Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Yeah, some confusion abounds... all I know is that they are located on the NW corner of the Ford Road and the Southfield Freeway which borders to Dearborn if nothing else... and its affordable... for now.

Kaplan [[University or whatever they are or claim) is next door and tout themselves as in Dearborn too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Not to dwell on it-- or in it-- but that Planet Fitness [[mentioned earlier) is in 48228, which is a Detroit zip code....
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-12 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    • Dollar Tree
    • Taco bell/Checkers
    • Large 24-hr Laundromat
    • Another gas station south of Selden st. either on Woodward, Cass, and/or Second
    • Dog park/ Large organized playscape/playground.
    • Ice cream shop
    • Few more fun, creative moms-pops shop
    • Better public Lighting, tree-lined streets
    • Bike lanes/ Greenways
    • 24-hr Coffee Shop
    • Hotel
    • More New construction of lofts apartments/brownstones throughout Cass, Second, and Third from Canfield south to I-75,west to Lodge freeway. Connecting Woodbridge and newly constructed Cornerstone Estates off Mack/Mlk blvd.
    I would love to see a Cheesecake Factory in Mid-Town or downtown. I'd go to that for sure.

Sigh... I remember I used to go to the Schnelli Deli [[sp?)... not as good as Oak Park/Southfield deli's... but as a student... it was good in a pinch....

Ah yes, I recall SD - it was a treat from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sigh... I remember I used to go to the Schnelli Deli [[sp?)... not as good as Oak Park/Southfield deli's... but as a student... it was good in a pinch....

Midtown can use a miracle.... i need one every day.

Are they rebuilding jefferies east? I try to stay out of that 3rd MLK Peterboro
    area. I have no business down there and as such. Doesn't seem like quite
    the place for an un-necessary visit.
    I looked at google maps and there looked to be a huge building effort down
    there. If thats govt subsidized they need to figure out a way to keep out the
    riff raff and then condemn some of the problem spots in the surrounding blocks

Final destination. A solidly up and coming expanse encompassed from Jefferson
    to Grand Boulevard and at least between 10 and 75

~Detroitdave
    "What type of "customers" do you expect will frequent this place ?"

I was there, I bought a Red Bull... You got a problem with Italians? Hehe, Really though, I just want to warn you, America drinks... The world drinks... They all have a drinking culture and Detroit is no different. If you think that a simple liquor sign speaks volumes about a city's mindset/health then I don't know what to say. I liked the place.
    Last edited by BEEAH; January-11-12 at 06:15 PM.

Beeah , Italians are some of my favorite folks ! I've been to and lived in Italy several times , love Italy and Italians . Americans do drink and so does most of the world , I do also, and the drinking culture of the states is high , but not as high as some countries . I found Italians don't drink the way Americans do, younger Americans are seen mostly known to drink to get drunk , BUT not all !
    Back to the huge amount of liquor stores and signs , I just don't see the amount of Liquor signs in say Grosse Point , or almost any city in Oakland county. I just feel like they dump a liquor just about anywhere in the city .
    Don't get me wrong I'm not against liquor stores but I feel ,and I'm sure I'm not alone , that we have really reach the tipping point with liquor stores .
    If they never build another liquor store in the City limits for the next 20 years we are good LOL
    It would be great to see that many schools or gyms in the city !

How about Zoup!, a deli, an Italian restaurant, or an outdoor cafe` with shade...

^^^...how difficult is it to get a liquor selling permit in the city?

I would add that either downtown or midtown either or needs a Target, Kroger, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Best Buy, Marshall's and T.J. Maxx as well as other stores but this would be a start.

Retail
    - Target type store that sells basically everything
    - Clothing stores catering to youth and college students [[Old Navy, American Apparel, Forever 21)
    - Clothing stores catering more to professionals [[J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic)
    - Vintage clothing stores
    - Music equipment store [[local such as Marshall music or big-box such as Guitar Center)
    - Craft store [[Michael's or Jo Ann's)
    - Office supplies store [[Staples, Office Max, Office Depot)
    - Full-line book store such as Barnes & Nobles
    - Furniture stores
    - Sports supplies store such as Play-It-Again
    - Large thrift store [[Value World, Goodwill, Salvation Army)
    - Another bike shop, with more retail inventory [[still love the hub)

Dining/Entertainment/Culture
    - Major movie theater [[Imagine or AMC)
    - Bunch more art galleries
    - A few more small-medium sized music venues
    - More coffee shops [[at least one 24hr!)
    - More bars!! There really aren't that many!
    - Mexican restaurant
    - Indian restaurant
    - Italian restaurant
    - Pizza places [[by the slice!), ny and Detroit styles
    - Japanese restaurant/noodle house
    - Ethiopian restaurant
    - Falafel-bar style [[make-your-own) restaurant
    - More vegan/vegetarian options
    - Delis [[maybe another Mudgies or Russell Street)
    - Hamburger shop w/ beers [[like Mercury Bar) + Milkshakes/ice cream
    - Creamery

Public/Civic:
    - More nice/maintained parks/plazas
    - Enhanced street lights
    - More trash cans
    - Better signage system [[add street #s to street signs, for example)
    - Wider sidewalks
    - Easier public parking
    - Better Transit -- Woodward Light-Rail [[duh!!!) and improved bus service

