Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Up here we kill each other by swally-ing fat meat pies and turkey at New Year's.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Poor people shouldn't be able to afford cell phones, cigarettes, and shooting off expensive ammo.
    When did ammo get expensive?

To paraphrase Chris Rock "you musta really hated him, spendin $5000 on a bullet"

I grew up on the northeast side of Detroit. As a child in the 50's I recall my dad going into the back yard and shooting his shotgun into the ground. My mom said that it was common practice in Kentucky where they grew up. At least my dad's buckshot didn't go up into the air to come down who knows where. He said that "down home" they always shot into the air over their tobacco fields. They always gave me a cooking pot and big spoon to bang. I recall other gunshots at that time, too...not just my dad. Can't recall a New Year's Eve when we lived in Detroit without the sound of gunfire from many directions. Some sounded like rifles, some shotguns and some pistols. We moved out in 1989.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; December-31-12 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I think you may have inferred waaaaay more than DVD implied.
    Yes, and a touch of anti-Arab sentiment included by him to boot

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitVideoDaily View Post
    Does anyone know when this unfortunate tradition of shooting off guns on New Year's Eve started?
    ummm, as soon as gun powder was invented?

in my life i have found at least 4 bullets [[that i could recognize, and can remember) impacted on different rooftops that i have been on, from downtown to Livonia. three were from 9mm pistols, and one was from a .30 rifle.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; December-31-12 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Based on the recent surge in semi automatic weapon sales I would think there may be many new toys to play with this New Years Eve.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...712289818/1007
    I'm guessing the vast majority of those sales are from redneck 'Obama/ the UN is coming for my guns' types. Not exactly the type people who live in a major city.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I'm guessing the vast majority of those sales are from redneck 'Obama/ the UN is coming for my guns' types.
    you would be surprised.

actually, those "redneck types" [[like, i guess, me apparently), who already have a gun collection are now able to make handsome profit at the hands of this latest hysteria, thanks to the "last-minute shoppers" by selling off some of the ones we don't use that much anymore, at up to 200% original value in some cases! and let me tell you, i have no problem making that money, because i need it to pay my bills lately.

thanks Obama! lol

ironically enough, it's him and Bill Clinton who have caused the biggest spikes in gun sales in history. every time they threaten to "ban guns," America goes on a gun-buying spree. the reality is that with the amount of guns that are owned in private hands in this country, it would require an astronomical effort to go around confiscating them. i dont think there is a way to do it...the amount of manpower you would need would be cost prohibitive. it literally WOULD take an army....

so its not really "rednecks", its driven mostly by people who are first-time gun owners afraid that if they dont get one now they wont be able to. and those ARE often the types of people who live in a major city.

^^ I second that emotion. It's an oversimplification to assume city dwellers who vote Dem arent the type to buy semi autos in a panic. The overwhelming majority of my young Obama voting friends are avid supporters of the 2nd amendment, and own an average of 2 firearms. If they possess a credit card, they've already been to Cabelas once since the Sandy Hook shooting.

When I was a kid in Detroit during 1945 on both V-E Day and V-J Day our neighbors [[mostly of German descent) were out there shooting shotguns into the air [[birdshot) but my mother made us stay in the house in case some B-Bs were coming down. She just told us the celebratory gunfire and honking of horns meant our father would be home soon from the war.

Dexlin is right. It is a Southern thing. I read somewhere that it really started in Germany 300 years ago-- at least that is the oldest reference, if I remember correctly.

shoot off fireworks instead of guns tonight.

People shoot guns on NYE all over the world. [[imo) along with fireworks and other noise makers. It happens in Detroit but also happens in the burbs [[though not as much) and also in more rural Metro Detroit areas. If someone is shooting a gun in the air in a populated area I'd offer to buy them some blanks to use instead of live bullets.

I'm starting to hear a few random shots here and there [[10:13 PM). New Center area just outside of Midtown.

Automatic Gunfire on the way home! The cat was hiding when we got home!

It seemed a bit less to me this time in my area. More large caliber shots and what seemed to be shot gun booms. Not too many semi- or automatic repetitive shots.

A few bozos just south of me in GPP decided to produce a symphony of dueling AK-47s a few minutes after midnight. There was more gunfire from my neighbors than usual this year, I'm thinkin' some were a simple show-of-force...or who's got the bullets. Silly shit.

Woke up looking for any evidence of landed lead...so far none.

I live on the border of GPW and GPF...ridiculous last night...I was standing on my driveway about 12:15 and it was constant coming from all directions...not sure if it was the weather, wind direction, humidity or what not...but it sounded like far more than I have heard in recent years. I'm a proud and responsible gun owner--this is idiotic behavior, regardless of where it originated or how much of a 'tradition' it is.

On the beach here, and we had fireworks, lots and lots of them. Maybe a gun or two, but mostly fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    More large caliber shots and what seemed to be shot gun booms.
    those were mostly fireworks. remember, they are legal now.

i heard a lot of guns and fireworks. heard at least two guys with full-autos and even the guy 3 doors down from me was shooting. i stayed in my house.

Went to bed at 10 p.m. and slept through it. Wife said there were maybe a dozen bangs out here in the Las Vegas suburb of Henderson. Cat didn't like it at all according to her.

Did watch midnight hit Times Square on TV [[9 p.m. PST). Man, I wouldn't get into that crowd if you paid me big money.

East Losange Jealous also experiences a "barrage" of gunfire at New Year's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Went to bed at 10 p.m. and slept through it. Wife said there were maybe a dozen bangs out here in the Las Vegas suburb of Henderson. Cat didn't like it at all according to her.

Did watch midnight hit Times Square on TV [[9 p.m. PST). Man, I wouldn't get into that crowd if you paid me big money.

OMG, we watched a bit of that last night...and I cringed when the one person quoted a NYC official saying "this was the safest place to be in the world at the moment".

Why challenge Murphy?! Why boast?

Yeah for sure some where shot gun blasts... I am very familiar with the specific tonality of that ----! But for sure there were some left over fireworks deployed as well. Overall it was quieter. I was half asleep until a few caught my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    those were mostly fireworks. remember, they are legal now.

i heard a lot of guns and fireworks. heard at least two guys with full-autos and even the guy 3 doors down from me was shooting. i stayed in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    On the beach here, and we had fireworks, lots and lots of them. Maybe a gun or two, but mostly fireworks.
    Can I ask where the beach is?

Hi, HonkyTonk, I am by the Space Center at the moment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast