Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Could the Southgate Shopping Center be next to die?

I have heard that two area Old Country Buffet locations shut down for good. One of those was at the Southgate Shopping Center. Here's the article: http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...0140104750.txt

So I am raising the question the title of this thread says. I have noticed recently that the parking lot was only about 10% occupied! There are now only a handful of open stores here. The closing of OCB has left yet another vacant mark on the corner of Eureka and Trenton, the shopping center once hosted a Montgomery Ward, a Service Merchandise, a Farmer Jack and a Borders Express. All of these have left the shopping center [[the former and latter via bankruptcy).

I believe that the Southgate Shopping Center may be well on it's way to becoming yet another Metro Detroit-Windsor ruin. I have included a picture of the former Montgomery Ward that I took earlier this month below. Do you also know of a strip mall or similar that is suffering the same fate such as Southgate's sister shopping center Eastgate? I know that the Lincoln Park Shopping Center is suffering a similar fate, but it was because there was a rumor that a Walmart was being built there.

Name:  Former_Montgomery_Ward_SSC.jpg
Views: 3325
Size:  18.0 KB
    Last edited by mtburb; January-23-12 at 03:14 PM.