Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A quick googling of 450 keelson, reveals its past use as a place used for BSDM parties. Reports claim the place is haunted, is connected to Tamara Green's death, and used the Hare Kishna Temple as a parking lot.

wtf is this all about?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A quick googling of 450 keelson, reveals its past use as a place used for BSDM parties. Reports claim the place is haunted, is connected to Tamara Green's death, and used the Hare Kishna Temple as a parking lot.

wtf is this all about?
    Yeah I got a weird vibe from the madame that ran the party when we were there. She never referred to herself as the home-owner. Maybe p69rrh51 can shed some light on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Yeah I got a weird vibe from the madame that ran the party when we were there. She never referred to herself as the home-owner. Maybe p69rrh51 can shed some light on the subject.
    Most of that is not true although the couple that owned the place then helped me out when I had some financial difficulties. They were also running the swinger/bdsm parties but that was after I moved out and they were having their own financial problems. Its a very long story with them, but the current owner is very cool and very low key. It took him over a year to evict the couple in question out of the house.

I just googled 450 and always thought that it was on the other side of the road. I don't even remember that house when I lived on the island, although things were a bit foggy back then. I thought the house in question was across the road. I remember a guy named Ralph [[can't remember his last name lived there.) Regular family, nice guy.

I do remember one night we were having a party at our house and the Rolling Stones were playing in town [[cobo I believe) and at the end of their concert they said they were going to our house to jam. Thousands? of people headed over there and the area was gridlocked, the cops shut the whole area down and Ralph and his family couldn't even get across the bridge to their house. They had to rent a hotel room for the night and sued us for their costs and other expenses.

There was a mansion right on the riverfront where the park is across the channel now that was owned by a brewery family though. I thought someone mentioned in another thread here that there was booze running from that place.

The bridge to Greyhaven Island, Date unknown.

Attachment 17596

Quote "There was a mansion right on the riverfront where the park is across the channel now that was owned by a brewery family though. I thought someone mentioned in another thread here that there was booze running from that place."

My great grandfather lived in the Mansion fronting the river across from Garwoods and yes he brewed his own Beer and made wine in the basement still [[no brainer there he was a master brewer, Koerber Beer fame) but the alcohol made in the home was for personal consumption - no huge rum running operation there.

What a cool photo Old Guy... where'd you get it?

Vintage photo is from 1929.....

Attachment 17601

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What a cool photo Old Guy... where'd you get it?
    Wish I could remember.

Here's the bridge as I remember it. Tough negotiation some nights.
    Attachment 17603

I guess they're getimages.
    [ATTACH]17604
    [/ATTACH]Attachment 17605

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Wish I could remember.

Here's the bridge as I remember it. Tough negotiation some nights.
    Attachment 17603
    Wow, I'm having a flashback driving my Spitfire over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Wow, I'm having a flashback driving my Spitfire over it.
    Spitfire. You aren't John M. are you?

Slight threadjack here, but didn't Conner St. used to run directly up to E. Jefferson, same grid as Navahoe and Algonquin, rather than curving over to Conner Creek Greenway? I remember [[or think I do) remember a party store at the intersection of E. Jefferson and Conners. Got robbed there a couple of times in a little parking lot behind the store.

Also, looking at the google view of the Maheras-Gentry Park, that must have been one hell of a lot of landfill considering the second picture in post #60

Attachment 17609Another getimage along the river. Not sure of the location though.

Spitfire. You aren't John M. are you?
    No, I did go to a few parties, though.

Attachment 17609Another getimage along the river. Not sure of the location though.
    The street at the bottom of the image is Parkview. The Louis Kamper designed "castle" at 530 Parkview is 4th building from the left.

Default Grayhaven days

Name:  Phil Wood.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  26.6 KB My mom at Grayhaven, c. 1943. My grandfather worked for both Gar Wood and Edward Gray. He worked for Edward Gray in Oil City, PA at Riverside Engine Company, were Gray sold the first three power plants for Highland Park from. Ford later hired Gray to become his chief engineer on the project and grandpa followed him in 1910 and lived at his home until he found his own place and then grandma joined him. He left Ford around the same time Gray did, c. 1914 and they both went to work on projects at the Detroit Edison Conner's Creek plant. Grandpa returned to PA in 1919 but then returned and interviewed with Gray and Gar Wood for a job in 1937. I don't know what the first job was but later Wood had contracts with the military for landing craft for the invasion of Japan [[which, of course, were never needed after the A-bomb) and then grandpa died in 1945, too much stress.
    PS: That's Gar's brother's boat, Phil Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by xdet View Post
    Name:  Phil Wood.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  26.6 KB My mom at Grayhaven, c. 1943. My grandfather worked for both Gar Wood and Edward Gray. He worked for Edward Gray in Oil City, PA at Riverside Engine Company, were Gray sold the first three power plants for Highland Park from. Ford later hired Gray to become his chief engineer on the project and grandpa followed him in 1910 and lived at his home until he found his own place and then grandma joined him. He left Ford around the same time Gray did, c. 1914 and they both went to work on projects at the Detroit Edison Conner's Creek plant. Grandpa returned to PA in 1919 but then returned and interviewed with Gray and Gar Wood for a job in 1937. I don't know what the first job was but later Wood had contracts with the military for landing craft for the invasion of Japan [[which, of course, were never needed after the A-bomb) and then grandpa died in 1945, too much stress.
    PS: That's Gar's brother's boat, Phil Wood.
    Very interesting post, thanks for sharing it.

Exactly- Edward Gray, former chief engineer at Highland Park [[and my grandfather's employer during those days) had a dredging business and land sales, at least as early as 1916-Name:  1915 dredging.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  28.9 KB

And his land business, 1916 ad- Name:  1916-ad.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  41.0 KB

His 'office' and home during that time, the Mildred G. III- I think this may be the only photo available of it- 'parked' at the foot of Continental. Grandpa took it. Grandma couldn't remember but I enlarged and checked it [[her notes) Name:  Edward Gray boat display.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  47.7 KB

Edward Gray was also up to something at the Conners Creek power plant and grandpa worked for him on projects there as well-Name:  Elmer WWI Draft Card-left.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  75.9 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3