Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I was criticizing the implication of group think in the black community.

What Sharpton/Jackson do is very different. I'll make it easy here:

1. Jackson/Sharpton claim to speak for the black community
    2. Many people [[especially around here) assume the black community all think/vote the same.

There's no help if you can't see the massive differences in those two statements. One is claiming to speak on behalf of a group [[which is the claim of one) the other is assuming that a group of people think the same [[which is making an assumption about millions)

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

2. Many people [[especially around here) assume the black community all think/vote the same.

There's no help if you can't see the massive differences in those two statements. One is claiming to speak on behalf of a group [[which is the claim of one) the other is assuming that a group of people think the same [[which is making an assumption about millions)
    Ah, I get your point ... and you are right.

I quite agree -- and in fact I suspect that Sharpton/Jackson's support is much smaller than the media attention. But you know the media. Go for the easy story and easy answer -- bleeding if possible -- strife if not -- divisive a must.

The tide, in my lily-white opinion is changing, however. Can't happen soon enough. Urban American needs a lot of rethinking -- and less imposed support on the terms of the wealthy, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

I didn't intend to suggest everyone in the black community thinks alike. That's why I asked what "most" black Detroiters think. Obviously, there is not going to be any sort of uniform opinion, but that doesn't mean there won't be a majority opinion. Still, I understand your concern in making your point.