Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default New Book: Dead of Night by Barbara Nadel now available!!

Raise your glass...and toast Barbara Nadel....hear...hear!!!

Dead of Night
    has been published!!!

Barbara Nadel's detective mystery set in Detroit is now available for purchase in the U.K. and will be available May 1 here in the U.S.

Barbara so kindly mailed a copy Dead of Night to me and Dave which we received a couple days ago!! It was so exciting to see it in print...and to read her wonderful acknowledgements mentioning her visit to Detroit last March!!

Cross your fingers....she is hoping to make a visit to Detroit in May or June to promote her book here!!

Here's the Amazon synopsis:
    "Barbara Nadel's gripping new Turkish crime novel tackles the treacherous and seedy underworld of Detroit's gang warfare.

Inspectors Cetin Ikmen and Mehmet Suleyman from Istanbul are sent to a policing conference in Detroit, but little can prepare them for the corruption that lies at its heart. When Ezekial Goins, an elderly man of Turkish descent approaches them to crack the long-unsolved murder of his son, a quiet trip takes a far more sinister turn. As they delve deeper into the case, the pair find themselves immersed in a terrifying world of inter-gang drug war and racial prejudice that puts them in mortal danger, and forces Ikmen to confront some demons of his own..."

To order a copy of her book from Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+night&x=0&y=0

To place an advance order of the book from Amazon US:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+dead+of+night

For background...

the original New Book thread: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...11543-New-book

and the thread on her visit to Detroit to do research: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?7489-Greetings-from-Manchester-[[England)&highlight=coming+detroit

Wow, that was fast! Can't wait to read it.

Thanks Kathleen - I just hope that people enjoy it. It was fascinating and fun to research and write and it introduced me to a city I will visit again and again. And yes, it was quick, but that's publishing these days. Unless you're famous you have to be quick.

Pre-Ordered 2 copies from Amazon...one for me and one for my granddaughter, Jessica!
    Hi, Barbara....hope we get to see when you are here!

Barbara had a book reading in Istanbul last month:

Barbara Nadel shines at Pera Palace
    http://www.todayszaman.com/news-2656...ra-palace.html

Read some tidbits about her visit to Detroit and the Django special tour she got!!
    Last edited by Kathleen; January-23-12 at 01:31 PM.

I dont think Ive ever been called fabulous before, especially in print. What an honor.

Thanks Barb. Cant wait to see you and have you sign a copy for me. Sumas an Ron just got their copy today in the mail from you and weve been stoked all day. Cant wait to read it after Sue an Ron do. Sues tearin into as we speak. My new nickname is now F.D. Fabulous Django, with tounge in cheek of course.

Name:  IMG_0496.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  28.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I dont think Ive ever been called fabulous before, especially in print. What an honor.

Thanks Barb. Cant wait to see you and have you sign a copy for me. Sumas an Ron just got their copy today in the mail from you and weve been stoked all day. Cant wait to read it after Sue an Ron do. Sues tearin into as we speak. My new nickname is now F.D. Fabulous Django, with tounge in cheek of course.

Name:  IMG_0496.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  28.9 KB
    Ah, but you are fabulous and always will be! Can't wait to see you and everyone else either. I'm hoping for the summer and am trying to blag an air ticket from my publisher even as we speak. Otherwise I'll just have to keep watching air ticket prices until I find one I can afford. One way or another I will make it. And of course I have a book for you too - I just didn't know where you were for a bit. Shall I send it to Sue and Ron's?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Pre-Ordered 2 copies from Amazon...one for me and one for my granddaughter, Jessica!
    Hi, Barbara....hope we get to see when you are here!
    Hiya! Thanks for that. I hope you enjoy the book and I hope to be back really soon.

I finally got some uninterrupted read time yesterday and spent it with Barbara Nadel's Dead of Night.

I give a hearty Thumbs Up!!!

Here are some thoughts [[without giving away any plot lines or Detroit mentions):

It was interesting...the plot kept me wondering and wanting for more...and all the different angles [[in both Detroit and Istanbul) came together by the last page!!!

Loved not only the Detroit sites that Barbara wove into the story as expected, but the bits of history and culture, some of which only real Detroiters would recognize!!!

Of course, it was really gratifying to know that some of the sites and parts of the city that Dave and I showed her ended up in the book.

I also truly loved how Barbara wrapped up the book with a shout out for the D!! It was a perfect ending!!

Let's all hope that once the book is available for purchase here in the U.S. that Barbara can make a visit and have some book-signings around town.

How can we wait til MAY for the book now? Have to get a Kindle!

Will get some more copies out to you all in the next week or so - probably via Kathleen and Sue if that's OK. Also I still owe Django a copy - I haven't forgotten! I've been on jury service for the last few weeks and have only just got back to my desk. Very interesting in court but it's nice to be out of there. What I saw were as much social problems allied to the inequalities in our society as they were crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nadel View Post
    Very interesting in court but it's nice to be out of there. What I saw were as much social problems allied to the inequalities in our society as they were crimes.
    That's because you have a heart and soul to go along with your brain and body...and understand the law is designed to serve people, not the other way around. It has gotten bastardized by a few so they can lord over the many.

A few WEEKS of jury duty?! Whoa...that's a load of pomp. They ARE still wearing wigs around the dock, aren't they?!

Cheers from sunny, but chilly, Detroit...