Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    sorry, but the stock market has been exaggerated by speculators rather severely for the last few years. That is why there is so little stability in the market, why there is so many wide swings. it is not based on investment strategies any more -- it is based on speculation-based strategies.
    What are normal swings? When did they last exist? Aren't all investors speculators if they don't have an inside track? What are the other types of strategies you suggest? Where did you gain all you insight from, the Daily Kos or the DU?

Supply demand suggests that the more something costs, the less of it will be bought. Tack 2.5 or 5% taxes on it [[which is it?) and other investments start looking more attractive while stock prices lapse. Lapsing stock prices mean less money to spend and jobs are cut.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Supply demand suggests that the more something costs, the less of it will be bought. Tack 2.5 or 5% taxes on it [[which is it?) and other investments start looking more attractive while stock prices lapse. Lapsing stock prices mean less money to spend and jobs are cut.
    Sorry, I was looking at the original transaction tax that was imposed from 1914 - 1966 when it was 0.1% when stocks were issued and 0.04% on transfers. Right now there's a transaction tax [[Section 31 fee) of 0.0034% that raises about 2 billion dollars a year that's used to finance the Securities and Exchange Commission, but it's more income than they need to run it.

I was thinking of the 0.04% tax on transactions because it's almost negligible to buying stocks but would slow down speculation on the transfers. It's also thought that it would raise about 40 billion a year and be less susceptible to tax evasion. Not a huge sum of money but it has been suggested that half could go to debt reduction and half to infrastructure projects.

Not a fix all, but a good starting point. The stock market didn't seem to suffer when it was in place before and so many of these small parts of the puzzle have been removed for the financial sector, we don't have much to work with anymore.

What are normal swings? When did they last exist? Aren't all investors speculators if they don't have an inside track?
    $800 swings over two days, repeatedly, is certainly NOT normal. There is a difference between speculators and investors. speculators are in it for the quick buck. It is THEIR activity I would like to see taxed, both through transaction taxes and a sliding cap gains tax. Say, hit them with a transaction tax on investments held less than a year. and start cap gains at 45% for less than a year, sliding down to 10% after 5

There are already short term vs. long term profits and they are taxed at different rates in part to discourage so called speculation. I like the 10% after five year idea. It would be good for buyers of utility stocks. I'm not sure of what it would do to high tech stocks which are riskier investments in a field where there is rapid change. it might starve them of capital.

RE: that pipeline

There is a question of its fouling the Ogallala aquifer, one of the largest aquifer's in the world which we have been pumping out faster than it can replenish itself for decades. Kiss the bread basket goodby if the Ogallala gets sullied..

Someone correct me if I am wrong. The payroll tax cut was extended. The money that was supposed to go into Social Security will not be replaced. I have heard that a small percentage will be added to people taking out loans from Fannie May or Freddie Mac. It is included in the interest rate charged. It was supposed to be used to reimburse SS. Instead it will go into the general fund. So have both parties and the president come to an agreement to let the program go broke? The tax cuts will never be restored. And we all know that the IOU's in the fund are worthless. Have the Dems turned their backs on older people now?

There are already short term vs. long term profits and they are taxed at different rates in part to discourage so called speculation. I like the 10% after five year idea. It would be good for buyers of utility stocks. I'm not sure of what it would do to high tech stocks which are riskier investments in a field where there is rapid change. it might starve them of capital.
    There is a graduated cap gains tax? not really. there are some cap gains taxed at higher rates -- essentially on property that has been depreciated [[25%) which is dome so the seller doesn't get a double tax break, or some small business stock that you hold for 5 years for which you can exclude half the value [[28%).

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    There is a graduated cap gains tax? not really. there are some cap gains taxed at higher rates -- essentially on property that has been depreciated [[25%) which is dome so the seller doesn't get a double tax break, or some small business stock that you hold for 5 years for which you can exclude half the value [[28%).
    You need to acquaint yourself with schedule D parts 1 and 2.

How do you like President Obama's move to cut military pay and benefits? I found a place where Ron Paul will outspend Obama; veteran benefits. A voting booth choice in Michigan tomorrow.

OBAMA TO CUT HEALTHCARE BENEFITS FOR ACTIVE DUTY AND RETIRED US
    MILITARY

RON PAUL ISSUES OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT OBAMA CONCERNING CUTS TO VETERANS’ BENEFITS

You need to acquaint yourself with schedule D parts 1 and 2.
    those simply expand upon the two exceptions I mentioned below.

How do you like President Obama's move to cut military pay and benefits?
    I don't

There are an assortment of capital gains tax rates depending on a variety of circumstances. For example, short term capital gains are taxed at one's ordinary income tax rate. Collectibles are taxed at 28% [[and the IRS argues that gold, silver, etc. should be taxed at this rate). The standard long term capital gains rate is 15% but, depending on your other income and deductions, can be as low 0%. There are numerous IRS rulings on what should be considered a capital gain and how that gain should be taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong. The payroll tax cut was extended. The money that was supposed to go into Social Security will not be replaced. I have heard that a small percentage will be added to people taking out loans from Fannie May or Freddie Mac. It is included in the interest rate charged. It was supposed to be used to reimburse SS. Instead it will go into the general fund. So have both parties and the president come to an agreement to let the program go broke? The tax cuts will never be restored. And we all know that the IOU's in the fund are worthless. Have the Dems turned their backs on older people now?
    No information or opinions ?????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2