Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I see nothing but potential in abandoned buildings. The old building stock is one of midtown's biggest assets and the midtown leaders understand that. I have to bet more buildings are being re-developed than there is new construction in the city of Detroit. You need re-wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Detroit could use state prisoners to dismantle the abandoned buildings instead of inflated Bobby Ferguson contractors....There is no reason why state prisoners could not be used to tear down this cancer.

Midtown needs more housing for the increasing demand of Wayne State Students.

Planet Fitness 'googles' as in Warrendale and Dearborn. The actual site is in DEARBORN:

Planet Fitness
    18450 Ford Road
    [[behind Chili's just off the Southfield Freeway)
    Dearborn, MI 48228

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Thats a very old term on this board. I was not the first to use it.

I noticed a few things to comment on:

1. the Dearborn Planet Fitness is actually in Warrendale, a neighborhood of Detroit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-09-12 at 11:54 AM.

Midtown could use an eight-lane freeway with continuous service drives cutting it off from New Center, with fewer bridges connecting it to Tech Town and the Taubman Center. [[Or at least MDOT thinks so...)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Planet Fitness 'googles' as in Warrendale and Dearborn. The actual site is in DEARBORN:

Planet Fitness
    18450 Ford Road
    [[behind Chili's just off the Southfield Freeway)
    Dearborn, MI 48228
    48228 is the Joyfield Post office. Joyfield does not service Dearborn.

Yes, there's too many folks around here with dog, no secure greenspace. We need one, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    A dog park. Jesus H., a dog park.

A fabric store - sigh!

My whole point, I will like to see more new modern, bold, creative mid-size apartment's and condo's throughout midtown. Historic streetlighting and tree-lined streets. There is plenty of empty space/ vacant lots available and small gaps in-between some area that can become something other than a urban garden. Build it and they will come..

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Midtown needs more housing for the increasing demand of Wayne State Students.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    48228 is the Joyfield Post office. Joyfield does not service Dearborn.

Correct. And the Chili's as well as the Holiday Inn there are also in Detroit.

..isn't there an ice cream place on warren/2nd? Or are people talking about trying to bring a major franchise to the area, i.e., dairy queen/ baskin-robbins/ bresler's /hershey's..

..I remember the laundromat that was on 2nd leading up to the boulevard, closed down some years back.. hopefully someone will open a new place, or reopen that one..

..I'd like to see a family 'sports-dome' recreational place..

Re: Hotels, is high-end the best fit for midtown?
    Re: coffee, is Bigby coffee already in midtown yet? What all would it take for a 24-hour place to work? [[staffing issues, etc.)
    ..where could a dog park be located, ideally?
    ...what's special about Checkers, lol...
    re: housing, what are the most neglected structures in the midtown area-- better fit for rehab or razing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..isn't there an ice cream place on warren/2nd?
    As much as I would love for this to be true, I don't think there is one there. The north side of that intersection is the WSU campus, the SE corner is Old Main, and the SW corner is all apartment buildings.

about 10,000 more people

• Hotel- I believe Wayne State Univ. proposed a Hotel/Covention center on Warren and Woodward, where that so-called park that is surrounding the Subway's. It doesn't have to be High-end, something sort-of a Marriot or independent Hotel?
    • 24hr. Coffee Shop- Staffing shouldn't be an issue, if you know how to run your business right. There's plenty of 24hr restaurants and retail store that stay open 24hrs...ask how the do it.
    • Dog Park- Ride south of Selden st in Midtown..plenty of open vacant land in that area for a park.
    • Housing- Yes, there's a few homes that can be rehabed, but we need new construction also. The demand is there..
    • No decent laundromat in the area, nor ice cream shops. The closest ones are downtown proper..

..isn't there an ice cream place on warren/2nd? Or are people talking about trying to bring a major franchise to the area, i.e., dairy queen/ baskin-robbins/ bresler's /hershey's..

..I remember the laundromat that was on 2nd leading up to the boulevard, closed down some years back.. hopefully someone will open a new place, or reopen that one..

..I'd like to see a family 'sports-dome' recreational place..

Re: Hotels, is high-end the best fit for midtown?
    Re: coffee, is Bigby coffee already in midtown yet? What all would it take for a 24-hour place to work? [[staffing issues, etc.)
    ..where could a dog park be located, ideally?
    ...what's special about Checkers, lol...
    re: housing, what are the most neglected structures in the midtown area-- better fit for rehab or razing?

How about a arcade? Something for the young generation can go to..

If we rehab and build more affordable apartments and condos it will take care of that issue. QUICKLY! We can easily get that many people in Midtown if they build it.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    about 10,000 more people

How will we bring people?
    Vibrant people build vibrant cities. If you attract the creative class to Detroit and make it easy for them to innovate it will stimulate entrepreneurship and boost the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    about 10,000 more people

I think apartments over condos like "The Ellington," is the way to go in Midtown right now because you have a young transitory population that can't commit to long term condos because the jobs in this new world economy are not stable.Therefore, developments like Studio One Apartments is the way to build up Midtown, especially along Woodward. A Studio One type complex could go across the street from the David Whitney Restaurant at the corner of Woodward and Canfield. Another one could go behind the Whitney on Canfield and Cass. Another one could go on the southwest corner of Mack and Woodward. The foot traffic of those living in the apartments at Studio One is what makes it work. People feel safe knowing that any second someone coming from or heading to their apartment will be passing by.

Personally, I am against fast food joints in Midtown that require a drive-thru, which most fast food joints require. The McDonald's on Woodward near Canfield is convenient, but it takes up too much real estate for parking and therefore destroys the streetwall along that block. A non-drive-thru, walk-up Checkers would be nice, but as far as I know there's no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    • Hotel- I believe Wayne State Univ. proposed a Hotel/Covention center on Warren and Woodward, where that so-called park that is surrounding the Subway's. It doesn't have to be High-end, something sort-of a Marriot or independent Hotel?
    • No decent laundromat in the area, nor ice cream shops. The closest ones are downtown proper..
    You don't consider Marriot to be a higher end hotel?
    The Potato Place has Ice Cream, its right at Warren and Cass.

How about a arcade? Something for the young generation can go to..

hmm.. I'd love an arcade, with plenty of vintage games.. of course, in today's era of home gaming, traditional arcades have gone by the wayside..

hmm.. I'd love an arcade, with plenty of vintage games.. of course, in today's era of home gaming, traditional arcades have gone by the wayside..
    Roscoe's over there on Woodward and Warren bit the dust ages ago. 'Twas a sad day.

Walking around downtown Sunday and happened to go into the newish Jazzy Convenience Store on Woodward. Nice little place, guys said they are waiting on their liquer license. Actually got a good upclose look at the Broderick as well, looks good, the bottom floors are still open to the air but it looks like they are keeping the origional wood window frames.

I would like to see some street vendors in the summer open up. They would take advantage of the events such as sporting events, auto show etc.

I think the open lot to the north of the Compuware building, over the underground parking structure should be the site for a multi level big box store with the food market on the bottom floor.
    Last edited by BEEAH; January-10-12 at 01:09 AM.

Ravine Guest

Not to dwell on it-- or in it-- but that Planet Fitness [[mentioned earlier) is in 48228, which is a Detroit zip code.

They do, however, seem to list themselves as being in Dearborn; I am guessing that they want to be seen as being in Dearborn, and are hoping that wishful thinking, and a bit of outright dishonesty, will make it so.
    The likely attempt at monkey business is aided & abetted by the fact that Dearborn 48128 is right nearby, causing the entire deceptive, conspiratorial, and downright subversive effort to be easily shrugged off as a "simple mistake."

ATTENTION, FITNESS-CONSCIOUS CITIZENS!! DO NOT BE HOOD-WINKED!!

Hopefully, the U.S. Postal Service makes them pay for their tomfoolery by lobbing their mail back & forth for a few days longer than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I think apartments over condos like "The Ellington," is the way to go in Midtown right now because you have a young transitory population that can't commit to long term condos because the jobs in this new world economy are not stable.Therefore, developments like Studio One Apartments is the way to build up Midtown, especially along Woodward. A Studio One type complex could go across the street from the David Whitney Restaurant at the corner of Woodward and Canfield. Another one could go behind the Whitney on Canfield and Cass. Another one could go on the southwest corner of Mack and Woodward. The foot traffic of those living in the apartments at Studio One is what makes it work. People feel safe knowing that any second someone coming from or heading to their apartment will be passing by.

Personally, I am against fast food joints in Midtown that require a drive-thru, which most fast food joints require. The McDonald's on Woodward near Canfield is convenient, but it takes up too much real estate for parking and therefore destroys the streetwall along that block. A non-drive-thru, walk-up Checkers would be nice, but as far as I know there's no such thing.
    Fast food CAN build urban-friendly stores [[there are plenty in Chicago and especially New York).

But at this time, in a city where everyone is forced to use a car as a now and zoning laws are laxed, there's not much of an incentive for them to build an urban store.

• Dollar Tree
    • Taco bell/Checkers
    • Large 24-hr Laundromat
    • Another gas station south of Selden st. either on Woodward, Cass, and/or Second
    • Dog park/ Large organized playscape/playground.
    • Ice cream shop
    • Few more fun, creative moms-pops shop
    • Better public Lighting, tree-lined streets
    • Bike lanes/ Greenways
    • 24-hr Coffee Shop
    • Hotel
    • More New construction of lofts apartments/brownstones throughout Cass, Second, and Third from Canfield south to I-75,west to Lodge freeway. Connecting Woodbridge and newly constructed Cornerstone Estates off Mack/Mlk blvd.
    I would love to see a Cheesecake Factory in Mid-Town or downtown. I'd go to that for sure.

Sigh... I remember I used to go to the Schnelli Deli [[sp?)... not as good as Oak Park/Southfield deli's... but as a student... it was good in a pinch....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast