Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default [[another) European in town

Hello everyone, and happy new year.

I'm a longtime fan of Detroitblog and a lurker here, finally thought I'd register and say hello.

I'm a British journalist and photographer, and I'm coming to Detroit in a few weeks to have a look around and write some stories about what I find. It's a bit of a musical pilgrimage for me [[Motown, Iggy, Detroit techno) and I can't wait to see some of the landmarks, even if the Underground Resistance building got pulled down a long time ago.

What I'd like most of all is to meet some of you and hear your stories of the Detroit of now, then and of the future. I'm really interested in how the city has been so important culturally and economically in the past, and how it is or may transform itself into something important again in the future.

Such things are made of human stories, stories from people like you. So if anyone would like to meet me for a drink and a chat, or take me on a tour of sites that are important to you, or give me suggestions for things I should see or people I should talk to, I'd appreciate it.

It's great you gave a big welcome for another Brit, Barbara, when she came to visit - I can't promise to turn your stories into characters in a ripping crime novel, I'm afraid, but I'd love to hear them anyway

all the best

michael

Welcome, Michael!!

When you've got your travel dates nailed down, please let us know. Hopefully we can pull together a DYes meetup while you are in town!!

Kathleen

http://metrotimes.com/news/detroit-m...uide-1.1244426

Here's a map for a self guided tour. Depending on your dates there may be some decent techno events going. I can tell you where Derrick May lives if you want to creep his place!

Welcome and enjoy!

Hello Michael, you're in for a treat with the DetroitYes folk. Really friendly and very welcoming and extremely passionate and knowledgeable too. Detroit is a fascinating place on all sorts of levels and, for all its problems, I fell in love with it. I hope you do too.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm in Chicago now, and will probably be in Detroit within a fortnight - I'll be sure to let you all know. And I shall definitely pay Mr Mayday a visit if possible, it will make a nice change to doorstep a techno legend instead of petty criminals or bereaved parents as is usual for local reporters...

In the meantime I've been chuckling at this, and shall be doing my best to avoid all of these pitfalls.. http://topics.mlive.com/tag/Cliche%2...dog/index.html

michael

Let's have a drink, Michael. Welcome to Detroit!

I'm game for an impromptu Forum Social Club gathering...it has been a long while since our last one.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by michael Parker View Post
    ...will probably be in Detroit within a fortnight
    Any advance warning of your visit, once you've got your dates and availability determined, would be much appreciated so that we can get a meetup scheduled asap!

Looking forward to it!!

Well, at the moment I think I'm aiming for Saturday 28th January, but that depends on how useless Greyhound are being. If not that weekend then in the days immediately after.

Thanks for your messages!

Quote Originally Posted by michael Parker View Post
    It's a bit of a musical pilgrimage for me [[Motown, Iggy, Detroit techno) and I can't wait to see some of the landmarks, even if the Underground Resistance building got pulled down a long time ago.
    I'm sure you've visited the sister site to DetroitYes? http://www.soulfuldetroit.com/index.html

Hello again folks.

I'm going to be in Detroit from Saturday afternoon this week [[28th) for about five or six days, so if any of you are around for a drink and a chat then I'd love to meet you all.

michael

Sumas and I would be happy to invite you over to our home for dinner, a luncheon or a brunch. Whatever might fit your schedule. Kathleen and her husband are tremendous hosts and know the city well. No doubt you will meet many others on this forum too.

To give you a fix on our location, we live in Islandview Village, near Belle Isle and very close to Downtown. Our house is a 107 yr old Arts and crafts style home.

We hope you come with an open mind. Detroit is really a special place with wonderful people.

Should you wish to tour the seamier side of the city, definitely hire Django, as driver, body guard/ tour guide.

Home # 313 922-7306. Ron

Underground Resistance I believe is still in their "new" building which is the old Laundry Workers Union building on Grand Blvd a couple blocks east of Woodward, which Mike Banks renovated about 10 years ago.

Not sure if that was you calling. We have a bundled internet/cable/phone service and every thing crashed last night. Did not realize our phone service was still down but cable shows us attempted incoming calls.They promised to fix in 24 hrs. An alternate # is 313 757-2054. Just a local grippe but we have had repairs on this service 5 times in the past 30 days. We have home based businesses and it is on beyond annoying to have to deal with.

Ron

Anybody up for a Forum Meet-Up? Late Saturday afternoon? Early Saturday evening? Late Sunday morning? Sunday afternoon?

Any suggestions on where to meet? Detroit Beer Company? Honest John's? Cass Cafe?

Michael: What time works for you on Saturday or Sunday? Are you staying downtown? And are you able to get around the city? Let us know your preferences.
    Last edited by Kathleen; January-26-12 at 07:05 PM.

Kathleen,

The memorial for Michael Walsh, a dynamic and wonderful fellow who was another amazing Detroit lover [[and volunteer down at the Welcome Center, I know you've met him in your travels) who died too young, is Saturday afternoon at the old Balle Corcaigh, now St. Ce-Ce's. That will be from one to five, I believe.

I think we'd be in for breakfast at HJ's and/or dinner and drinks at Sue & Ron's. It'll get me to finish their hifi system upgrade...which has been lingering while I meet a deadline on February 1st.

Sunday, I'm busy all day, but might be able to catch up with everyone near dinnertime.

Cheers! John
    Last edited by Gannon; January-27-12 at 05:53 AM.

Looks like mid or late Saturday afternoon or Sunday brunch works best for me.

Let's see what Michael's preferences are....

Hello folks,

I'm in the D now, and although I have some vague notion of going dancing tonight [[somewhere, somehow) because I'd feel a failure if I didn't, I'm absolutely at your convenience. So later this afternoon or evening or lunch, dinner or indeed any time tomorrow is fine with me. I'm on 514 577 1697 if anyone wants to text or call or whatever, but I shall try and check back as I'm walking about.

m

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the D!!!

Tried to call you but got a message that that you have traveled outside the zone and to try again later.

Will send you a private message through the Forum. If you've never used that feature, just click on the Private Messages or Notifications links near the top of the page.

If anyone wants to join us....we're meeting for breakfast at Honest John's. 10am.

So... how was it?

Dave and I met up with Michael at Honest John's for Sunday breakfast, which is always good at there. We had a good chat about the city and its history and its future and the like. Afterwards, over the next 5 hours or so, I showed Michael a few highlights and lowlights of the city. I think he enjoyed it!!

Yes indeed a big thanks to Kathleen and Dave who not only took me for breakfast but Kathleen provided me a pretty darn complete tour of the city, huge place that it is. It is amazing to think of the amount of money that was obviously washing around Detroit back then when you see the interiors of the Fisher and Guardian buildings, and how much the city has changed.

I just spoke to my Man in London and got a soft commission for a future feature on Detroit, so I will be sure to use what I have learned. Kathleen is an excellent guide, and really knows her subject. I look forward to the book

m

Thanks, Michael. So glad that you enjoyed the tour!! And congrats on getting that commission. We look forward to seeing your feature when it is published!!

This is what I get when 1) I'm sick 2) I am busy with school and 3) I never make it over to Detroit Connections! I would have love to have met up with you Mr. Parker and maybe given you a youth POV on being in Detroit. And of course, I would have loved to have seen you again, Kathleen! Arghh!!!!

Hope you enjoyed your time here, Mr. Paker!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast