Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    "Gross Pointe? Isn't that a well-to-do area outside Detroit. Yeah, let's run with this one."
    Except they never raised the issue of the socioeconomic divide and the residents' initial reactions to the crime.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    A friend of mine once said these high profile wife or child killing stories always seem to come from either Florida or Michigan.
    OJ, Calif.
    Scott Peterson, Calif
    Drew Peterson, Illinois
    Josh Powell, Utah

Nothing unique about Florida or Michigan.

"Gross Pointe? Isn't that a well-to-do area outside Detroit. Yeah, let's run with this one."

Actually, it's the "white woman murdered" story of the week. If this was a minority, we wouldn't be reading about it. Before you start screaming about this being racial, please name the last high profile kidnapped/missing/murdered case featured on the national news that wasn't about a white woman. Anyone?

From the Detroit News...

"Robert Bashara, 54, didn't pass the lie detector test administered by police Friday, a police source told The Detroit News on Sunday."

which tells you how unprofessional some of our police departments are in the Detroit area, or how gullible the press is to run with these kinds of statements. Absent an official statement from the GP police, this is nothing more a character assassination. Even if this guy is guilty, the police have no business engaging in this kind of behavior.

Let me give credit to the Free Press that did not lower itself to tabloid-style journalism.

"Police said Bob Bashara voluntarily took a polygraph test Friday evening. During that time, Grosse Pointe Park and Detroit police investigators, who are working the case jointly, searched the couple's home. They left with what appeared to be two computers. Neither department released additional details on the investigation Sunday.

Police also have not released the results of the polygraph test."
    Last edited by Novine; January-30-12 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole point of this site is to speak freely without being judged or attacked. There probably are racists on this site as well as peoplewho perpetuate stereotypes. My point to you is that everyone on here has a right to their own opinion whether you agree with it or not. I have disagreed with many people on here but I don't to resort to name calling to get my point across.
    You called me an 'ass-talker'. That is clearly calling someone a name. Your hypocrisy continues to shine through.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    OJ, Calif.
    Scott Peterson, Calif
    Drew Peterson, Illinois
    Josh Powell, Utah

Nothing unique about Florida or Michigan.
    I'd beg to differ on Florida. Seems like we can't go 6 months without a high profile disappearance/murder from there. The person who made the comment isn't from Michigan or Florida though so it was interesting to me that someone with no connections to either place would have such a perception.

Buy American Guest

The recent case from Florida was the Casey Anthony murder trial that I recall....refresh my memory about all the high profile cases in the last couple of years from Florida.

I offered the 4 other high profile cases, from other states, just to show that there is nothing unique about Michigan or Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    The recent case from Florida was the Casey Anthony murder trial that I recall....refresh my memory about all the high profile cases in the last couple of years from Florida.

I offered the 4 other high profile cases, from other states, just to show that there is nothing unique about Michigan or Florida.
    There is a woman from Florida who is missing now -- and likely dead -- that they mention about once a week in the national media. I think she and her ex were on Judge Judy the day that she disappeared [[eerily similar to the Scott Amedure case now that I think about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Actually, it's the "white woman murdered" story of the week. If this was a minority, we wouldn't be reading about it. Before you start screaming about this being racial, please name the last high profile kidnapped/missing/murdered case featured on the national news that wasn't about a white woman. Anyone?
    Spot on.

which tells you how unprofessional some of our police departments are in the Detroit area, or how gullible the press is to run with these kinds of statements. Absent an official statement from the GP police, this is nothing more a character assassination. Even if this guy is guilty, the police have no business engaging in this kind of behavior.
    This could be intentional; a way of putting pressure on a suspect or drawing out another suspect. Not saying this is the case here, but it may be a matter of "technique".

Originally Posted by Novine

Spot on.
    Exactly.. [[except I would put it as white "anything"...girl, baby, woman..). anyone see any follow up on Bianca Jones? *crickets*
    I did see 4 reports this morning on the blood found in the basement of the house of that toddler that disappeared in Maine though.

Oh yeah, nancy grace is on the case.
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...er-case-on-gma

Also, re the polygraph... Channel 4 stated on their newscasts that police sources leaked that there were "inconsistencies" about the timeline and NOT a Failure of the Poly. No doubt the headlines were sensationalized because you can't have a 13 hour old story sitting on your webpage without updates as that will kill your hit count.
    Last edited by bailey; January-30-12 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post

I was actually making this point to someone over the weekend, comparing this current case to the murder of Rose Cobb, the wife of a DPD sergeant who was shot to death in the parking lot of a CVS in Detroit back in 2007. Lots of similarities in the cases: Well known woman being murdered, suspicion falling on the husband, etc. That case got very little coverage and almost no follow up until the confessed killer, arrested on another crime, admitted to killing her after being hired by the husband to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    I was actually making this point to someone over the weekend, comparing this current case to the murder of Rose Cobb, the wife of a DPD sergeant who was shot to death in the parking lot of a CVS in Detroit back in 2007. Lots of similarities in the cases: Well known woman being murdered, suspicion falling on the husband, etc. That case got very little coverage and almost no follow up until the confessed killer, arrested on another crime, admitted to killing her after being hired by the husband to do so.

