Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ravine Guest

Inquisitive DY'ers will want to know why you were on Michigan near Central.
    You will be better off to just fess up, lest you be perceived as a white male who, hoping to score some dope, wound up being waylaid by a roving band of ne'er-do-wells.

Hey there Wobbly! Having had a bike nearly stolen from UNDER me as a teen and grappled and knocked down for not wanting to give the bike up, I feel you.

Cycling has become more of an 'adventure' recently, within the last two years. I've had two friends rolled [[robbed) riding their bikes within and thru various areas of Detroit on their way to work, or an errand - simply point a to b!

I am glad that you are ok and survived your ordeal! Take care and welcome to DYes! Pop in and chat with us some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Yes. The morning of the 4th of July riding my bicycle on Michigan Avenue near Central I turned around in a parking lot when a male with a t-shirt pulled up over his face came at me. At the same time two others went for my head. It couldn't have taken long before they had me to the ground yelling to empty my pockets - they got $5 - I got a concussion 9 hours in the Henry Ford ER and numerous bruises. They did not take my bicycle but did steal one of the saddle bags in which they got work papers of interest to no one but me.

Hell of a way to spend a holiday ... or any day.

Thanks for the kind words... I was near Michigan & Central 'cos I volunteer at a nonprofit nearby. I've been in that area enough over the past few years that my first guess what some male looking for illegal goods and services would be looking to score would have been something other than dope. There do seem to be mobile hard drug delivery services in the area... wonder why we can spot them but law enforcement cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Thanks for the kind words... I was near Michigan & Central 'cos I volunteer at a nonprofit nearby. I've been in that area enough over the past few years that my first guess what some male looking for illegal goods and services would be looking to score would have been something other than dope. There do seem to be mobile hard drug delivery services in the area... wonder why we can spot them but law enforcement cannot.
    LEO can't because apparently im not paying enough in non-resident taxes to the thug-mentality city council to A) hire enough police officers or B) the officials running the show have palm up Fingers out handshake....

The crime train missed me this year. Which probably comes down to nothing more than a combination of care and luck [[and perhaps a bit more of the latter). Although I haven't had a violent crime perpetrated upon me in the Detroit area since I was a heedless young person hanging out in some potentially violent places with potentially violent people, I've certainly had a property crime or two committed against me over the years.

As for my city taxes, I happily paid those since those of us with some income have to do something to keep this place running. All these people whining on and on about non-working streetlights, potholes, and police response time seem not to have noticed that this city is trying to keep services going over a 140 square mile area with a drastically reduced tax base due to population decline and growing poverty. Or maybe [[more likely) they just don't give a flying f--k about those of us who live here.

I am glad to say that in 2011 I wasnt a victim of any crimes. Cant say the same for 2010 though. My house was broken into and I'm still waiting for the police to show up. Well maybee they did cause after a YEAR of waiting I moved to Boston-Edison. Havent had any problems since, eventhough I'm in the middle of the Ghetto. Go Figure. Moved from Rosedale Park to Linwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    Well, I did have my garden hose stolen once, but then another one - a different one - mysteriously showed up a few days later attached to the faucet and hung up just like the old one!
    Ive had 2 spray nozzles stole in the past 3 years. Not cool. Not a 2011 metro detroit crime victim.
    Twas a good year. Difference between crime that i have experienced in detroit and metro detroit in the last decade...
    In Detroit. 2 stolen cars, 1 home break in. 1 armed home invasion while i was there [[sucked)
    and i got jumped outside a party store for a 6 pack most of this happened in the 94/whittier area except the stolen cars were by WSU and over a 2 year period
    Metro Detroit : car was broke into and my radio was stolen

Its mostly why i decided to not live in detroit. A couple of violent close calls was
    enough for me to realize... One of these days im not going to be lucky

i was rolled in front of detroit recieving while waiting for a friend to get off work by a big fat bitch in a small white car.

they got $10 off me cuz i was resting in my car in front of a meter. i looked at the timestamp on the ticket and i was only there 7 minutes.

sounds stupid, and i blame myself, but really? 7 minutes and i'm sitting in my car? i could have double parked in front of the hospital doors for the 15 minutes to give my friend a ride. but i thought i would stay clear for handicapped people to load/unload. that'll show my compassion!

btw after 6pm when the meter maids flee , the window breakers come out. i saw a guy walk right past a car and hear the familiar car window break noise. this was on st antoinne in front of hutzle/harper next to that bowling alley club place. find some secure parking instead.
    Last edited by compn; January-15-12 at 11:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2