Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

and more new....

Attachment 1754
    Port Authority Terminal near the Ren Cen.

Attachment 1755
    Gabriel Richard Building under active renovation. [[above and below).

Attachment 1756

Attachment 1757
    Adams Theater Office Building demolition and reconstruction.

Attachment 1758
    New 5 and 10 Bar on Woodward.

New retail stores are coming soon to Downtown Detroit. This city still got some spirit.

DetroitDad Guest

and more new.

Attachment 1759
    New loft development coming to the old Cafe Detroit Building near the Skillman Library.

Attachment 1760
    The new DTE Campus.

Attachment 1761
    Work still is going on at the mystery project in the former United Artist Building.

Attachment 1762

Also;

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...light=Corktown

and

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=1292
    Last edited by DetroitDad; June-15-09 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I prefer to go online, read other user reviews, and browse the wider selection. It is the wider selection of online book stores that I really love. Instead of having to choose between 4 books or no books on a esoteric subject, I can choose from 100. And then I can buy them used and save 80%, or maybe only 60% after shipping. And no sales tax. Local book outlets will have a hard time beating that experience.
    Brick and mortar stores, especially local, independent stores, contribute more to the local economy than online retailers ever would. Local outlets use local banks which employ local people. Local outlets use local services such as plumbers, electricians, window washers. Local outlets employ local people who probably have lunch at local restaurants which employ local people. Employees drive to work after stopping at local gas stations with local employees. Or maybe they take local mass transit with local bus drivers. Local outlets might get flowers from Eastern Market or shopping bags from Detroit Fixture Co. Many local business donate goods, services or money to local charities and organizations that go unnoticed by large corporations.

While many small businesses cannot price-match online discounters, they can often special order things for customers, especially books. I like independent bookstores, but I know Borders has a good ordering process and they often offer discounts and specials, too.

Shopping locally is not just a quaint idea for folks who like it when the shopkeeper knows their name. It really is necessary for sustainable communities even if it means passing up a good deal.

Nice pics, Detroitdad. I hope that someone will be able to do something at the Asian Village building. It's a shame that something that new is not being properly utilized.

I know all that.

But for a book store it's a real problem. Why go to a book store when you can get the same thing at home, and more of it? If I go to Borders, would even their "ordering process" have as many items listed under esoteric topics as Amazon.com? Can I buy used books at Borders and save 60% - 80%? For me that is the choice between buying one book or 3 books. I would rather buy 3.

An attempt at a creative solution might be, you go to a local book store, order from Amazon.com but the shipping is 100% free due to a special relationship between Amazon.com and the local store. That just looks at the money aspect, but its a start of an idea.

I love local stores, but for some things I just don't see a solution.

Very nice photographs. I wonder what could be if there was a strong sustained sense of cooperation for the sake of economic expansion. Politics and imperfections aside, I'm hoping Bing will bring leadership and vision that the people will come to believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I know all that.

But for a book store it's a real problem. Why go to a book store when you can get the same thing at home, and more of it? If I go to Borders, would even their "ordering process" have as many items listed under esoteric topics as Amazon.com? Can I buy used books at Borders and save 60% - 80%? For me that is the choice between buying one book or 3 books. I would rather buy 3.

An attempt at a creative solution might be, you go to a local book store, order from Amazon.com but the shipping is 100% free due to a special relationship between Amazon.com and the local store. That just looks at the money aspect, but its a start of an idea.

I love local stores, but for some things I just don't see a solution.
    Used bookstores can be quite wonderful, you know.

You often do not have to pay for shipping when ordering directly from bookstores because the publisher or wholesaler does not usually charge the store when they have an active account. And small businesses love to please customers and will often offer special incentives like free gift wrapping and shipping.

Amazon does have a large database of titles and inexpensive used options and I also like reading the reviews. But you may be surprised by what Borders can get. Or better yet, what the mom-and-pop store can get. I've spent many hours and years working in tiny and large bookstores. [[Borders included). Many times a customer just had to ask for that obscure book that they hadn't found anywhere and we would do a quick wholesaler or publisher search and discovered that we could indeed get it into a customer's hands. As a customer, I have ordered books from the Shrine of the Black Madonna and Bookbeat that the authors have probably forgotten about.

Used books are a different animal, but depending on your browsing temperament, John King is paradise. And area libraries somewhere are almost always having book sales. And what a wonderful institution to patronize! Libraries are more supportive to the overall economy than Amazon and just great places in general.

I think I understand your POV Rick, but I don't think you realize the full effect of shopping online.

iheartbooks really outlined the process quite well. You many save some shopping time and some money ordering specific books you want or need online, but you cut out a full chain of employment opportunities by doing that.

Even if it is a chain store, much of that employment chain still applies.

Just something to think about.

Detroit's the first to get hit, the worst to get hit, and the last to recover.

DetroitDad Guest

There ARE plenty of online retailers that have facilities in Detroit and Michigan. A few are even "mom and pop shops". I don't understand what is wrong from buying from an online retailer if they are local.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; June-15-09 at 03:56 PM.

add janet's java to the list...permanently closing february 19th - and of course, au bon pain closed in campus martius. dang!

How the heck is that place closing? There's always a line out the door in the morning... Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    How the heck is that place closing? There's always a line out the door in the morning... Hmm
    Exactly. The morning. See anybody in there after 2 or 3? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I would say get used to it.

We lost our Compuware store, Borders, Linens & Things, Circuit City, Crate & Barrel, Ruby Tuesday's, Sound Advice, etc, etc.
    Linens & Things, Circuit City, and Sound Advice were corporate bankruptcies and even the profitable stores had to close.

Borders is marginal and is closing their low performing stores.

Ruby Tuesday is OK, but closes unprofitable locations.

Borders is in trouble. Last Christmas was not good to them.

They are taking the following steps:

1. Phasing out or scaling back to a minimal presence music and video offerings.

2. Closure of all 182 of their Walden Book Stores [[mostly mall-based).

3. Emphasis on better-performing segments in particular juvenile and children's books.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Borders is in trouble. Last Christmas was not good to them.
    Must be why I'm getting email coupons from them every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by thecarl View Post
    add janet's java to the list...permanently closing february 19th - and of course, au bon pain closed in campus martius. dang!
    Dang,
    Janet's Java replaced another coffee shop about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. I can't remember the name of the former shop.

wow! i was just told that tim horton's is moving in where janet's java is now!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Look at the bright side folks It least this city get a mini mall at the Kresge Builiding.
    That Mini Mall is going to be a big joke. The owner still hasnt gotten that bar and restaurant open and the businesses that were there are becoming fed up and leaving. I am glad that someone is doing something with the building but the owner is using cheap contractors to renovate the inside. He is not a good businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Must be why I'm getting email coupons from them every other day.
    Their stock is selling for about a dollar a share.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Has Mr Song left for Southfield yet?
    Keep in mind, Mr. Song isn't closing like these other places; after the Aretha hat blew up, the owner of the building trying to screw the store and jack up its rent. I just get so tired of the greed in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I understand from a contact at Borders corporate in Ann Arbor that although business was "soft" they would have kept the store open if a more favorable lease could have been negotiated. Supposedly the leasing agents for the Compuware Bldg. refused to negotiate. So apparently the building would rather let the space go dark.
    I'm surprised as well, I'm aware of very high profile locations in other cities where Borders had no problems negotiating their lease. I'm not sure I understand why Compuware wouldn't negotiate as well, considering it would keep that space filled at least a few more years...... While campus martius is nice, most national retailers presently wouldn't even consider that location except for maybe a couple fast food chains. Fast casual restaurants do not count as a respectable downtown commercial area. Same with cell phone stores.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-09-10 at 08:16 PM.

southsider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Everything, of course.

I mean - what kind of question is that? Borders is losing the fight to online retailers, closing many more stores than just the downtown location. Based on personal experience and online reviews, The Woodward was over-priced, and never really found its groove as a destination for downtown dining.

Stores are closing everywhere - in Detroit, in the suburbs, in Michigan, in the whole country. They will come back, but it's going to be rough for a while.
    Hubris and denial

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast