Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Whoa, hold on, wait a minute.
    Are you saying that he deliberately scaled the fence and jumped? It certainly sounds that way.
    If so, do you know why?
    I edited my story above your post.

Ravine Guest

Cripes!!
    OK, got it. Thanks for sharing that one.
    Sorry about you seeing that, and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Cripes!!
    OK, got it. Thanks for sharing that one.
    Sorry about you seeing that, and all.
    Edited it again, the incident did happen at Cicotte. I don't think this happened because of my foggy memory, they might have shut down I-75 between Outer Drive and Southfield for an hour or so.

MT burb, that is a terrible story, but did you mean to say yOu were 13 years old? 3 years seems a little young to be playing on freeway overpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    MT burb, that is a terrible story, but did you mean to say yOu were 13 years old?
    I couldn't have been 13 in 1984. Maybe you thought it was in 1994?

And by the way, it was a one-and-a-half-hour-long walk from my then-home in Southgate to that overpass, mostly taking Burns Street and Lafayette.
    Last edited by mtburb; December-27-11 at 07:38 PM.

Father: Detroit Lions' Fan Fatally Hit by Bus Was an 'Angel'

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...l-020111227-ms

While it is an undeniably stupid act to walk in front of a bus [[especially given all of the PSA's and instruction I, at least, had as a kid about looking both ways) Detroit is not a safe place for pedestrians. Part of the benefit of center-running light rail would be to tame Woodward. Detroit was number one for pedestrian traffic fatalities. Michigan as a whole does poorly as well. We've got to plan our cities for pedestrians. Michigan tends to plan for cars and we end up with sprawling hellscapes.

Detroiters seem to have an odd habit of walking in the street instead of on the sidewalk and often cross wherever they see fit. Add the numerous speeders and it's a wonder it's not a bigger problem.

[[Just read that trafficmichigan link, we're twice as likely to be killed by a car in Detroit than other major American cities, that's just awful.)
    Last edited by Enduro; December-27-11 at 11:12 PM.

^ You could try the 30 mph unless otherwise posted law. Don't know how well it work, but legally allows you to enforce speeding laws without any signage. Something tells me people would get away with speeding even more, yet the "I didn't see the sign excuse" wouldnt fly.

I'll agree what this person did was stupid. We're all guilty of doing something careless at some point and my lives. But I'm sure this person was a great guy.

If I got a dollar for everytime a person stepped in front of me while I was on a bike or driving a car I'd be rich. I just assume people run out in the street now. Ive seen a guy run out, get hit by a car, get right back running then get hit by a second car, then keep running before a cop grabbed him and wrote a jaywalking ticket. People do dumb stuff, but having to die for it is tragic.
    Last edited by wolverine; December-28-11 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    ^
    If I got a dollar for everytime a person stepped in front of me while I was on a bike or driving a car I'd be rich.
    You can fault a driver for assuming certain things in the City that invented carjacking[[treating stoplights like stop signs comes to mind)

Vehicle/Pedestrian and Vehicle/Bicycle fatalities are a serious killer. Florida has been trying to fight this, especially in the Tampa area. Their awareness campaign has a website and controversial video [[that they had to take down).

The increased numbers of pedestrians and cyclists in areas in and around downtown Detroit causes increased risks of accidents, and the behavior of all parties concerned creates risks. The reality is that the deaths fall almost totally on the cyclists and pedestrians.

The data on the websites shows Michigan is #8 in fatalities in these kinds of crashes. It also states that half the fatal pedestrian crashes are the fault of the pedestrian ignoring traffic control devices or right of ways, and that half of all bicycle crashes are the fault of the cyclist. Of serious injury and deadly crashes for bikes, the cyclist is at fault 39% of time- [[be right and be dead).....

Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOGybM0Srzk

Site http://www.seetheblindspots.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3