Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Real question - if you're not a WSU student who can use the campus gym, but live in Midtown...where is your gym? YMCA downtown?
    if Im not mistaken cant you get a membership to wayne state's gym as someone who doesn't go there?

Lol thanks, Roq!

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    You are now my second most favorite poster on this site.

Panera bread...no. We have Avalon Bakery. I'm fine with that

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    You just don't care if Midtown ever gets a Panera Bread, do you?

Zoots to re-open.

How about Planet Fitness..that seems to be a cool place that can fit very well in Midtown. 24hrs too...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Yeah, but that's a little bit of a hike.

Nonetheless, I've thought for a couple years that a gym would be really good for Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    They should all be herded like cattle and fenced in.
    Are you offering up your backyard then?

Actually, a couple more mid-rise mixed residential projects [[like the Auburn and Studio One Apartments) w/ground floor retail can work throughout Midtown. Studio One is a major success in mixing national and local retail/restaurants. We need more of those throughout midtown. Be creative with bold designs and layouts for future young residents. It's what we like..

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Force them to a restricted area.
    Hamsterdam?

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    if Im not mistaken cant you get a membership to wayne state's gym as someone who doesn't go there?
    I think that was the case at one point but now it looks like you have to know someone who is a student or member of the gym.

http://rfc.wayne.edu/sponsored-members.php

That'd be great. I used the one in Dearborn. No muss, no fuss. Low rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    How about Planet Fitness..that seems to be a cool place that can fit very well in Midtown. 24hrs too...

Planet Fitness is pretty useless if you're into bench pressing however.

They have strict weight limits on their barbells.

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Are you offering up your backyard then?
    Waste land available on the east side 100's of acres.

I second Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Planet Fitness is pretty useless if you're into bench pressing however.

They have strict weight limits on their barbells.
    And that's why I don't get there. What is the point in having a membership to a gym if they restrict your weight limits?!

Would'nt it fit very nice on Mack/Mlk av. and Woodward Across from Starbucks. The vacant lot next to that senior residential towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I second Taco Bell

When I was in Long Beach Calif. a couple of months ago I stayed downtown. They have free shuttle buses that go all over the downtown area. It sure would be nice to have something like that in Midtown.

I hear that. PF is limited. It's cheap and good for a treadmill/ or pedel workout scene so you don't have to buy that stuff and have it take up your front or bedroom... LOL! Do Powerhouse for full out I guess, but I've not been a member there for over 15 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    And that's why I don't get there. What is the point in having a membership to a gym if they restrict your weight limits?!

Ah that brings back the memories of the 3 Center Mini bus set up. That was nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    When I was in Long Beach Calif. a couple of months ago I stayed downtown. They have free shuttle buses that go all over the downtown area. It sure would be nice to have something like that in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ah that brings back the memories of the 3 Center Mini bus set up. That was nice!
    What was really nice about riding the shuttle for visitors was that the drivers would recommend places along the route.

If I were Bing, I would top off Midtown with the world's largest Super Walmart. The building would be bounded by Cass, 3rd, Charlotte and Peterboro with 2nd Avenue bridged over. It would have 14 floors.

My list is a mix of some national, some Michigan based and some local…

A men’s clothing store – middle of the road prices - sweaters, jeans, shoes/boots, etc. I'm tired of driving to Great Lakes or 12-Oaks, I've often wondered why Urban Outfitter has not opened a store - I don't shop there, but it seems like a good fit for the area

A first run movie theatre – I do like RenCen4, but I’d also like more options.

Mudgies Midtown!

[[City) Target like the one they have in Chicago - find a decent size building and rehab it

A Furniture store – maybe an ArtVan that carries a little more of their contemporary stuff, but a smaller version of their normal stores – they have decent stuff, some trendy, and not too expensive

A Mongolian BBQ [[BD's would be OK with me).

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    A men’s clothing store – middle of the road prices - sweaters, jeans, shoes/boots, etc. I'm tired of driving to Great Lakes or 12-Oaks, I've often wondered why Urban Outfitter has not opened a store - I don't shop there, but it seems like a good fit for the area
    There's National Dry Goods by the old Tiger Stadium [[on Trumbull going towards the Post Office) and The Source Apparel on Charlotte and Woodward.

detroitjim Guest

lumpen proletariat
    Thanks! I likes it

Who said DetroitYes forums can't help you put the learn on?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Thanks! I likes it

Who said DetroitYes forums can't help you put the learn on?
    Thats a very old term on this board. I was not the first to use it.

I noticed a few things to comment on:

1. the Dearborn Planet Fitness is actually in Warrendale, a neighborhood of Detroit.
    2. Not every building should have first floor retail. If you did that, you would overbuild the retail space and have too much supply for its demand.
    3. Where would you put the dog park? There is little space there as it is. Do many folks who live in those appartments have dogs? When I was there, dogs were a rarity.

Ravine Guest

A dog park. Jesus H., a dog park.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast