Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Nope, never give anything out. We donate a lot during the year to various organizations; if they want money from me go to those services and be helped.

Giving them money on the street is not helping them one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    At a gas station a couple of days ago a guy said "I'll pump your gas for $5.00." I said "$5.00 are you crazy." He said "don't you know we're in a recession lady?"
    I'm surprised Michigan doesn't have any regulations about how panhandlers are supposed to act. In Ontario, it's illegal to panhandle/solicit a car that just parked in front of gas pump to pump gas, solicit someone walking to and from an ATM, etc. Perhaps, you should complain to your Michigan Rep. to enact some kind of law if there isn't one already.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_99s08_e.htm

Safe Streets Act, 1999
    Solicitation of captive audience prohibited Section [[2) No person shall,

[[a) solicit a person who is using, waiting to use, or departing from an automated teller machine;

[[b) solicit a person who is using or waiting to use a pay telephone or a public toilet facility;

[[c) solicit a person who is waiting at a taxi stand or a public transit stop;

[[d) solicit a person who is in or on a public transit vehicle;
    [[e) solicit a person who is in the process of getting in, out of, on or off a vehicle or who is in a parking lot; or
    [[f) while on a roadway, solicit a person who is in or on a stopped, standing or parked vehicle. 1999, c. 8, s. 3 [[2).

Offence
    Section 5. [[1) Every person who contravenes section 2, 3 or 4 is guilty of an offence and is liable,

[[a) on a first conviction, to a fine of not more than $500; and
    [[b) on each subsequent conviction, to a fine of not more than $1,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 1999, c. 8, s. 5 [[1).

I completely agree with Zacha341's comment, "Sometimes you just give [[within the range of safety)."
    You can never be too careful. Also agree with Ravine's comment, "sometimes I feel like, well, suppose the person does want to get a bottle. If I was Up Against It, and out there like that, I'd probably want one, too, so I don't begrudge it."

As far as someone faking a pregnancy by downing a whole box of cornstarch, I guess she would need something so bad it would fall in the "whatever gets you through the night" category. Not easy to do by any stretch [[and I still have trouble) but, once you stop judging the reason they ask, then sometimes you just give a bit, as long as it's safe. And thank God you're not or someone you care about hasn't reached such low point as to beg on the street.

Not meaning to be all preachy, but life throws a lot of junk at people. And drug addicted or alcoholic and on the street can't be an easy ride.
    -DVD

I was asked for money from this guy in Birmingham Michigan yesterday.He was a young guy with a reddish beard. I told him that I keep my money for myself. It is not just a poor Detroit thing anymore. There was on panhandler who had remembered me 6 months later and had given me a couple of dollars back then walked away. I just put the dollars in the collection plate and church and prayed for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    At a gas station a couple of days ago a guy said "I'll pump your gas for $5.00." I said "$5.00 are you crazy." He said "don't you know we're in a recession lady?"
    Too many people get robbed and shot at gas stations.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Too many people get robbed and shot at gas stations.

People get robbed and shot everywhere...one is too many.

In the five years I've been using Detroit gas stations all over the city I've never had a problem.

On the other hand my philosophy is you have to be straight up with them. You're not going to help them. Tell them so. "No, sorry." Or, "Don't you dare touch my car!"

If you're in the Wayne State Area and somebody is harassing you like that call the WSU Police. 313.577.2222

Otherwise this is one of them keep calm and carry on situations. I know it's hard in the moment but IMO it's best not to even allow the possibility that they could get money from you in your refusal. So none of that "I only have cards," or "I'll buy you food," nonsense.

Now go volunteer at the Capuchin Soup Kitchen or with Detroit Reads if you have a little time.

*Edit: I have had to tell a lady to walk on once. I was just trying to eat at Nikki's on the patio and she saw fit to try to intimidate me and/or my friends. I told her to walk on that I wasn't giving her anything. She walked away protesting.
    Last edited by laphoque; December-31-11 at 03:12 AM.

Blame you're parents for putting you in this situation, McPathetic.
    Oh,BTW, get out of my face! Welcome to the D!

Panhandlers use the money they make for their habits, duh. By giving them a few bucks you let them escape for a few moments from the world they live in. I give when I can and or feel like it knowing full well where the moneys going. On a couple of occasions I was the one asking for change. What pisses me off is that the money ultimately winds up in the pockets of drug dealers. Legalize the shit, control it, regulate it, dispense it.

I know in my heart I'm doing the right thing giving someone one more dollar, or two, they didn't have before. I don't care about what they do with the dollar, as long as it makes them happy.

What panhandlers do with the money can't be any worse than a non-profit which will pocket 3/4s of my contribution FOR profit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3