Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Name:  Screenshot 2014-12-04 at 11.09.05 AM.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  11.7 KB It's on TripAdvisor now, too!

Passed by it today... Grand Cirque Brasserie ads on window, and you can clearly see straight into the lobby- awesome! Light up circular desk, covers off of the doors, and passing by on Washington, you could see the wxyz sign for the new bar. Going to be a great hotel, also, they'll have a facade lighting on Monday [[12/15/14) at 4:30 pm.
    Last edited by jw101; December-15-14 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Hopefully the Broderick will learn a thing from this lighting. Heck, hopefully they also learn how to actually open ground floor retail...

This is great news thanks for sharing. I'll be looking from my office window.
    thanks for posting.

Hehehe... maybe one of those spotlights should be aimed across the park over to the forlorn Fine Arts Buiding facade... and highlight how the Ilitch's are still doing nothing with it....

The exterior lighting looks fantastic! Name:  IMG_1683.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  62.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    The exterior lighting looks fantastic!
    Yes, it does look fantastic!

I friend and I walked over this evening to see it and while there we were able to go into the lobby. It's breath-taking! When you go make sure you see the small foyer for the Woodward entrance. You won't be disappointed.

Those pictures look incredible. Now if only the Broderick would follow in line and add some lighting to its exterior. That's be one hell of an entrance into the CBD on Woodwarad.

Name:  -e8472fd0d154d08f.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  53.4 KB

this picture from MLive really shows how much they're putting the broderick to shame with the lighting. really hope they follow suit

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Name:  -e8472fd0d154d08f.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  53.4 KB

this picture from MLive really shows how much they're putting the broderick to shame with the lighting. really hope they follow suit
    Maybe long dead painter Georgia O'Keefe could give the Broderick folks some tips on lighting up their building....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sounds like today's opening has been delayed. http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...bury/20564489/ that's weird, I thought it was open after the lighting ceremony?

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Sounds like today's opening has been delayed. http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...bury/20564489/ that's weird, I thought it was open after the lighting ceremony?
    Boo. I was planning on walking over to check it out at lunch.

If anybody hears about when it'll be open to anybody please let us know.

They don't build them like this anymore! Name:  IMG_3334.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  60.2 KB

Wait, so it is open? I'm so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Wait, so it is open? I'm so confused.
    The bar is open and they will be accepting over night guests very soon.

Thanks for the pictures. What does the WXYZ in the bar scene signify? The atrium is epitome of elegance. The colors other than the dashes of color seem a bit somber.

If I can be nit-picky, I have mixed feelings about the decor. The modern decor and the historical architecture don't seem to clash, but I don't get a sense of classiness from this hotel like some other Detroit hotels. The David Whitney Building's features look spectacular. But the Aloft hotel portion kind of just looks like a snippet of IKEA. Certainly the developers had nothing to do with the hotel's decor, but I feel like a better hotel brand could better compliment Whitney's grandiose features. In practical terms, it probably won't affect the profitability of the hotel/building at all but it just doesn't seem like it's full potential, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    If I can be nit-picky, I have mixed feelings about the decor. The modern decor and the historical architecture don't seem to clash, but I don't get a sense of classiness from this hotel like some other Detroit hotels. The David Whitney Building's features look spectacular. But the Aloft hotel portion kind of just looks like a snippet of IKEA. Certainly the developers had nothing to do with the hotel's decor, but I feel like a better hotel brand could better compliment Whitney's grandiose features. In practical terms, it probably won't affect the profitability of the hotel/building at all but it just doesn't seem like it's full potential, imo.
    Aloft is an interesting brand. They like to redevelop historical buildings with modern decor, like this in Liverpool: Name:  aloft2.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  45.7 KB

Yea, their website seems to give the impression that their target demographic are trendy 18-35 year olds who are traveling the world between college classes. Not a bad brand, but not my cup of tea for historical properties.

Wait...if the bar is open...does that mean anybody can now just walk into the lobby? Really want to see it in person.

I have stayed at the A Lofts in NYC and Charlotte; very trendy hotels. I know where I wll try to book a room in Detroit on my next visit.

Great pics, jw101, I am sold. Gorgeous!

it is open to the public. here is a shot i nabbed walking through friday evening.

Name:  DSC_5092.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  44.0 KB

Makes me dizzy. LOL!

Good shot, southen. Did you use a tripod? It looks very carefully staged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Makes me dizzy. LOL!

Good shot, southen. Did you use a tripod? It looks very carefully staged.
    nope just a super wide angle lens. im anal when it comes to symmetry and perspective so i tried to get it right in cam then tweaked it slightly in photoshop.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast