "Life After People".

Quote Originally Posted by KENSINGTONY View Post
    The problem that I have with the series is it's premise-that something wipes out humans but not other kinds of life.

I don't claim to be an expert so if any of you learned folk out there know of something that WOULD wipe out only humankind and leave everything else like the show says,please fill us in about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    It's not really about why there are no more humans.
    No, it isn't, but since the question was raised; given current science regarding genetic engineering, DNA genome mapping and biological warfare it isn't totally beyond the realm of possibility for someone to create a bug that targets human DNA and no other. There are already a number of diseases that only affect humans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2