I am new on this site.

My interest in Detroit auto makers peaked when I bought a restored 1954 Packard Cavalier a couple of months ago and I wanted to tour the Packard factory by web.

I was aware the Packard building complex was the largest abandoned building in Detroit.

I wanted to see where the cars were made and did do the Google Earth street view tour of the expansive factory.

Questions arise:

There is talk of a Detroit auto factory mapping project, I would like to see this if it exists.

I wondered how Packard chassis components came together with bodies from the Briggs Body factory, reported to have been on Connor Street for my 1954 Packard.

I find almost nothing on the web about Briggs although Chrysler apparently bought all of the Briggs, Murray LaBaron operations in the mid 1950’s and leased the Connor street plant to back to Packard.

I am aware that may components used in auto manufacturing were used by all of the various name plates such as steering [[Gemmer), Brakes [[Bendix), Electrical [[Delco) and so on all made in the USA with USA labor. I would be interesting to know if these factory buildings still exist and haven’t been destroyed.

It is sad to me to see the state of ruin to the Packard Building.

More questions:

Was the Terracotta main entrance preserved?
Was any of the original manufacturing machinery intact in the past ten years? I gather the building complex was re-purposed after Packard moved out in 1956 although it appears the big destruction was ramped up in about 2009.

Jim