Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    There is a Taco Bell in the Wayne State student center building.
    For those of us that already graduated [[or dropped out) that isn't too convenient.

Yea, and the WSU Taco Bell never had its shit together when iw as there. I also nominate Hooters for a Detroit lcoation lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    They should all be herded like cattle and fenced in.
    The better to shower them with benefits and keep the population growing. Helps future prison building, too.

LOL! Does Taco Bell ever have anything together. Ick...
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yea, and the WSU Taco Bell never had its shit together when iw as there. I also nominate Hooters for a Detroit lcoation lol.

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Detroit could use state prisoners to dismantle the abandoned buildings instead of inflated Bobby Ferguson contractors....There is no reason why state prisoners could not be used to tear down this cancer.
    I agree w you, also pay them a few bucks a hour so when or if they. Get out they have some kind of money/savings so they don't go back to doing criminal things. Put it in a account for the inmates, people need to eat when they get out.

GUSHI Guest

Also do one area at a time, and use the things that can be reused/resold to go towards there wages ex reclaimed bricks,bath tubs,2x4's toilets,counters, sinks, any type of wiring for scrap purposes and copper plumbing for scraps/reuse. And it keeps them out of land fills and helps out the people who don't or can't afford to buy new.

What ever happen to this plan? This can work on Canfield and Cass, across from The Auburn Apartments. That gravel parking lot is useless next to the Wayne State tower. I could see this happening on that corner, right along with other developments happening in the area.

http://www.cooltownstudios.com/site/comments/wayne-state-university-announces-cooltown-plans/

Speaking of Whole Foods in midtown [[Coming Soon)...

"Larry Austin is team leader at the West Bloomfield store. He has seen the excitement surrounding the plans for the new store, “We have a lot of team members who are excited about transferring, including myself, who want to work in Detroit because just being part of the rebuilding of the community just excites a lot of people.” But the number of transfers will be limited to give members of the nearby community a chance at most of the jobs.
    The community will be involved in other ways. The new store will include a mezzanine level with a meeting room open to members of the public. They can hold community meetings, attend a cooking demonstration, or do some healthy living education.
    And Whole Foods will open a small community office in January, near the site of the new store. There will be job training, health education, and tours of the neighborhood. It will also be a place where people interested in becoming suppliers can introduce themselves to Whole Foods. According to Banks, “Whether it’s labels, whether it’s insurance, whether it’s just basic product development, we’re interested in talking to any and all local vendors. So if people see this story today and say, ‘hey, I make a good local product,’ we want to know about it.”

Now why would you hate Whole Foods, sounds like they're supportive of local foods and the local community..?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    What ever happen to this plan? This can work on Canfield and Cass, across from The Auburn Apartments. That gravel parking lot is useless next to the Wayne State tower. I could see this happening on that corner, right along with other developments happening in the area.

http://www.cooltownstudios.com/site/comments/wayne-state-university-announces-cooltown-plans/
    I think it got lost right along with the Shoppes at Gateway plans.

Weren't there plans for a second Studio One Apartments somewhere on Canfield..?
    Last edited by gthomas; January-16-12 at 12:44 PM.

Coaccession Guest

What ever happen to this plan?
    A massive international financial crisis, maybe? It put a lot of plans on hold, gthomas, and putting plans on hold depressed the economy, putting more plans on hold...

To turn that around, we need ways to mobilize the value of existing assets to generate new demand for goods and services... like a Detroit Arts Endowment based on Detroit's currently-financially-idle DIA collection...

Midtown has shown DEMANDS for goods and services, it's well overdue. Now let's make progress..
    Last edited by gthomas; January-16-12 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaccession View Post
    A massive international financial crisis, maybe? It put a lot of plans on hold, gthomas, and putting plans on hold depressed the economy, putting more plans on hold...
    That's one thing that pisses me off the most about the downtown/midtown cheerleaders, they seem to always forget we're in the midst of the worst financial crisis since the great depression [[which may or may not worsen) and they act as if that won't have an impact on downtown/midtown's development.

Not sure about the exact configuration, but I'm confident WSU will build a second "Studio One" type development there. It is only a matter of time, probably sooner than later considering the Auburn [[11 store fronts, 50+ apartments) is going up across the street, and the "Union at Midtown" on Cass between Hancock and Warren rented out almost instantly, including Byblos II and Tim Hortons and Urban Partnership bank of the first floor.

