Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Apparently, we wanted the incinerator back, if this is the same rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Apparently, we wanted the incinerator back, if this is the same rationale.
    Wow thats another damn flip flop by the Duke of Detroit.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www2.metrotimes.com/news/story.asp?id=13662
    Q: Do you think Detroit should continue to send garbage to its waste-to-energy incinerator?
    A: In fiscal year 2007-2008, Detroit residents paid $172/ton for trash disposal – about 5 to 7 times as much as nearby suburbs, and about 14 times what private haulers paid to have their trash burned at the incinerator [[$172/ton versus $12/ton).
    In 2008, the city council voted to end sending our trash to its waste to energy incinerator. I support this action. Detroit can sell materials that are currently going into the incinerator on the global market. The city can not sell what now it burns. That is more money that could be earmarked for our deficit. I have been informed that of the nation's 30 largest cities, Detroit is the only major city without some type of curbside recycling program. While confronting our mounting deficit, I can not promise a city wide curbside recycling program, I would support working with the private and non-profit sectors on pilot programs.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/LightRailNow

I am 100% in favor of the light rail project, and agree with the letter written to the mayor by Cindy Pasky representing more than 100 businesses, but when it comes to the finacial backers of the light rail, I only see a few names. Can these 100 businesses raise another $100 million dollars. I know it's not the $500 million needed, but can it change the minds of some politicians?

I truley hope people get there head out of their asses and get things going in the right direction. Bing talks about getting people from the city to the suburbs. I thought it was supposed to be the other way.

I love Detroit and still hold hope!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2