Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Don't get me wrong. I'll be cheering for Prince as loud as anyone. I just think it must be strange for Dombrowski trying to be a GM under Ilitch. Ilitch has wanted a World Series for several years. So why not let Dombrowski know he can spend as much as he needs or get any player he thinks will get the team to the Series as long as he runs it by him first? The Tigers could have had Adrian Beltre, [[32 HR, 105 RBI, .296), a true 3rd baseman, for 6 yrs/96 million last season. Think that would have been nice added to Cabrera and Martinez? Throw Polanco at 2nd base for chump change and then sign Roy Oswalt or Edwin Jackson as a number 5 starter. There's just so much more the Tigers could have done with less money before Martinez was injured if Ilitch would just tell Dombrowski his "real" budget and let him plan ahead over a couple of seasons instead of being sold on a whim by Boras once again.

There's nothing written in stone that both Cabrera and Fielder have to stay for the length of their contracts. Cabrera's deal looks cheap now compared to recent signings. In a couple years that's a very movable contract. Pure speculation, but I'm also wondering if Cabrera's personal problems might have played a long-term role in Fielder's deal.

As for the pizza man, it sure beats being a Milwaukee fan. We've been on that end before. I actually felt sorry for Milwaukee's GM, knowing that there wasn't a chance in hell they could sign Fielder. That's akin to us staring at a new season without Cabrera or Fielder, and that wouldn't be any fun at all.

And a friendly reminder that baseball is 90% pitching, and even though our hitters could have done better, it's why we lost the ALCS.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    There's nothing written in stone that both Cabrera and Fielder have to stay for the length of their contracts. Cabrera's deal looks cheap now compared to recent signings. In a couple years that's a very movable contract. Pure speculation, but I'm also wondering if Cabrera's personal problems might have played a long-term role in Fielder's deal.

As for the pizza man, it sure beats being a Milwaukee fan. We've been on that end before. I actually felt sorry for Milwaukee's GM, knowing that there wasn't a chance in hell they could sign Fielder. That's akin to us staring at a new season without Cabrera or Fielder, and that wouldn't be any fun at all.

And a friendly reminder that baseball is 90% pitching, and even though our hitters could have done better, it's why we lost the ALCS.
    When they got Fielder the first thing I thought of was whether they know something about Cabrera relating to his past troubles. It is a very movable contract. In 5-6 years, with Fielder still in his baseball prime, his contract may be very movable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There's just so much more the Tigers could have done with less money before Martinez was injured if Ilitch would just tell Dombrowski his "real" budget and let him plan ahead over a couple of seasons instead of being sold on a whim by Boras once again.
    Agreed. This Fielder move seems more like it was orchestrated from the top down from Mike Ilitch as opposed to Dombrowski. Sometimes I think Mike Ilitch just looks into the vault, feels kinda thrifty and goes and gets himself something fun- in this case, an All-Star first baseman in Prince Fielder.

I remember back with the Wings pre-salary cap days, they were considered the New York Yankees of hockey. I'm wondering if Mike Ilitch is going to be the new Steinbrenner now. As a Tigers fan we should be thankful that we have an owner that's willing to do anything in his power to win but we should also be wary because ultimately it's us fans that end up paying for his ventures.