Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

^^
    Which display area? I'll come say hi.

Stromberg2

Hard to believe that guy could travel all the way from Japan to Detroit and the first rude person he ran into was a parking attendant at the auto show.

Default Detroit is no longer the Motor City

I haven't been to the auto show in five years and I don't think I've missed anything. It's time to look past the hoopla and realize that Detroit's dependency on the auto industry is the single biggest reason for the city's current condition. I'm old enough to remember the old days when anyone with a high school diploma could get a job working in the auto industry and end up making more money than a college professor. Those were the days when new cars were within the reach of most working folks and a trip to the auto show gave you a glimpse of what you or your dad would be driving next year. But those days are gone and while the taxpayers bail out the auto industry most Detroiters are forced to rely on a lousy bus service to get to work. Let's put the past behind us and find a new purpose for the city.

A snap judgment of the entire city based off of a single parking attendant? You two deserve each other.

Regardless of this guy's ethnicity, a conscientious employee would have a list of parking lots to try if his Cobo Roof is full. But it is hard to find good help these days.

A person going to the show should have a plan B, C and D for parking, given the huge crowds that attend every year.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    Regardless of this guy's ethnicity, a conscientious employee would have a list of parking lots to try if his Cobo Roof is full. But it is hard to find good help these days.
    And a conscientious employer would have provided it to him.

Just went to the Detroit autoshow visiting from Chicago. The staff were friendly helpfull. Parking staff were very friendly. We encountered nothing but the nicest people at all other establishments

Cobo center building is absolutely terrible. The exhibition space is fine because all its gotta do is fit the event. But the concourses, food courts, restrooms, and circulation are beyond awful. I'm very happy this will hopefully resolved with a new renovation but the city and regional leaders should be embarrassed this facility was allowed to sit this long without some sort of modernization.

But once you entered those doors, the NAIAS event is superb. Detroit should be extremely proud of this

We went this morning...and it was a total blast. The whole time, I was remembering the last time I paid attention to an Auto Show...it cost me thirty grand! [[I couldn't get that Audi A4 Avant out of my mind until I bought it, too)

So I was particularly aware of the things that tickled my consumer fancy, even though I have no plans of buying a new gasoline-burning vehicle again. Ever.

The Fiat booth had the best overall feel...obvious passion. The Abarth 500 appears to be one really fun and capable car, but I won't test drive one. I know it is too attractive for me to resist. The Ford Fusion reminds me of an improved Contour SVT, which I enjoyed for a few years in the late 90s. That in a station wagon would be quite nice, but I'm certain Ford will not offer a manual transmission. I'd still lean towards the German Station Wagons, like the VW Jetta TDI or another Audi, although that A3 is 'just' enough smaller than the A4 that it might not make the cut. The Volvo C30 is quite amazing...the cockpit is really quite well designed...and its hatchback seems useful...if tiny. But the price of the one I sat in, while chatting up the friendly and knowledgeable host, seemed a bit high. I cannot remember if that is because of a trim package, or AWD...because I'm nearly sure it wasn't a Hybrid.

I came to the conclusion that the EPA mileage estimates are worthless...for cars, they should merely say it is Shitty if under 30city/35highway, Average near that, then Responsible for anything OVER that. Highlight those in the top 10%, and then again those in the top 30%. Trucks would be similar...but with towing needs and such expectations would be lowered accordingly.

I'm struggling to think up any other vehicles that caught my eye...but overall the show was stellar. There were no losers in any of the major offerings, but I'm really amazed at how Honda and Toyota have lost their halos.

One disturbing puzzle was an all-electric car company called Coda. Musically, I always thought the coda was the last stanza at the end of a song. Seems this California company only sells their cars in that state for now, but they are obviously aiming to broaden their market...or why would they spend money coming to Detroit, when the great LA auto show would be so much more effective for them.

Still not understanding how anyone could spend $30k on something with a range of 170 miles before having to park it plugged in for over 8 hours [[if you use the faster 240V charging option, which most people may never investigate, let alone invest in). I don't want to know how much it will cost to replace that entire floor of batteries, either, when they finally quit. You think your iPad or iPhone is an expensive brick when the battery craps...LOL...these cars may indeed be the first thing future anthropologists find at the top of our landfills.

Not just the Codas...any electric-only car with expensive, toxic batteries. There will never be any classic collector conventions of these...or any of the other planned-obsolescent 120k-expiration sleds the industry has put out in the past decade or so, come to think of it.