Your my second favorite poster! I couldnt agree more with your list. I'm going to talk with some close friends of mines who are invester's and get some of this to happen. I'll put my money where my mouth is...unlike most of these Detroityes'r. There's plenty of space and buildings to accomodate EVERYTHING I have mention, including your list.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Retail
    - Target type store that sells basically everything
    - Clothing stores catering to youth and college students [[Old Navy, American Apparel, Forever 21)
    - Clothing stores catering more to professionals [[J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic)
    - Vintage clothing stores
    - Music equipment store [[local such as Marshall music or big-box such as Guitar Center)
    - Craft store [[Michael's or Jo Ann's)
    - Office supplies store [[Staples, Office Max, Office Depot)
    - Full-line book store such as Barnes & Nobles
    - Furniture stores
    - Sports supplies store such as Play-It-Again
    - Large thrift store [[Value World, Goodwill, Salvation Army)
    - Another bike shop, with more retail inventory [[still love the hub)

Dining/Entertainment/Culture
    - Major movie theater [[Imagine or AMC)
    - Bunch more art galleries
    - A few more small-medium sized music venues
    - More coffee shops [[at least one 24hr!)
    - More bars!! There really aren't that many!
    - Mexican restaurant
    - Indian restaurant
    - Italian restaurant
    - Pizza places [[by the slice!), ny and Detroit styles
    - Japanese restaurant/noodle house
    - Ethiopian restaurant
    - Falafel-bar style [[make-your-own) restaurant
    - More vegan/vegetarian options
    - Delis [[maybe another Mudgies or Russell Street)
    - Hamburger shop w/ beers [[like Mercury Bar) + Milkshakes/ice cream
    - Creamery

Public/Civic:
    - More nice/maintained parks/plazas
    - Enhanced street lights
    - More trash cans
    - Better signage system [[add street #s to street signs, for example)
    - Wider sidewalks
    - Easier public parking
    - Better Transit -- Woodward Light-Rail [[duh!!!) and improved bus service

Your my second favorite poster! I couldnt agree more with your list. I'm going to talk with some close friends of mines who are invester's and get some of this to happen. I'll put my money where my mouth is...unlike most of these Detroityes'r. There's plenty of space and buildings to accomodate EVERYTHING I have mention, including your list.
    DYes'rs are noted for their ability to spend extravagant amounts of "Other People's Money" to satisfy their whims.

I'm going to talk with some close friends of mines who are invester's and get some of this to happen. I'll put my money where my mouth is...unlike most of these Detroityes'r.
    That's awesome. Which places do you plan on investing? I'll come patronize your business as soon as you open it.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    That's awesome. Which places do you plan on investing? I'll come patronize your business as soon as you open it.
    Here's hoping that some brand-new kinds of cheeses are involved.

It's about having option[[s)...some will never get it! It's not that hard..some of you need to travel and visit other cities whom which is much smaller than us, but is very functional and has more retail, light-rail, and other businesses.

Do note however, if the measely Dollar General store is being robbed blind in the CBD, there's no possible way a Target or Kroger is going to locate down there...

We have to fix the shrinkage problem in the city first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Do note however, if the measely Dollar General store is being robbed blind in the CBD, there's no possible way a Target or Kroger is going to locate down there...

We have to fix the shrinkage problem in the city first and foremost.
    LaFayette Park is not the CBD!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    LaFayette Park is not the CBD!
    Oh god...

One second people are claiming Lafayette Park is an essential part of the CBD that will continue to grow and become more vital [[and by CBD, I mean the downtown/midtown area) and it's a supposedly "nice" area in the city, now that something negative has happened in Lafayette Park, it's not the CBD.

It's the same crap suburbanites pull with their relationship to Detroit.

Look, the point is if stores in the vicinity of downtown can't keep their inventory from growing legs and walking out the door, then they're not going to waste their time investing in a store down there [[which is why Dollar General is already considering closing that location after only a few months).

I will keep you posted.

Yea, and the WSU Taco Bell never had its shit together when iw as there. I also nominate Hooters for a Detroit lcoation lol.

LOL! Does Taco Bell ever have anything together. Ick...
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yea, and the WSU Taco Bell never had its shit together when iw as there. I also nominate Hooters for a Detroit lcoation lol.

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Detroit could use state prisoners to dismantle the abandoned buildings instead of inflated Bobby Ferguson contractors....There is no reason why state prisoners could not be used to tear down this cancer.
    I agree w you, also pay them a few bucks a hour so when or if they. Get out they have some kind of money/savings so they don't go back to doing criminal things. Put it in a account for the inmates, people need to eat when they get out.

GUSHI Guest

Also do one area at a time, and use the things that can be reused/resold to go towards there wages ex reclaimed bricks,bath tubs,2x4's toilets,counters, sinks, any type of wiring for scrap purposes and copper plumbing for scraps/reuse. And it keeps them out of land fills and helps out the people who don't or can't afford to buy new.

What ever happen to this plan? This can work on Canfield and Cass, across from The Auburn Apartments. That gravel parking lot is useless next to the Wayne State tower. I could see this happening on that corner, right along with other developments happening in the area.

http://www.cooltownstudios.com/site/comments/wayne-state-university-announces-cooltown-plans/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast