Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hope they don't leave contrails.

Because Canada is such a threat. What a crock!

Default ?

I still don't get why border patrol is such an issue. I, like many others do not like long waits to enter & leave Canada. I have family there too. But the type of border surveillance being discussed is about monitoring illegal or suspicious activities outside of the traditional/legal modes of entry. Even when the border was more open, the border had some surveillance & illegal entry was guarded against. And that includes more than watching for terrorists. That includes drugs, weapons, illegal immigration...and probably more. I wish the border was open too...but the US & Canada have different gun laws, immigration laws, drug laws, different money, and many other aspects...until theyre more similar, then an open border doesn't make much sense. And if it's not an open border, then it should be guarded. Otherwise we are saying it's okay to have illegal activities at the northern border, but it's not okay at the southern border. It's all about being consistent. The US has never really monitored the Canadian border that strongly...who knows what illegal activities are allowed to go unchecked. We only know if we look out for it. Even if it isn't that much, it's just smart to patrol your own national border.

Yeah we're friends with Canada...but aren't we friends with Mexico too? When was the last time the United States officially went to war with Mexico? Should Mexico look at us guarding our southern border an act of aggression against their govenrment? We can be friends with governments, but that doesnt mean that indivuals will never try to cross our borders illegally & with ill intentions.

I don't think they'll be using these on the Detroit-Windsor border. Seems there's already enough ground personnel there to make it difficult for someone to cross unnoticed.
    "Seems" doesnt staff the border with actual humans. If they need more PEOPLE WORKING on the borders, by all means - hire away. All accounts seem to indicate that more PEOPLE are needed to staff appropriate teams to facilitate our OPEN border with Canada.

Predator Drones ?

Shit...Save those for the neighborhoods.

A few weeks ago flew into Toronto. Was searched by a guy in security with a long beard wearing a turban. They found a dime that was stuck in the corner of my pocket. Somehow, it all seemed a bit surreal.

I think the issue are the differences in Canadian and US immigration policies. Canada is a very welcoming country, but their policies aren't ours.

PBS/Frontline ran a piece awhile ago about the issue.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...tc/canada.html

Anti-defamation league has an opinion on the matter
    http://www.adl.org/terror/tu/tu_0401_canada.asp

The National, the Canadian news group reports:
    http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...in-canada.aspx

There is a ton of stuff on the internets about how lax Canada has been with allowing folks into their country and the clear implication is that once in Canada, the US is but a $3 dollar fare away. We all know the porous nature of the border, especially from Walpole on south.

Granted the current system bites. One use to be able to jet over and back on your lunch hour. A little Tunnel BBQ, a table dance and back. No more. The 9/11 terrorists sort of ruined that for the rest of us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2