<sigh>

But the show was fun, and EVERY employee we encountered was stellar...especially the fun lady at the entrance who dutifully searched the purses of the two women in our group, but didn't notice we ALL had coffee cups until she noticed me worshipping mine. She was such a good sport...we chided her as we finished our caffeine, and she took our teasing in stride.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I live in Chicago and this is customer Service City #1. Because we are a tourist city and people are especially trained to bend over backwards for the public. Detroiters don't know that yet because it hasn't had to deal with tourism. I'm with you. If you want to be a world class city -- like Chicago you gotta act like a world class city. However, I betcha the guy was Black [[just a guess) and I'm sorry but whenever you have South Americans/Mexicans doing that type of work, they are kinder, and more helpful than Americans.
    Well you are joking or you're just an idiot. Either way, your comment really doesn't below on this thread, it only spins to conversation in a negative fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It is not a matter of race, it is a matter of occupation. Attendants at parking for pay lots are all arrogant and uncaring assholes regardless of their ethnicity.

I'm glad we aren't allowed to generalize based on race but we are allowed to generalize based on occupation. That's just as bad. People are people, and stating these "absolutes" about race, culture, occupation, what have you, is no way to get through life and only perpetuates division.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coloroflaw View Post
    I'm glad we aren't allowed to generalize based on race but we are allowed to generalize based on occupation. That's just as bad. People are people, and stating these "absolutes" about race, culture, occupation, what have you, is no way to get through life and only perpetuates division.
    Hear here!!

I'm going to return to this thread, later, to see if anyone was damn fool enough to argue with that assertion.

Glad you had a good time G!

Nice show with more emphasis on lighting it seemed to me. The cars really gleamed. Ford and Fiat were pretty exciting and of course Ford being the largest exhibit again. And yes, incredible that Toyota has finally fallen off a bit, though their standard along the back wall of the exhibit area was still pretty impressive but aside of the decked out 'pace-car' style police cruiser Camry it was a bit unremarkable, though the Prius display wagon was fun and full of sound function if that is your thing.

I was once again disappointed with Chrysler sedan offerings, still flimsy plastic and cheapy fabric and leather feel even in the luxury class. Terrible viability and tons of blind spots in every one I got into especially the 200. The thick back window pillars and slightly concave rear view mirror give it an unnecessarily narrow and 'stretched' tunnel rear view. Even with the side mirrors this car has many blind spots, but many car lines do these days. And apparently some people don't mind. I do.

The Ford Fusion is outstanding, smart, refined fit and finish, nice set up with great visibility, practical with a some luxury and the Focus has really evolved to an impressive compact offering. The new Cadillac offering were impressive as ever and it nice to see new one gleaming on it's own revolving platform in the center of the exhibition as it was. Good placement.

I didn't get a chance to explore the whole show but will be back. Everyone I had contact with involved with the show was courteous. The police hauled off one guy for stealing gear shift knobs of cars. But that was done orderly and he complied without fan fare once he was busted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The Fiat booth had the best overall feel...obvious passion. The Abarth 500 appears to be one really fun and capable car, but I won't test drive one. I know it is too attractive for me to resist. The Ford Fusion reminds me of an improved Contour SVT, which I enjoyed for a few years in the late 90s. That in a station wagon would be quite nice, but I'm certain Ford will not offer a manual transmission. I'd still lean towards the German Station Wagons, like the VW Jetta TDI or another Audi, although that A3 is 'just' enough smaller than the A4 that it might not make the cut. The Volvo C30 is quite amazing...the cockpit is really quite well designed...and its hatchback seems useful...if tiny. But the price of the one I sat in, while chatting up the friendly and knowledgeable host, seemed a bit high. I cannot remember if that is because of a trim package, or AWD...because I'm nearly sure it wasn't a Hybrid....

<sigh>

But the show was fun, and EVERY employee we encountered was stellar...especially the fun lady at the entrance who dutifully searched the purses of the two women in our group, but didn't notice we ALL had coffee cups until she noticed me worshipping mine. She was such a good sport...we chided her as we finished our caffeine, and she took our teasing in stride.

Cheers
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-12 at 06:33 AM.

I paid particular attention to the paints...from the perfect electric faux-Hot Wheels green on that one Camaro to the DULL gray of that new Porsche gonzo machine [[and the ancient Mercedes Gullwing).

I was enthused to see every manufacturer showcasing that dark metallic brown, if only because our group kept reacting SO poorly to it. I like it on every car...but it may have been my joy at prodding agony in those who didn't!

That might have been the thing that made that one Fiat 500 Abarth. Darned if it doesn't burn gas...I'm trying to get away from that.

Cheers!
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2