Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Stephen Henderson: A Detroit review team with Detroit roots

"If you were inclined to believe that the state's review of Detroit's finances was a sneaky way to take over the city and disempower its people, the members of the team appointed Tuesday to figure out where Detroit stands should serve as a reality check.

Gov. Rick Snyder, Treasurer Andy Dillon and the others who had appointments all chose representatives with deep, historical connections to the city [[though thankfully not to city government), as well as expertise that will be needed."

Link to article

I'm inclined to view this as mostly a political move. I don't see a lot of "expertise" in the list that's going to come up with alternatives beyond what's going to be proposed. Snyder and Co. appear to have already decided that a state takeover is going to happen no matter what comes out of Detroit in the next month. By appointing a team with a lot of well-connected names, this preordained decision is given the gloss of having been decided by "Detroiters" when the truth is that the decision has already been made. But what do I know. Maybe Ike McKinnon and Co. will prove otherwise.
    Last edited by Novine; December-27-11 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added link to article