Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Detroit has an 83% black population...

Detroit will NEVER have a white mayor in my lifetime.
    72% of the population of the United States is white yet we have a Black President.

Point MidTownMs!

I would vote for Mr. Gilbert! Detroit has been in the hands of some fools for the past 30 years and have driven many good investors away in the name of black enpowerment. That's not the way to build up a city. If Detroit is ever going to be a strong city to compete with other major cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc, this ENTIRE metropolitan area has to come together and help build up this city. This is everyone's city. It has nothing to do with your race! We need EVERYONE to work together to make a bigger and better Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    Detroit will elect a white mayor when a white candidate who show's an interest in the needs of the current residents, runs for office. Although many people are nostalgic about Detroit prior to Coleman Young, you must realize Black people did not share that same level of prosperity. Blacks were systematically TERRORIZED [[i.e. Dr. Ossian Sweet), by the white residents and leaders of Detroit, which caused 3 riots in 1863, 1943, and 1967. This was the reason that Blacks voted for a Black person in the first place! Contrary to popular belief, Coleman Young never told whites to leave Detroit, but he did tell criminals to hit 8mile. But as I digress, Black people want to see the city prosper just as much if not more than Whites, and before Dan Gilbert [[or any other candidate, white or black) consider an office they must first connect with the people who are already there.

Very well said. My observations would lead many people to believe that it's more so the "He/She doesn't understand us because they haven't lived here" as opposed to the black/white situation. And we all know that although it shouldn't matter, race does matter. Well most prominent people who would run for mayor of Detroit don't live in Detroit. Which tends to make Detroit residents [[and I don't mean all of them or most of them) suspicious right off the bat. Plus the horrific voter turnout for an election would also lead most people that most of the city doesn't care who's running the city. It's kind of a weird problem when you think about it.

To prove a point, who do you think would win a hypothetical election? Dan Gilbert, presently, as the city do gooder? Or Kwame Kilpatrick, the "Hip Hop Mayor" circa his first election? My bets Kwame because he "identifies with the people and knows what it takes because he's been there."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    To prove a point, who do you think would win a hypothetical election? Dan Gilbert, presently, as the city do gooder? Or Kwame Kilpatrick, the "Hip Hop Mayor" circa his first election? My bets Kwame because he "identifies with the people and knows what it takes because he's been there."
    Identifies with what people and been where...Prison?

Talk about racial preferences in voting is moronic and we should stop. First, I do believe most Detroiters [[and most people anywhere) vote for the person they think will do the best job. They may not always be correct, but that is their intent. Second, since no one's real intent can be ascertained other than by confession, you never can be sure why any election goes the way it does. But a larger point is that no one needs to identify the motivation for their vote. Being an American is full justification for you to vote [[or not vote) as you like. Your vote is free to be cast by you for any motivation. A vote based on sound judgment or based on partisan loyalty or racial pride/hatred are all equally valid. Your vote is yours to spend as you like. I'd be happy to vote black or white. I will vote for my dog if he can make it easier to license a private business and promised to abolish the city income tax.

... does mr. gilbert currently live in detroit?

...what would his policies be on addressing public safety, neighborhood redevelopment, blight removal, mass transit..

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Identifies with what people and been where...Prison?
    Re-read the quote. He hadn't been to prison before his first election, which I stated.

http://bedrockmgt.com/properties.html

Bedrock has updated it's website with info on 1520 and 1528 Woodward. Looks like they want a repeat of the Madison Building idea with street level retail and business incubation on upper floors.

He will be living in one of the penthouses at the Broderick Towers, he mention awhile back. He's addressed "Neighborhood redevelopment, worked with blight removal, and is a board member for the light-rail projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ... does mr. gilbert currently live in detroit?

...what would his policies be on addressing public safety, neighborhood redevelopment, blight removal, mass transit..

I am convinced that Detroit will not come back unless there is gentrification done on a mass scale. Part of that movement will probably include a white mayor. If the person is someone who cares about the city and can make things happen I wouldn't have a problem with it. Mr. Gilbert probably will need more vetting but he would most likely be as good if not better than the slim pool of black candidates that might want the job.

Thats my whole point about making this thread. Their need to be a major changes, politically, physically, economically, etc. Keep electing the same type of official is not working. Dan Gilbert can be the first in America to bring a major city back to its feet, without being a "typical politcian", but a business man who "Leads" Detroit in the right direction as he does so well with all of his businesses. Very possible

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I am convinced that Detroit will not come back unless there is gentrification done on a mass scale. Part of that movement will probably include a white mayor. If the person is someone who cares about the city and can make things happen I wouldn't have a problem with it. Mr. Gilbert probably will need more vetting but he would most likely be as good if not better than the slim pool of black candidates that might want the job.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Re-read the quote. He hadn't been to prison before his first election, which I stated.

Well Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse Me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2