Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

IMO, Mexico City isn't really a good comparison to any U.S. city because Mexico is still a relatively "poor" country, and the reason most folks take transit is because they can't afford a car.

Their ridership stats are pretty much irrelevent as a basis of comparison, because they're just a barometer of poverty, rather than whether the Metro is efficient or whatever. If there were no Mexico City Metro, you would probably have the exact same ridership, but now riding on buses.

Most of the Latin American cities have very low "choice" riders on their transit. So they have tons of overall ridership, but anyone who can afford a car buys one and chooses to drive. It's an important marker of social status.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Their ridership stats are pretty much irrelevent as a basis of comparison, because they're just a barometer of poverty, rather than whether the Metro is efficient or whatever. If there were no Mexico City Metro, you would probably have the exact same ridership, but now riding on buses.

Most of the Latin American cities have very low "choice" riders on their transit. So they have tons of overall ridership, but anyone who can afford a car buys one and chooses to drive. It's an important marker of social status.
    People in Mexico City have access to a great, clean and efficient transport system, plus traditional buses, the new metro buses, peseros [[small buses) and thousands of taxis. It is a great example of how transport gives hope and mobility to millions of people. Mexico City resident Carlos Slim [[the richest man in the world) doesn't take the metro, I can assure you, but to discount ridership stats as "irrelevant" because the are poor are using it is a bit naive. Mexico City is a mega, alpha city working on amazingly mind bending levels. All cities can learn from Mexico City and find relevant comparaisons because it sits on the extremes of everything. There is a great diverse class of people taking El Metro and very similar to the same class taking the subway in New York or the tube in London, just on a vaster scale, covering many diverse neighborhoods just depending on the particular line and the neighborhood the metro is passing.

Quote Originally Posted by mpow View Post
    There is a great diverse class of people taking El Metro and very similar to the same class taking the subway in New York or the tube in London, just on a vaster scale, covering many diverse neighborhoods just depending on the particular line and the neighborhood the metro is passing.
    This isn't true, and this was the distinction I was getting at.

Latin American cities are much more class-oriented than, say, European or U.S./Canadian cities, and transit choice is indicative of these divisions.

Generally speaking, the middle and upper classes don't ride transit in Mexico City. Excepting one stop in one neighborhood close to downtown [[Polanco), there are no subway lines in any of the wealthier neighborhoods or major business centers. None whatsoever.

Also, none of the BRT lines go to wealthy neighborhoods or business centers.

So, yes, Mexico City has excellent transit, but the usage is very distinct from, say, London, Paris, or NYC. It's a system that serves the poor, and the system coverage prevents usage from others.

The most important and exclusive business and shopping destination is called Santa Fe. There is no Metro line or BRT line within 10 miles of Santa Fe.

BTW, I lived in Mexico City for a semester in college. I know the neighborhoods very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This isn't true, and this was the distinction I was getting at.

Latin American cities are much more class-oriented than, say, European or U.S./Canadian cities, and transit choice is indicative of these divisions.

Generally speaking, the middle and upper classes don't ride transit in Mexico City. Excepting one stop in one neighborhood close to downtown [[Polanco), there are no subway lines in any of the wealthier neighborhoods or major business centers. None whatsoever.

Also, none of the BRT lines go to wealthy neighborhoods or business centers.

So, yes, Mexico City has excellent transit, but the usage is very distinct from, say, London, Paris, or NYC. It's a system that serves the poor, and the system coverage prevents usage from others.

The most important and exclusive business and shopping destination is called Santa Fe. There is no Metro line or BRT line within 10 miles of Santa Fe.

BTW, I lived in Mexico City for a semester in college. I know the neighborhoods very well.
    Serving only the poor plus that student who once lived for a semester in Mexico City.

Besides Polanco, which features not one, but at least three stations, neighborhoods that El Metro passes with some very stable "affluent" neighborhoods: San Angel, Narvarte, La Condesa, La Colonia Roma, Coyoacan, the recently gentrified Centro Historico, Colonia Del Valle--plus a whole slew of middle, upper middle class neighborhoods too numerous to mention.

Actually, the very poor "slum" areas in Mexico City, most recently places like Ecatepec, don't even have El Metro. I think the public transportation that represents the poorest classes in Mexcio City would be pesero and combi rides. The subway in Latin American countries symbolizes progress and social mobility, not poverty. The very poor have nothing and very few options.

I think your confusion is your interpretation and not knowing what is "poor" in Mexico. Because people can be very poor here. There is a large mobile class that drive, take the metro, taxis and mix it up quite a bit. Making generalizations is not the answer.

For me El Metro means urbanity, mobility, "middle class" not the poor.
    Last edited by mpow; December-23-11 at 09:25 PM.