Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I love the line the reporter mutters, "in the wake of this tragedy the Detroit Fire department is warning people that scrapping is a dangerous way to make a living" like pilfering pipes out of someone elses property is a legitimate gig.

Now lets go fell some 36" I beams 3 stories up in a skywalk.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    I love the line the reporter mutters, "in the wake of this tragedy the Detroit Fire department is warning people that scrapping is a dangerous way to make a living" like pilfering pipes out of someone elses property is a legitimate gig.

Now lets go fell some 36" I beams 3 stories up in a skywalk.
    It's a very real job in a city without many legitimate jobs, and a region without reliable options to get to where the jobs actually are. I'm as sick of scrappers as the next guy, but lets not pretend this is done in a vacuum and for no reason or that your average scrapper is getting rich off of this dangerous task. These folks ended up paying a price far more expensive than any court could order; they paid with their lives, so I'm not going to add insult to injury, or insult to death more literally.
    Last edited by Dexlin; December-15-11 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    It's a very real job in a city without many legitimate jobs, and a region without reliable options to get to where the jobs actually are. I'm as sick of scrappers as the next guy, but lets not pretend this is done in a vacuum and for no reason or that your average scrapper is getting rich off of this dangerous task. These folks ended up paying a price far more expensive than any court could order; they paid with their lives, so I'm not going to add insult to injury, or insult to death more literally.
    Agreed. I think about what it would take to get me to do these things to provide for my family and I can't help but feel horrible for the people forced into these "jobs".

Don't get me wrong: you have nobody to blame but yourself when you get caught doing something illegal...but that doesn't mean I think they should be killed.

If a building is totally dangerous abandoned TEAR IT DOWN! covering up the doors and windows is not going to work!

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Agreed. I think about what it would take to get me to do these things to provide for my family and I can't help but feel horrible for the people forced into these "jobs".

Don't get me wrong: you have nobody to blame but yourself when you get caught doing something illegal...but that doesn't mean I think they should be killed.
    You're incredibly naive to think that they're scrapping "to provide for their families". They're scrapping to provide for their drug/alcohol habits, not to buy beans and rice.

The guy across the street from me scrapped when he was outta work. I would have taken the scrap in myself, But I have a job. He got back to work and people on the block kept putting scrap in his truck. He'd be out every garbage night getting the scrap. Now I have done that too, But I ain't about to go into some building and start cutting away at steel beams. Guess people do what they feel he need do.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    You're incredibly naive to think that they're scrapping "to provide for their families". They're scrapping to provide for their drug/alcohol habits, not to buy beans and rice.
    And all poor people are lazy. Thanks, Newt.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    And all poor people are lazy. Thanks, Newt.
    <<<<This

You can tell the long employed, slightly brain washed right wingers. They haven't had to pay attention to reality for a long time.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I'll take "incredibly naive" over "judgmental toward folks you don't even know" any day, all day.