Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Carlos Pena has signed to return to the Rays. Lots of people wanted the Tigers to get him but Cabrera would be walked every time to get to Pena and go for the strikeout. We need a guy with decent power who makes contact and doesn't strike out a lot behind Cabrera. Unfortunately nobody on the current roster fits that criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Carlos Pena has signed to return to the Rays. Lots of people wanted the Tigers to get him but Cabrera would be walked every time to get to Pena and go for the strikeout. We need a guy with decent power who makes contact and doesn't strike out a lot behind Cabrera. Unfortunately nobody on the current roster fits that criteria.
    I'm thankful we didn't sign Pena. I agree with you. It wasn't like Victor Martinez hit homeruns constantly and scared you with that sort of power. He could get a hit consistently and that was his value in protecting Cabrera. Sure, Pena could go yard but he could also strike out just as easily. The VMart position needs to be replaced with a pure hitter- not necessarily a long ball sort of threat.

The closest we have on the team IMHO is probably Brennan Boesch but seeing as how he's got some wheels and on-base percentage I like him ahead of Cabrera. We just need the follow-up to that duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'm thankful we didn't sign Pena.
    You and me both.

VMart's injury is really depressing news, especially with the names being thrown around for a replacement. Pena? Johnny F*cking Damon? Then we have the most laughable name of all, Prince Fielder. I mean, really people, you think Fielder is going to sign here for a year and take the chance of injury and/or shitty season bringing down his market value? Not to mention the Daddy issues. I highly doubt it.

Wow, ken rosenthal [[twitter) saying that Prince fielder close to signing with tigers?

If true, wow x100.

Edit:I'll be eating a Little Caesars Hot n Ready tonight. The pizza kind of sucks, but I'll be eating it with huge ass smile on my face.
    Last edited by rjk; January-24-12 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq;
    Then we have the most laughable name of all, Prince Fielder. I mean, really people, you think Fielder is going to sign here for a year and take the chance of injury and/or shitty season bringing down his market value? Not to mention the Daddy issues. I highly doubt it.
    somebody is laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I know, right? I am still in shock -- as I prepare my crow flambe'

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    His name is Scott Boras. Nobody wants your guy? Every GM in the league is laughing when you ask for 9 yrs and 200 million+? Better call Mikey.