Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

many times i have been followed into the starbucks at woodward and mlk.they usually ask for money for the bus.its a real bother.the store should monitor the people mhk.

My apologies Zach for the mis reading

My issue is with the guy who asks if he can pump your gas as you're walking in. Even if you say no, you walk back outside and there he is, pumping your gas. I had it happen once and the guy pumped the wrong gas in my car, which stalled on my way to work the next day. I had to walk almost a mile to buy a gas treatment. I learned my lesson about being direct with the pumphawks.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    My issue is with the guy who asks if he can pump your gas as you're walking in. Even if you say no, you walk back outside and there he is, pumping your gas. I had it happen once and the guy pumped the wrong gas in my car, which stalled on my way to work the next day. I had to walk almost a mile to buy a gas treatment. I learned my lesson about being direct with the pumphawks.
    I never go inside the building...I always use my card...I know it costs a few cents more but not as much as a window replacement.

Ughh! I WISH I would find someone 'touching' my car! Well actually I don't. But that is SO NERVY and I think the person that does that picks 'who' to try that on.

Some might bust them in the face for doing that! Or worse, people are edge about having people close to their personal property. I always say no to the pump hounds and remind them to no 'touch' my car.

Best to go to gas stations where most of the people there are fellow drivers pumping gas, not trolling and bothering people!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-11 at 08:51 PM.

I go in with some stations in 'safer' areas sometimes. I need the 10 cent per gallon or more savings from paying cash. But rarely in the city will I do cash. I use my debit card at the pump to get in and out fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I never go inside the building...I always use my card...I know it costs a few cents more but not as much as a window replacement.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-11 at 08:59 PM.

I did not say she 'made it up'. The behavior at these stations is not atypical. It's common. I just get my gas outside of the city to avoid all this agnst. How dare someone put their hand on your car, but I think those that do this 'choose' who to do that to.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    MidtownMs is right. There are men who will come up to your pump and grab it or try to and pump your gas and asking or demanding of money. This is an on going occurence in Detroit. It had happened to my friends as well. These gas staiton attendence in the city don't care about who hang around their station. I would say that everyone should circle the gas station first to see if anyone is hanging around it or at the bus stop in front of it. Keep going if you notice anyone around who is not pumping gas in their own cars. Try not to run below half tank. Go to the suburbs for you gas if possible. Pump in the daytime and not the evening. Don't listen to a person such as Zach who thinks that MidtownMs is making it up. This happens at many stations

Oh, I re-read thru everything. We're good. No problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    My apologies Zach for the mis reading

One of the more notorious areas for being asked for change is the Cadieux/I-94 interchange on Harper Ave. There are 4 gas stations [[one on each corner)... and it got so annoying, I stopped going there when in the area to get gas. I usually hit the Shell on Mack and Gateshead [[still in Detroit).

^^^ I was a captive audience to those stations and their associated pandhandlers and pump-hounds a few times having allowed myself to get on 'e'. Ick... Bad area.

Default Panhandling

I once stopped to pump gas using my debit card. A guy in a car at the next pump tells me he's broke and ran out of gas. He asks for some change, and I tell him I don't have any, that I'm using my card. He looks at me and asks if I'll use my card and let him pump gas in his tank. Uh, no.

A guy was panhandling for money to buy food sitting outside a soul food joint on Gratiot and asked me for change on the way in. I told him to wait until I leave. I purchased a couple extra rolls and handed them to him on the way out. He looked at me and said "what's this?" I told him, and he acted like I had insulted him.

I used to see this one woman on a bench in all kinds of weather, I offered her a couple granola bars. She said no, and asked for cash. Sometimes even when people ask for money for food, they really don't want food. -- I used to not give change, but recently I've started giving again. The spare change isn't going to break me, and hopefully it will help the ones that really need it.

I'll never forget one time a very pregnant, very high and looking very much addicted to something woman begged for some money at a gas station. She really looked horrible. I gave her a buck, and immediately started to pray for her. Sometimes we just shouldn't judge.

A real person in need won't be out begging for money like that. If i was in need, I would at least ask businesses if I can do a little work around their shop for some money just to grab some dinner.

These people out there only want money for one of two things or even both.

Booze and Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Would you kindly tell me where I can find one within the city limits???
    Marathon at Michigan Ave. near Trumbull...never had a problem.
    Gas station on west side of Woodward near Wayne State...many times WSU cops there.
    I-75 at Mack ave.
    I-75 at Jefferson.

Never have had a problem at any of those stations. But I only gas up in the daytime, too.

Well stated. Sometimes you just give [[within the range of safety) and send out a prayer!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitVideoDaily View Post
    I'll never forget one time a very pregnant, very high and looking very much addicted to something woman begged for some money at a gas station. She really looked horrible. I gave her a buck, and immediately started to pray for her. Sometimes we just shouldn't judge.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well stated. Sometimes you just give [[within the range of safety) and send out a prayer!
    I agree with that and with DVD's concluding statement.
    And-- frankly-- sometimes I feel like, well, suppose the person does want to get a bottle. If I was Up Against It, and out there like that, I'd probably want one, too, so I don't begrudge it.

The degree of judgmental mean-spiritedness that I have seen to be on some kind of up-swing, here in DY, is nauseating.

Occurrence Guest

I'd rather the panhandlers just be honest. If they tell me up front they want money for booze or crack I'm more likely to give them something. I don't like liars.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitVideoDaily View Post

I'll never forget the 1,978,436th time that woman rode her bike up to me when I lived in Eastern Market, with her sad face and woeful story.

I did a quickie calculation and realized she was gestating an elephant. She'd easily been 'pregnant' for five years or more.

Then I remembered something Tonia said a few years back, one of my homeless friends from the time Jams poured down at the Beaubien Street Saloon. She told me that woman downed an entire box of Cornstarch to get her belly to distend like that...

I guess my eyes would be a wee bit glazed over, too.

Sometimes we need to discern when we judge...might help make our prayers more precise.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; December-30-11 at 06:34 AM.

This makes no sense. If you see him pumping your gas into the wrong car, why would you not call him out on it, approach the station manager and rip him a new one, or buy more gas?

The station manager is not going to care unless he is called on the carpet. He is ultimately responsible to get the paying customer what she payed for, not the guy trying to scam his customer. If you couls not get anywhere with him I would have called the cops. You were robbed, you should not just take that laying down.

BTW I love your term pumphawk!

Yes, discernment is key on so many levels. If that person spent more time on other things rather than pushing a fraudulent pregnancy no telling how their life could change. But that's another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'll never forget the 1,978,436th time that woman rode her bike up to me when I lived in Eastern Market, with her sad face and woeful story.

I did a quickie calculation and realized she was gestating an elephant. She'd easily been 'pregnant' for five years or more.

Then I remembered something Tonia said a few years back, one of my homeless friends from the time Jams poured down at the Beaubien Street Saloon. She told me that woman downed an entire box of Cornstarch to get her belly to distend like that...

I would have called the police [[and gone to their station seeing as that would not likely come to the site), the gas station central office demanding a refund and any associated repairs to my car. Then on to the national headquarters [[call and email)... I would have gone OFF, all in the context of a detailed 'professional' complaint beyond the person behind the bulletproof.

Take things like this to the top... then you may get results. Have dates and times and descriptions ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This makes no sense. If you see him pumping your gas into the wrong car, why would you not call him out on it, approach the station manager and rip him a new one, or buy more gas?

The station manager is not going to care unless he is called on the carpet. He is ultimately responsible to get the paying customer what she payed for, not the guy trying to scam his customer. If you couls not get anywhere with him I would have called the cops. You were robbed, you should not just take that laying down.

Last edited by Zacha341; December-30-11 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

She said HE PUMPED THE WRONG GAS INTO MY CAR.... and not MY GAS INTO THE WRONG CAR....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    She said HE PUMPED THE WRONG GAS INTO MY CAR.... and not MY GAS INTO THE WRONG CAR....
    Now that makes sense! I am laughing my dammed head off right now. Usually the places I go to ask me when I hand them the $ what kind of gas I wanted. Like I am going to put premium into my Taurus!

Loss of jobs, loss of gov't benefits and loss of Welfare Cheese benefits would lead to increase of panhandling problems. Detroit is the troubling hotspot for people asking for money to survive [[even aggressively!). Where are the food banks and churches meant to feed the hungry in the ghettoes? Where are the compassionate people meant to give? As Christmas past and another new year approaches, there will be more loss of jobs, and benefits. There will be people out in the streets begging for sliver and gold rather seeking Jesus Christ for help and salvation.

Hmm, I hear that. Don't let there be a major disruption in EBT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Loss of jobs, loss of gov't benefits and loss of Welfare Cheese benefits would lead to increase of panhandling problems. Detroit is the troubling hotspot for people asking for money to survive [[even aggressively!). Where are the food banks and churches meant to feed the hungry in the ghettoes? Where are the compassionate people meant to give? As Christmas past and another new year approaches, there will be more loss of jobs, and benefits. There will be people out in the streets begging for sliver and gold rather seeking Jesus Christ for help and salvation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast