Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ah yes, I recall SD - it was a treat from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sigh... I remember I used to go to the Schnelli Deli [[sp?)... not as good as Oak Park/Southfield deli's... but as a student... it was good in a pinch....

Yeah, some confusion abounds... all I know is that they are located on the NW corner of the Ford Road and the Southfield Freeway which borders to Dearborn if nothing else... and its affordable... for now.

Kaplan [[University or whatever they are or claim) is next door and tout themselves as in Dearborn too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Not to dwell on it-- or in it-- but that Planet Fitness [[mentioned earlier) is in 48228, which is a Detroit zip code....
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-12 at 05:31 AM.

Midtown can use a miracle.... i need one every day.

Are they rebuilding jefferies east? I try to stay out of that 3rd MLK Peterboro
    area. I have no business down there and as such. Doesn't seem like quite
    the place for an un-necessary visit.
    I looked at google maps and there looked to be a huge building effort down
    there. If thats govt subsidized they need to figure out a way to keep out the
    riff raff and then condemn some of the problem spots in the surrounding blocks

Final destination. A solidly up and coming expanse encompassed from Jefferson
    to Grand Boulevard and at least between 10 and 75

I also went to the Jazzy Convenience Store. I know it's a free country , but I really don't like the idea of a glorified liquor store on Woodward . The set up is typical of the thousands of other liquor stores we have in the city ,without the bullet proof glass. To have this to be one of the first "stores" to reopen on lower Woodward "Americas / Detroit's Main street , sends a negative message.When I "visited " one of the 1st things that caught my eye is a huge refrigerator of "40's".
    What type of "customers" do you expect will frequent this place ? right on Woodward where you are trying to send a positive message and best image ?
    Don't get me wrong, I partake in spirits also, but if you are going to have an store like this on lower Woodward , do it with a little more class .
    Do you really want tourist / visitors , we are trying to impress, to have this be their first impression ?
    We all have a choice where we shop and I chose not to give my money to the "current" Jazzy Convenience Store, but that's just me , I don't speak for anyone else .
    If they could present the store with out the cheesy stand ups in the front window , a refrigerator full of 40's , I might give it a second look. I've seen plenty of "Convenience" stores in NYC and Chicago's main drags that are at a level that works well with the local area .
    This city is FULL of liquor stores , I feel we just don't need another "typical" one on lower Woodward .
    BTW I how many more Liquor stores does/can the city of Detroit take ? ENOUGH !
    I don't care how much "money" they bring into the city it's not worth it !
    Driving around the city I get sick of all the liquor stores ,sometimes right across the street from each other with HUGE Liquor signs ?it speaks volumes about the health/midset of the city .
    I'm sure some will say well if there is a market for it , and people have free will ,but do we really need a liquor store in every other block ? once a Liquor store opens not too many other stores want to open near it .

~Detroitdave
    "What type of "customers" do you expect will frequent this place ?"

I was there, I bought a Red Bull... You got a problem with Italians? Hehe, Really though, I just want to warn you, America drinks... The world drinks... They all have a drinking culture and Detroit is no different. If you think that a simple liquor sign speaks volumes about a city's mindset/health then I don't know what to say. I liked the place.
    Last edited by BEEAH; January-11-12 at 06:15 PM.

Beeah , Italians are some of my favorite folks ! I've been to and lived in Italy several times , love Italy and Italians . Americans do drink and so does most of the world , I do also, and the drinking culture of the states is high , but not as high as some countries . I found Italians don't drink the way Americans do, younger Americans are seen mostly known to drink to get drunk , BUT not all !
    Back to the huge amount of liquor stores and signs , I just don't see the amount of Liquor signs in say Grosse Point , or almost any city in Oakland county. I just feel like they dump a liquor just about anywhere in the city .
    Don't get me wrong I'm not against liquor stores but I feel ,and I'm sure I'm not alone , that we have really reach the tipping point with liquor stores .
    If they never build another liquor store in the City limits for the next 20 years we are good LOL
    It would be great to see that many schools or gyms in the city !

How about Zoup!, a deli, an Italian restaurant, or an outdoor cafe` with shade...

^^^...how difficult is it to get a liquor selling permit in the city?

I would add that either downtown or midtown either or needs a Target, Kroger, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Best Buy, Marshall's and T.J. Maxx as well as other stores but this would be a start.

