Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Cornices restored. Not quite as grand as the original, but a lot better than whatever that attempt at modernism was.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-years-ago.php

Thanks for sharing!

Question: will the the building be open to the People Mover stop now?

Yep. I believe Curbed also reported on that.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...on-reunite.php

god they did a hell of a job restoring this thing. can't wait until it's lit up and open for business.

it'll be nice to see the building lit up at night and an active part of the skyline in GCP

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Yep. I believe Curbed also reported on that.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...on-reunite.php
    Thanks! GIYF

Update Images:
    Dec. 1, 2014
    Lions Installed building fully cleaned:

I guess we'll see what the demand is for a boutique hotel in Detroit. I just plugged in Jan. 22 for my next visit and the rate is 209.00. Right below it on the Westin site is the Book Cadillac at 149. Which would you choose?

drove down woodward this afternoon and the building looks incredible. the two davids are going to make for quite an entrance to the lower woodward corridor. im still keeping my fingers crossed that the quality and success of this development will persuade the developers of the statler site to up their game a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I guess we'll see what the demand is for a boutique hotel in Detroit. I just plugged in Jan. 22 for my next visit and the rate is 209.00. Right below it on the Westin site is the Book Cadillac at 149. Which would you choose?
    Judging by online photos, Book Cadillac seems roomier. Although the Whitney seems to have a better location in terms of walking distance to retail and venues. If I was being frugal I'd probably go with Book Cadillac.

Sometimes you don't realize how dirty something is until after it's cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    drove down woodward this afternoon and the building looks incredible. the two davids are going to make for quite an entrance to the lower woodward corridor. im still keeping my fingers crossed that the quality and success of this development will persuade the developers of the statler site to up their game a bit.
    Nicely put. To think that just four years ago those were dismal twin towers hulking over the entrance to a gloomy downtown dead zone.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I would prefer the Whitney. It is in a livelier setting. It is a pleasant walk across Grand Circus Park to a Tiger or Lions ball game or to the Opera or up the street to the Fox. It has a people mover stop giving it a great all weather access to key downtown locations. Autoshow in winter blizzard? Leave your jacket home. Other than a short walk to Campus Martius there isn't much happening outside the doors of the Cadillac. Hopefully Capitol Park will take off and change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I would prefer the Whitney. It is in a livelier setting. It is a pleasant walk across Grand Circus Park to a Tiger or Lions ball game or to the Opera or up the street to the Fox. It has a people mover stop giving it a great all weather access to key downtown locations. Autoshow in winter blizzard? Leave your jacket home. Other than a short walk to Campus Martius there isn't much happening outside the doors of the Cadillac. Hopefully Capitol Park will take off and change that.

plus it will also have an M1 rail stop about 5 steps away from the front door... hello easy access to the DIA [[among many other museums), restaurants, retail, and everything else midtown and new center have to offer...

i'm starting to think the people that invested in the whitney are going to be quite a bit richer very soon

Would have never thought that the BC would have cheaper rooms than a "boutique" hotel. Price not being an object, I'd stay at the Whitney. The views facing downtown are most likely incredible and it's right on Woodward. Now if only that Light Rail line could swoop me up and take me 1.4 miles away....

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Cornices restored. Not quite as grand as the original, but a lot better than whatever that attempt at modernism was.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-years-ago.php

Well I think it is kinda obvious they are not done yet. Still gotta finish the area above the lions.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Would have never thought that the BC would have cheaper rooms than a "boutique" hotel. Price not being an object, I'd stay at the Whitney. The views facing downtown are most likely incredible and it's right on Woodward. Now if only that Light Rail line could swoop me up and take me 1.4 miles away....
    That's assuming you get a room facing outward.... aren't something like 40% of the rooms facing the lightwell on the interior of the building? Ditto for the apartment floors.... I would hate to have nothing more than a lightwell to look upon....

At least every room in the BC has an exterior view.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-02-14 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That's assuming you get a room facing outward.... aren't something like 40% of the rooms facing the lightwell on the interior of the building? Ditto for the apartment floors.... I would hate to have nothing more than a lightwell to look upon....

At least every room in the BC has an exterior view.

Note that the Hotel is Floors 3 thru 9.

25 of 136 Hotel Rooms are Facing the Lightwell which occur on Floors 5 thru 9.

View 100 Years Ago from the 18th Floor Apartment
    Name:  old.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  47.9 KB

View from 18th Floor Current Day
    Attachment 25066

I haven't really done much walking around just looking since the weather turned... Today I made a point to bundle up and walk over and take a look because of this thread. Well worth the trip, another complete conversion from a tired old vacant look to....jaw dropping.

A few more updates from today...

The Whitney's new name, Aloft Hotel is on the south side but seems to be a bit obscure.

The front door is now unsealed from the fabric fence construction cage that enclosed it. The sliding doors are a deviance from days of old....

... as are the faux limestone cornices.

Yeah I think the "restoration" was overstated. I think it'd be more accurate to say that the facade was repaired, and that what was once there was approximated with a minimum of intervention. You can compare with the original here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lerDetroit.jpg I know the project was expensive as-is, but when they had made their big claims, and when large areas of brick were being removed I had gotten my hopes up. And the lobby is one of the nicest downtown.

A bunch of newly remodeled residences in the down town area is always a good thing. They get rented to tax payers who pay for city services, the more the better, there is a tipping point and we want to find it. Can't wait to see the lobby, it's going to be incredible!

I was hoping for the cool oldschool revolving door for the entrance, but oh well.

And does it REALLY matter that the cornices are faux limestone instead of the real deal? Can you tell the difference from the ground????

Can anyone just walk in there now? Or is that still a couple weeks away?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast