Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Stick your heads in the sand and ignore the obvious, it doesn't make a difference to me except if the overflow spills into my neighborhood, and I am prepared as is our police department. As much as I want to see Detroit grow and prosper, some will continue to make excuses for the criminals, criticize others for their opinions or observations, and let the criminals [[including the ones in the CAY building) run Detroit. Good luck with that!

I know of a good cleaners where you can take your hood and robes too. They will even give it back to with a nice finish and not too much starch either!

Stick your heads in the sand and ignore the obvious, it doesn't make a difference to me except if the overflow spills into my neighborhood, and I am prepared as is our police department. As much as I want to see Detroit grow and prosper, some will continue to make excuses for the criminals, criticize others for their opinions or observations, and let the criminals [[including the ones in the CAY building) run Detroit. Good luck with that!
    Bet you were one the types appaulding Nevers and Budzyn they were just "knocking a few heads". Maybe the solution is the police doing their damn job, too many times I've seen someone run a red light in front of DPD and them do nothing. There's a big fucking difference between them doing their job and asses like you wanting them to knock heads and violate peoples civil rights.
    Last edited by MSUguy; January-23-12 at 04:23 PM.

Conversations about crime on this forum always seem to bring out posters' extreme political views, and emotional responses grounded in fear and ignorance. Opinions regarding a more top heavy approach, or making excuses for crimes perpetrated onto the general public, are only dealing with the symptoms of the problem, not the causes.

And for those who think that STRESS will save the day, let me remind you about a similar organization referred to as GANG SQUAD, who after years of being givin free reign to terrorize the "criminal element" have reduced themselves to picking on defenseless, law abiding citizens with their organized crime like mentality and lazy policing. But if you don't live here or have family who does, chances are that you haven't had the pleasure of dealing with these rights abusers as of yet. They're a deterent all right. To current residents living in the City of Detroit.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; January-23-12 at 06:36 PM. Reason: sp

Buy American Guest

To all of you who choose to come down on the messenger, have at it. Detroit will never be the great city it once was as long as people like you refuse to admit there is a huge problem and something needs to be done. You can dance around the problem all you want and the murders, car jacking, robberies, and raping of your youngsters will continue. Detroit is a lawless place and chaotic at best. Police do their jobs to the best of their ability and work with what is given to them [[running a red light in front of DPD) is the least of the problems in Detroit. ...Godbee and Bing pussy foot around the problem and promise the citizens the world, but when push comes to shove, the thugs do all the pushing and shoving. until people begin to accept responsibility for what is happening there, Detroit will be doomed. Incidentally, my view is not extreme and is shared by thousands of other people who once was born in, raised, educated, married, worked in and raised kids in Detroit and who hate to see what it has become.
    Last edited by Buy American; January-23-12 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The Channel 7 video of the confrontation engaged in by the alleged murderer's family outside of the courthouse provides a sad glimpse of the destructive tenacity of the lifecycling of the criminal underclass in our city. The accused, Jacob Welcome Wells, is no Boy Scout. Rather, he is a career criminal with five convictions in the last twelve years. The convictions include a firearms felony and a separate home invasion incident. [[Does anybody want to bet there aren't juvenile or Holmes Youth Trainee Act convictions?)

But the sad point is not Wells' lengthy rap sheet, but rather that this loser would have any supporters in his family. Would any DYes poster have anything to do with a family member whose life's work consists of five felony convictions? I doubt it. A family that is law abiding and cares about its children's future and its community would have jettisoned this guy long ago.

Yet this guy's family has his back at the arraignment and included some members so supportive that they were willing to throw down right outside of the courthouse in front of cameras. The behavior demonstrates that the accused comes from family obviously entrenched in criminal culture. The young woman who grabbed the camera tripod, quickly broke off the leg to make a weapon, and eagerly advanced toward the victim's family to whup some ass was clearly no stranger to causing violence. What are the chances that she has never had law enforcement contact? She learned her behavior from somewhere and someone who likely can't be described as law abiding either. And of course, sadly, given this context, what are the chances that she will raise children who will not continue the cycle.

The video was relatively brief, but it made a large statement about urban crime. It cycles through families and social networks that have no positive role models. Solutions to breaking this cycle are maddeningly elusive.
    This was a very good post highlighting the fact that it is a criminal culture. The solution will revolve around the ability to break that culture. What Buy American offers is more of a knee jerk reaction and will only serve to violate peoples civil rights without reducing the problem [[STRESS seems to be the example we are using)

Another example is the death sentence for certain crimes, It has been shown that it is not a deterrent to violent crime but we all seem to believe that it is. Jail is not a deterrent to drug dealing, it has been shown that you arrest one drug dealer and there are 10 waiting to take his place.

So what do you do to address Buy American's question ?

It depends on what kind of criminal culture you need to address. The no snitching culture of the Mafia got broken up by giving mob guys 30 years in jail rather than the 5 or 8 they were getting, 10 if you tell what you know.

I know this 2 years for committing a crime with a gun is a joke if you want to get rid of guns.

Time in prison among the general population where the perp has his friends and family [[extended and otherwise) is not a deterrent to a lot of guys.

The death sentence is not a deterrent because a lot of guys equate that with freedom.

The one thing that sticks out that prisoners hate [[ if you watch the lock-up shows) is solitary confinement.

Parental accountablity could be the one thing that addresses the criminal acts of teenagers.

As a society we need to try different things to see what works. Ideas like STRESS has been tried and didn't work so we need to search until we find something that does.
    Last edited by firstandten; January-23-12 at 07:04 PM.

Buy American Guest

I'm for my tax money being used to build more 6 x 6 one room, no window, no tV, no computer, no cell phone, no access to the law library, no gym equipment, prison. Maybe firstandten is right, solitary confinement for 30 years will do it. But first you have to catch the thugs, prosecute them, remember not to step on their toes, don't say the wrong thing in the courtroom otherwise the case is thrown out, make sure their lawyer is paid for by the State, and that their rights are covered 100%. Then, somewhere down the line, the victim and the family will have some closure.

Ugh....

A fight breaks out in front of a courtthouse

And not one single cop standing around to stop it.

BTW, what's up with Detroit newspapers and media never doing "Mugs in the News." Anytime someone is arrested and booked, their photo goes straight to the paper. Of course with fine print way at the bottom..

"a defendant is presumed innocent unless proven guilty and convicted"

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    This was a very good post highlighting the fact that it is a criminal culture. The solution will revolve around the ability to break that culture. What Buy American offers is more of a knee jerk reaction and will only serve to violate peoples civil rights without reducing the problem [[STRESS seems to be the example we are using)

Another example is the death sentence for certain crimes, It has been shown that it is not a deterrent to violent crime but we all seem to believe that it is. Jail is not a deterrent to drug dealing, it has been shown that you arrest one drug dealer and there are 10 waiting to take his place.

So what do you do to address Buy American's question ?

It depends on what kind of criminal culture you need to address. The no snitching culture of the Mafia got broken up by giving mob guys 30 years in jail rather than the 5 or 8 they were getting, 10 if you tell what you know.

I know this 2 years for committing a crime with a gun is a joke if you want to get rid of guns.

Time in prison among the general population where the perp has his friends and family [[extended and otherwise) is not a deterrent to a lot of guys.

The death sentence is not a deterrent because a lot of guys equate that with freedom.

The one thing that sticks out that prisoners hate [[ if you watch the lock-up shows) is solitary confinement.

Parental accountablity could be the one thing that addresses the criminal acts of teenagers.

As a society we need to try different things to see what works. Ideas like STRESS has been tried and didn't work so we need to search until we find something that does.

BEST post I have seen on the topic today, coherent and to the point unlike BA's preference for the US to stand up its own version of the SA terrorizing the citizens into submission of the law whether they are innocent or not...

I'm for my tax money being used to build more 6 x 6 one room, no window, no tV, no computer, no cell phone, no access to the law library, no gym equipment, prison. Maybe firstandten is right, solitary confinement for 30 years will do it. But first you have to catch the thugs, prosecute them, remember not to step on their toes, don't say the wrong thing in the courtroom otherwise the case is thrown out, make sure their lawyer is paid for by the State, and that their rights are covered 100%. Then, somewhere down the line, the victim and the family will have some closure.
    What I think will happen... what I hope will happen is that after a while the criminal element will do a cost-benefit analysis in their head realize there activities aren't worth the risk and either find another line of work or if they just can't shake the criminality in them go to some kind of non-violent crime were the punishment won't be as great

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4