Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

A few years back Kwame had a list of about 25-30 dangerous buildings that were to be demoed immediately. One building that sticks out to me was the Don Miller Storage Co Building on West Fort Street. This building is seen when exiting the Ambassador Bridge. The last time I drove by the building was still standing.

Does anyone have a copy of that list? I'm wondering what percentage on the list were actually demoed?

Even if it's difficult or impossible to get every last person to move out of certain areas, getting rid of the abandoned structures will undoubtedly be an improvement. But there are ways I could imagine creating incentives for people to move out of areas slated for depopulation [[e.g., withdraw all city services from certain areas [[yes, I realize that may not be much!), increase property taxes there, or offer them comparable houses in stabilized neighborhoods). It will be interesting to see how Detroit handles this because I am not aware of any city in history that has had to deal with the depopulation issues that Detroit has. Shrinking Detroit might be a sad admission that the city won't be returning to its former glory ever or any time soon, but at least it comes to grips with where Detroit is now and how to best deal with its limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Modusvivendi View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Detroit handles this because I am not aware of any city in history that has had to deal with the depopulation issues that Detroit has.
    There was an interesting segment on 60 minutes last night addressing this specific topic.
    In Cleveland they've demolished 1000 homes this year and have plans to demolish an additional 20,000. Some of the pictures and video they showed were of neighborhoods similar to some of Detroit's with maybe six homes left standing in a ten block area. Quite a few similarities overall.