Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Agreed Kevgoblue.... also... using a lump tax figure doesn't take into account that most of those taxes are Federal and NOT State taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    The other problem is that we keep laying off public-sector employees, who generally are creating broader social benefits by doing the work they do, in order to pay for more tax breaks to create private-sector jobs to help Hyundai make a bigger profit.
    It took me a few moment here to realize that you were being sarcastic [[I hope).

I know it won't happen, but let us say Hyundai wanted to open a plant in Detroit and hire a few thousand....would anyone bitch about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I know it won't happen, but let us say Hyundai wanted to open a plant in Detroit and hire a few thousand....would anyone bitch about it?
    Of course it'd be a firestorm of complaints -- especially about the congestion on the roads that will be caused -- the greater delays on Amtrak due to increased freight traffic -- not enough Detroit resident workers -- not paying enough taxes -- taking money to Korea -- giving the Koreans disproportionate vote on city council -- polluting the environment with smoke -- tearing down 'ethnicity'-town to build the plant -- not building energy efficient cars -- subsidized by US military defending their homeland at no cost to Korea -- and just plain not being America -- and for now being a UAW plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    It took me a few moment here to realize that you were being sarcastic [[I hope).
    Oh, fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Guess that depends on what types of jobs they're going to be. Some techs to run a lab or some senior engineers working on high level thermodynamic issues. I believe the difference in pay scale is considerable. Your numbers assume a salary of $100,000 per job created.
    The math works out to the employee needing to earn $1,162,790 to recoup the $50K. [[not counting the reduction in taxes due to applicable deductions)

Also, the Nerd was only twice as efficient. 50k vs 100k.
    Sorry 'bout the math. I did use $100,000 as the cost per job. When I was doing corporate budgeting, we used that as our 'round-number' figure for the impact of an employee -- not just salary and benefits and pension funding [[$55-70k for auto workers I hear) with the rest being training, HR overhead, travel, parking lot space, toilet paper, bottled water, and so on.

I'll take twice as efficient -- while maintaining that tax breaks are bad policy in 100% of the cases, as this does shift the burden from industry to individual and small businesses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2