There was PLENTY of coverage regarding the murder of Rose Cobb, and I'm quite sure the follow up was hushed as the DPD focus was on a DPD sergeant.
    Also, Jane Bashara was murdered last Wednesday, barely 5 days into the initial investigation, so yes, it's going to be big news.
    As far as
    anyone see any follow up on Bianca Jones? *crickets*
    ...she went missing December 2. There was an article about her in the Freep 12/26, and Fox2 did a story about her 01/20. So perhaps wait at least that long with the Bashara case and see where it ends up before you go suggesting unfair media coverage based on race.
    Last edited by Alley; January-30-12 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    There was PLENTY of coverage regarding the murder of Rose Cobb, and I'm quite sure the follow up was hushed as the DPD focus was on a DPD sergeant.
    He was talking about from the national media.

I drove by the home this morning on my way in to work and there were 5 tv news vans in front, across the street. All of them had their engines running with people sitting inside. NO ONE was doing anything.

Perhaps they were watching the grass grow...

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Nancy Grace is a _ _ _ _ Fill in the blanks, you have multiple choice options.

He was talking about from the national media.
    Thanks, iheartthed.

I haven't read this thread, nor am I saying a word in regards to it. Once it's solved, it will be schadenfreude to go back and read it to see who was spot on in their analysis and wisdom... and get a chuckle out of the rest of he 'keyboard comments"...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I haven't read this thread, nor am I saying a word in regards to it. Once it's solved, it will be schadenfreude to go back and read it to see who was spot on in their analysis and wisdom... and get a chuckle out of the rest of he 'keyboard comments"...
    I don't believe that you have not read this thread. Your purported non-interest is duly noted, however.
    A lot is at stake here, and you are not helping the internet community in solving this crime.
    Good day,
    Sir or Maam

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I drove by the home this morning on my way in to work and there were 5 tv news vans in front, across the street. All of them had their engines running with people sitting inside. NO ONE was doing anything.

Perhaps they were watching the grass grow...
    I have been in a place where this happened. The trucks stay around for days and days just waiting for someone to come outside, drive up, or whatever, so they can get a sound bite or two. Some of the "reporters" [[and I use that term loosely) are more intrusive than others, but generally they are nothing but a pain to the neighborhood. They usually tape a "promo" piece sometime before the evening news. Then, they do live reports at 5pm, 5:30pm and 6:00pm from the location. Sometimes they repeat the process for the late night news. Their presence is nothing but a thorn in the side to the neighborhood while the "story" is still making "news".

I don't like the way they show the houses/addresses of accused or admitted criminals. You never know when some kind of retaliation might spill over to others in the neighborhood. I have lived this and was nervous for weeks about this particular ramification of their "news reporting".

I just think there has to be a better way!

There is no way the husband walked, or jogged 6 miles in 90 minutes in his physical condition, that time of night, weather, without being seen, etc.. it just didn't happen. If it did, I would be very very surprised.

I still think he did it, or is involved.

Here is a fairly decent site to track this kind of stuff.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161058

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    I don't believe that you have not read this thread. Your purported non-interest is duly noted, however.
    A lot is at stake here, and you are not helping the internet community in solving this crime.
    Good day,
    Sir or Maam
    I don't know why this just made me laugh so hard, but it did!

There is a woman from Florida who is missing now -- and likely dead -- that they mention about once a week in the national media. I think she and her ex were on Judge Judy the day that she disappeared [[eerily similar to the Scott Amedure case now that I think about it).
    Actually the woman's name is Michelle Parker and she was on the People's Court [[I know what you mean those judge shows are all alike). I believe the Florida authorities know exactly what happen to her. Also I believe the DPD know exactly what happen to little Bianca. However knowing and being able to prove it can be two very different things

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    Thanks, iheartthed.

I was responding to

If this was a minority, we wouldn't be reading about it.

and what we've been 'reading about it' is local.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    I was responding to

and what we've been 'reading about it' is local.

Okay, not to nitpick, but if you were responding to something someone else said, why did you quote me?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast