Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    A little bit ridiculous when the city is at 1/3 of its peak Population.
    A little bit ridiculous? To me, it's off the charts. There's so many beautiful houses absolutely wasted in this city, on just about every block, it's enough to make a person cry.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    A little bit ridiculous? To me, it's off the charts. There's so many beautiful houses absolutely wasted in this city, on just about every block, it's enough to make a person cry.
    "
    Agreed; but it's like the Estate Agent tells us - it's "location, location, location". I remember not buying into this concept when I was young and didn't have much money/experience but now I know it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    "
    Agreed; but it's like the Estate Agent tells us - it's "location, location, location". I remember not buying into this concept when I was young and didn't have much money/experience but now I know it's true.

Keep in mind that the much of the poor are located where they are because that is where the services for the poor are located. Move the poor, and you have to move the services.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Keep in mind that the much of the poor are located where they are because that is where the services for the poor are located. Move the poor, and you have to move the services.
    It is easier to move the services which is what is being done in some respect ,but that is what a long term growth plan is for ,keeps things kinda spread out to lesson the impact.

As far as the 14% tax I would not mind paying it IF I knew it was going towards making a better city and of course receiving the basics in services but if they can get more paying that are not currently they should be able to lower the rate anyways.

One reason I think people are reluctant tobuy a property in Detroit is the 14% tax base. There is NO WAY that I'm goingto be trapped in the 14%
    I believe this is a misinterpretation. The 14% is the portion of Detroit's revenues that come from the property tax, not the portion of properties that pay property taxes.

That's the power of urban gentrification. Once development comes into an almost black and blighted ghetto slums of Detroit, property values change, buildings remodeled and rents go up.

I look at the census percentage from projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map?hp. I looked the at the full majority black communities in Detroit ghettohoods which are 80 to 90%. But the percentage is decreasing. In the meantime the hot spots for white folks moving to Detroit inner city slums are Brush Park, Corktown, Midtown and parts of Downtown Detroit.

If I see the demograhic pattern change in Detroit in 2030, Downtown Detroit to Midtown along Woodward Ave. will be 25 to 40%. Blacks will still resides from west side, northwest side, northeast side and east side. More of them will keep on moving into inner ring suburbs.

In the meantime the slow growing Mexican/Hispanic community will be on longer in Southwest side Barriohoods, but merging up past W. Warren Ave to the west side and near northwest Detroit ghettohoods. It would cause the population to increase to 15%. Detroit longtime residents are slowing getting pushed out when gentrification, housing and retail germinates in the ghettohoods.

Just you all wait and see. Detroit will diversify one way or another.

RE: The "art house" incident mentioned in the Detroit News article . . .

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...y_art_hou.html