I hope they can get rid of the driveway to the University Towers and build one story retail spaces in front of the tower. Hopefully the university can also sell their lots on the oposite side of Cass for new developments... then we would have a near continuous street-wall from Warren all the way down to Alexandrine.

That's one thing that pisses me off the most about the "NON" downtown/midtown cheerleaders, they seem to always forget that "DISPITE" being in the midst of the worst financial crisis since the great depression, there IS a demand for affordable housing ESPECIALLY in MIDTOWN/DOWNTOWN with 97% or so.. occupied , with more demands coming. Don't compare the rest of the city with this area. No comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That's one thing that pisses me off the most about the downtown/midtown cheerleaders, they seem to always forget we're in the midst of the worst financial crisis since the great depression [[which may or may not worsen) and they act as if that won't have an impact on downtown/midtown's development.

Please don't turn Midtown into the suburbs. Options are good but don't bring in chain restaurants and other businesses to compete with great local businesses that have been investing in the Cass Corridor for in some cases decades. I much rather we attract more mom and pop shops and keep the money in the region. Keep some of the quirkiness of the area. I rather support Fred's Key Shop, 3rd Street Hardware, and Avalon than Target or Cheesecake Factory. I love seeing all the new small businesses opening up.

Also, please remember there are a lot of good people living down at Peterboro and Seldon. I have a lot of friends down that way who are just trying to make ends meet. I rather they not be replaced by obnoxious WSU kids. I love seeing the improvements but I hope the area doesn't lose its charm.

Coaccession Guest

That's one thing that pisses me off the most about the "NON" downtown/midtown cheerleaders, they seem to always forget that "DESPITE" being in the midst of the worst financial crisis since the great depression, there IS a demand for affordable housing ESPECIALLY in MIDTOWN/DOWNTOWN with 97% or so occupied, with more demands coming. Don't compare the rest of the city with this area. No comparison...
    There is indeed current demand, gthomas, but the Euro crisis, the Chinese bubble and the higher education bubble all introduce major uncertainties into the global and local economies. If current demand continues or improves, investments can turn out fine. If demand turns down, new investors could join the many others who bet on Detroit and lost money. By showing a willingness to use its assets to stimulate demand, the city can improve investors' odds. Right now the DIA collection provides limited benefits to Detroit's public -- the city's only mobilizing its cultural value. It could mobilize the DIA collection's many, many billions in financial value too, creating a Detroit Arts Endowment that supports the arts, sciences and humanities communities as well as essential services.

Those few hundred million in extra annual revenues going into the local economy could make an enormous difference to investor confidence, as would the endowment with billions in stocks and bonds. Yeah, stocks and bonds shouldn't make investors feels any more secure in Detroit's future than the artworks the city already owns -- after all, the DIA's collection gained billions of dollars in capital appreciation last year alone! -- but investors are funny that way, and would generally like to see Detroit more liquid than it already is.

This can work somewhere in the lower cass district.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6713789039_5e69b784d9.jpg

This can work somewhere in the lower cass district.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6713789039_5e69b784d9.jpg
    That'll give TomBoy Mkts. some competition all right.

With out a doubt!! I can see this on Second Av. or Cass.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    That'll give TomBoy Mkts. some competition all right.

Don't yell at me, but I gay bar would be nice?

http://www.motorgay.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    Don't yell at me, but I gay bar would be nice?

http://www.motorgay.net/
    I think the Temple Bar might fit that bill, but if you mean a more discerning establishment, you are correct. I believe someplace near the Willy's Lofts would provide one with a steady customer base.

Oh, could you please not post the link to your blog with each and every one of your posts? Especially if the link has nothing to do with the topic discussed. It is considered poor taste to direct people to one's site just to increase page clicks.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lukabottle View Post
    Keep some of the quirkiness of the area. I rather support Fred's Key Shop, 3rd Street Hardware, and Avalon than Target or Cheesecake Factory. I love seeing all the new small businesses opening up.
    The problem is that I can go a couple of years without visiting a key shop and a month without visiting a hardware store. I need a supermarket and a drug store a couple of times a week. I would rather live close to a supermarket and a drug store and drive an hour ot get to Fred.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5