Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's definitely a fight and not glitter and soapbubbles. We agree on that.

Well put, Baseline. Symbiosis.

This might be off-topic but I'd like to know what accounting methods Ford used when it calculated its' profits. Did they use standard accounting procedures or mark-to-market accounting? Did they include future revenue projections in their profits or change how they calculated depreciation? How about non-automotive revenue streams?

I'm happy for Ford but I long for the day when Metro Detroit's prosperity isn't so closely tied to this single industry.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm happy for Ford but I long for the day when Metro Detroit's prosperity isn't so closely tied to this single industry.
    Good luck with seeing that while you are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Good luck with seeing that while you are still alive.
    I know. But then again I'm sure people in Pittsburgh once thought that about steel...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I know. But then again I'm sure people in Pittsburgh once thought that about steel...
    And that is a good point I've thought about often. The leaders of Detroit have failed miserably getting themselves away from near complete reliance on the auto industry.

I don't see how this is great news. History repeats its self. Doom and gloom is ahead in 5-10 years like always unless the metro area makes the auto industry only account for less than 15% of the metro economy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    And that is a good point I've thought about often. The leaders of Detroit have failed miserably getting themselves away from near complete reliance on the auto industry.
    At 2:50 in GM's Detroit Renaissance Center HQ, the narrator says "... but only 13% of Detroit's workforce is employed by the auto makers." This was filmed in the 1970s.

Was that 13% figure correct? It kind of surprised me.

Great news for Ford and Ford employees.

Here's to hoping lots of Michigan products and services are purchased with the profit sharing checks [[from white collar and blue collar) and everyone wins a little bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2