Retail
    - Target type store that sells basically everything
    - Clothing stores catering to youth and college students [[Old Navy, American Apparel, Forever 21)
    - Clothing stores catering more to professionals [[J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic)
    - Vintage clothing stores
    - Music equipment store [[local such as Marshall music or big-box such as Guitar Center)
    - Craft store [[Michael's or Jo Ann's)
    - Office supplies store [[Staples, Office Max, Office Depot)
    - Full-line book store such as Barnes & Nobles
    - Furniture stores
    - Sports supplies store such as Play-It-Again
    - Large thrift store [[Value World, Goodwill, Salvation Army)
    - Another bike shop, with more retail inventory [[still love the hub)

Dining/Entertainment/Culture
    - Major movie theater [[Imagine or AMC)
    - Bunch more art galleries
    - A few more small-medium sized music venues
    - More coffee shops [[at least one 24hr!)
    - More bars!! There really aren't that many!
    - Mexican restaurant
    - Indian restaurant
    - Italian restaurant
    - Pizza places [[by the slice!), ny and Detroit styles
    - Japanese restaurant/noodle house
    - Ethiopian restaurant
    - Falafel-bar style [[make-your-own) restaurant
    - More vegan/vegetarian options
    - Delis [[maybe another Mudgies or Russell Street)
    - Hamburger shop w/ beers [[like Mercury Bar) + Milkshakes/ice cream
    - Creamery

Public/Civic:
    - More nice/maintained parks/plazas
    - Enhanced street lights
    - More trash cans
    - Better signage system [[add street #s to street signs, for example)
    - Wider sidewalks
    - Easier public parking
    - Better Transit -- Woodward Light-Rail [[duh!!!) and improved bus service

Your my second favorite poster! I couldnt agree more with your list. I'm going to talk with some close friends of mines who are invester's and get some of this to happen. I'll put my money where my mouth is...unlike most of these Detroityes'r. There's plenty of space and buildings to accomodate EVERYTHING I have mention, including your list.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Retail
    - Target type store that sells basically everything
    - Clothing stores catering to youth and college students [[Old Navy, American Apparel, Forever 21)
    - Clothing stores catering more to professionals [[J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic)
    - Vintage clothing stores
    - Music equipment store [[local such as Marshall music or big-box such as Guitar Center)
    - Craft store [[Michael's or Jo Ann's)
    - Office supplies store [[Staples, Office Max, Office Depot)
    - Full-line book store such as Barnes & Nobles
    - Furniture stores
    - Sports supplies store such as Play-It-Again
    - Large thrift store [[Value World, Goodwill, Salvation Army)
    - Another bike shop, with more retail inventory [[still love the hub)

Dining/Entertainment/Culture
    - Major movie theater [[Imagine or AMC)
    - Bunch more art galleries
    - A few more small-medium sized music venues
    - More coffee shops [[at least one 24hr!)
    - More bars!! There really aren't that many!
    - Mexican restaurant
    - Indian restaurant
    - Italian restaurant
    - Pizza places [[by the slice!), ny and Detroit styles
    - Japanese restaurant/noodle house
    - Ethiopian restaurant
    - Falafel-bar style [[make-your-own) restaurant
    - More vegan/vegetarian options
    - Delis [[maybe another Mudgies or Russell Street)
    - Hamburger shop w/ beers [[like Mercury Bar) + Milkshakes/ice cream
    - Creamery

Public/Civic:
    - More nice/maintained parks/plazas
    - Enhanced street lights
    - More trash cans
    - Better signage system [[add street #s to street signs, for example)
    - Wider sidewalks
    - Easier public parking
    - Better Transit -- Woodward Light-Rail [[duh!!!) and improved bus service

It's about having option[[s)...some will never get it! It's not that hard..some of you need to travel and visit other cities whom which is much smaller than us, but is very functional and has more retail, light-rail, and other businesses.

The laundromat is now re-opening SOON on Second av. YAYYY! It's about having options..I have a washer and dryer in my unit. Somedays I might want to use the laundromat..[[ Some folks on here is going to ask me why should we cry over a laundromat, why it's so important? ) That's my reason..having OPTIONS! Thats how a real city function...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..I remember the laundromat that was on 2nd leading up to the boulevard, closed down some years back.. hopefully someone will open a new place, or reopen that one..

In other cities you can choose to go to the suburbs for things, but you probably don't have to. In Detroit, we have to go to the suburbs for many things. See the difference? In other metro regions, the majority of people live in suburbs, but still have a vibrant city center with all the amenities one needs, and efficient public transit systems. Detroit needs to have all its bases covered, as far as amenities, for people to move here [[assuming this is the goal, to at least retaining the residents we have, if not growing in population). It is not a matter of city vs. suburbs. Having a vibrant city center adds to the vibrancy whole region. Detroit's suburbs, although many of them are very nice, are a dime-a-dozen, they typical American suburbs. In most metro regions, typical suburbs surround an original city, and that original city is what the whole region is identified as. Detroit has a unique identity, but the city itself is being choked by a perfect storm of social and economic factors.

Do note however, if the measely Dollar General store is being robbed blind in the CBD, there's no possible way a Target or Kroger is going to locate down there...

We have to fix the shrinkage problem in the city first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Your my second favorite poster! I couldnt agree more with your list. I'm going to talk with some close friends of mines who are invester's and get some of this to happen. I'll put my money where my mouth is...unlike most of these Detroityes'r. There's plenty of space and buildings to accomodate EVERYTHING I have mention, including your list.
    DYes'rs are noted for their ability to spend extravagant amounts of "Other People's Money" to satisfy their whims.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Do note however, if the measely Dollar General store is being robbed blind in the CBD, there's no possible way a Target or Kroger is going to locate down there...

We have to fix the shrinkage problem in the city first and foremost.
    LaFayette Park is not the CBD!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    LaFayette Park is not the CBD!
    Oh god...

One second people are claiming Lafayette Park is an essential part of the CBD that will continue to grow and become more vital [[and by CBD, I mean the downtown/midtown area) and it's a supposedly "nice" area in the city, now that something negative has happened in Lafayette Park, it's not the CBD.

It's the same crap suburbanites pull with their relationship to Detroit.

Look, the point is if stores in the vicinity of downtown can't keep their inventory from growing legs and walking out the door, then they're not going to waste their time investing in a store down there [[which is why Dollar General is already considering closing that location after only a few months).

Coaccession Guest

How will we bring people?
    Vibrant people build vibrant cities. If you attract the creative class to Detroit and make it easy for them to innovate it will stimulate entrepreneurship and boost the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    DYes'rs are noted for their ability to spend extravagant amounts of "Other People's Money" to satisfy their whims.
    Midtown can use a... multi-billion dollar arts endowment generating hundreds of millions of dollars a year in revenues for the Detroit Arts Commission, gthomas. That would let the Arts Commission fund arts projects in Midtown [[and all around town) creating new value for creatives, residents and visitors, attracting more of all three in a virtuous circle. And Hermod, that's already Detroit's money, given to it by generations of philanthropists and collectors, invested and preserved for it by generations of curators and conservators. The City owns the DIA's permanent collection -- worth tens of billions of dollars -- so it can certainly fund the endowment if it mobilizes that value rather than leaving it idle. And no, mobilizing that value doesn't mean selling the Monet. Tools exist that will let Detroit have its Monet and money too, letting Detroit leverage its existing collection to support many new arts investments -- artworks, arts projects, museum branches [[with libraries), performances with permanent recordings, etc., etc. Let the Detroit Arts Commission commission arts in Detroit... including Midtown. Detroit will do what DYessers advise, right? That innovation, gthomas, should spark some vibrancy! And that vibrancy in turn, Hermod, should spark some "Other People" to put their money in Detroit to satisfy their animal spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaccession View Post
    The City owns the DIA's permanent collection -- worth tens of billions of dollars -- so it can certainly fund the endowment if it mobilizes that value rather than leaving it idle. And no, mobilizing that value doesn't mean selling the Monet. Tools exist that will let Detroit have its Monet and money too, letting Detroit leverage its existing collection to support many new arts investments -- artworks, arts projects, museum branches [[with libraries), performances with permanent recordings, etc., etc.
    You really think the CoD would put any revenue gained from the DIA colletion back into the Arts? When cops are being laid off, lights are on a rolling brownout and the city is almost in receivership?

Coaccession Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    You really think the CoD would put any revenue gained from the DIA collection back into the Arts? When cops are being laid off, lights are on a rolling brownout and the city is almost in receivership?
    Just announcing that Detroit's considering plans to mobilize the billions and billions of dollars in its arts collection would take care of the receivership issue -- municipal bond buyers are very willing to finance wealthy cities, Roq, just like bankers trip over themselves to get wealthy clients.

Actually mobilizing Detroit's arts collection would produce enough new revenues -- hundreds of millions annually, likely -- to reverse the layoffs and restore the lights AND fund arts commissions to boot. Would Detroit continue to invest in the arts once it covers essential services? Well, artsworks have already paid off for Detroit over at the DIA -- its collection makes it a wealthy city. It would make sense to keep doing what's working.

Detroit's problem is illiquidity, not insolvency. It's got enough wealth, it just has to put its wealth to work for it.

I'm going to talk with some close friends of mines who are invester's and get some of this to happen. I'll put my money where my mouth is...unlike most of these Detroityes'r.
    That's awesome. Which places do you plan on investing? I'll come patronize your business as soon as you open it.

I will keep you posted.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    That's awesome. Which places do you plan on investing? I'll come patronize your business as soon as you open it.
    Here's hoping that some brand-new kinds of cheeses are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I second Taco Bell
    There is a Taco Bell in the Wayne State student center building.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast