Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

LOL! And I can tolerate that.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    And you fell for it.

I talked smack and you got your thong in a twist. That is what smack talk is all about. That is why one should never fall for the feint.

The art of the smack is to take a small truth and exploit it. What I did was use a question you asked on another thread and used it to pick a sore point.

You slapped back. That is a lesson in smack talk. How it gets people off their game. That is Jared Allen is doing to entire Metro region. He is taking a known sore point and enflaming our passions thereby making us look silly.

Never fall for the feint. It means nothing. It is a tool. Allen is expert at using that tool.

Nothing personal intended towards you, just an illustrative example of the use of smack talk.
    That explains a lot. Ravine covers his back.

Why can't you guys just be honest brokers? Why are you so offensive/defensive—deceptive?

Is it that you want to be distrusted? Why set traps?

Why can't we all be on the same team?

And you fell for it.
    This is a confession of intent to deceive.
    We should pay attention to anything you say after...?
    Indeed.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-11-11 at 01:51 AM.

This message is hidden because gnome is on your ignore list.

Please tempt me, Ravine.

And you fell for it.

I talked smack and you got your thong in a twist. That is what smack talk is all about. That is why one should never fall for the feint.

The art of the smack is to take a small truth and exploit it. What I did was use a question you asked on another thread and used it to pick a sore point.

You slapped back. That is a lesson in smack talk. How it gets people off their game. That is Jared Allen is doing to entire Metro region. He is taking a known sore point and enflaming our passions thereby making us look silly.

Never fall for the feint. It means nothing. It is a tool. Allen is expert at using that tool.

Nothing personal intended towards you, just an illustrative example of the use of smack talk.
    I don't have a problem with Allen's trash talk. He didn't say anything that was nearly as offensive or racist as the standard Detroit story that the national media spews out on a regular basis.

Allen said that he doesn't like Detroit because there is snow the ground and gloomy skies every time he comes here [[in the middle of winter). He also said that he is depressed by all of the brownstones in Detroit, which does't make any sense on a number of different levels, but whatever.

I am a proud citizen of Detroit, a staunch defender of our city, and I don't think that Allen said anything that was really that offensive. I am very offended when the news media promotes lies claiming that Detroit doesn't have grocery stores, or when they insinuate that downtown Detroit is overwhelmed by block after block of vacant buildings, or when they suggest that Detroiters have to resort to raccoon hunting to get by...

Occurrence Guest

Jared Allen has it all wrong. Detroit is a depressing dump because of it's economic/political climate and it's inability to get anything done, not because of the weather. Minnesota has worse weather than here. He's an idiot.

13074 Glenfield.....your are completely right! Winters here in Minnesota are much more enjoyable, even though we do get colder than Michigan. Here in west central Minnesota, we have relatively NO snow... a couple inches back in October, and a few flakes here and there since. NO snow on my lawn, but the lakes are forming ice for ice fishing. 28 degrees here at about 8 a.m. We had below zero temps a couple nights ago. I will be outdoors for an extended period today, and actually am wearing a light pullover sweater instead of my normal t-shirt. I rarely wear a jacket in the winter, even when it is below zero, although I DO carry one in the truck just in case of a breakdown or get stranded on snow blocked roads.

Grumpyoldlady, I'm also in Minnesota, and when I looked at the the thermometer in the window this morning, and when I saw it was 33F, I thought, "Oh, man, it's gonna be a hot one today." :-)

bartock Guest

Gunther Cunningham knows how to give it back. From the Freephttp://www.freep.com/article/2011120...036/1048/rss03:

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham spent four seasons with Jared Allen in Kansas City and knows the Minnesota Vikings defensive end well.

So what did Cunningham make of Allen’s comments Wednesday ripping on Detroit?

“He’s not good enough to live here,” Cunningham said today. “I know him well, he should go back to California, Los Gatos, where all those nice people live. This is too tough of a town for him.”

Allen said in a Twin Cities radio interview that he doesn’t like making road trips to Detroit.

“It’s gloomy, it sucks, everything’s brown, there’s snow on the ground,” Allen said. “There’s like brownstones everywhere and I’m like, ‘Awesome.’ I don’t know, I couldn’t do it. If I had to live in Detroit I think I’d just drown myself in the river that was across the way.”
    Said Cunningham, “He’s an outstanding player. I love the guy. He plays great and he has great quotes for you all and they’re good for the fans to read. If I were him though, in the streets I’ve driven down, I’ve made some wrong turns in town and for me, I got stopped one day and I looked out the window and they all yelled, ‘Hey Coach. How are you?’ I went out and signed autographs. Jared, if you come to town, good luck. You’re not going to get to sign autographs.”

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/M19187419.JPG

Looks like the Lions benefited from a missed call.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This message is hidden because gnome is on your ignore list.

Please tempt me, Ravine.
    Oh, got a thing for double order of furry leg with a side of busted veins, do you?

What the fuck. How did I end up with my name in this thread?

My only weekend in Minneapolis was the weekend after Halloween. The high that weekend was 17 f. No wonder they have all of those anti-urban ped bridges downtown.

This message is hidden because Ravine is on your ignore list.

Thanks, Ravine.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-12-11 at 12:03 AM.

Ravine Guest

So, I suppose the next-best-thing I can do, here, is to inform everyone else that you are welcome.

Red Beans & Christ, even I know that an internet forum is no place to be so goddam sensitive.

Ravine Guest

Hhmm.
    I come nowhere near this thread, and my name is invoked.
    Thusly conjured, I arrive at the scene, and everyone leaves.
    This odd thing may not indicate a talent, on my part; certainly, it does not rival Roq's ability to cause yellow paint to appear all over the city, but it's a start.
    Maybe I really can make a difference.
    I feel so... bloated with significance.
    I'm The Man.

Yes, you are The Man.

The baddassiest mofo from Bhutan.

No one dares to tangle with Benzene Ravine.

He's the slickest Thread-Killer twas ever seen.

He'll light 'em up like a monk in yellow

He'll choose his words from mellow to bellow

To eviscerate those who tempt to trod

Only to be hoisted by their own petard

Ravine Guest

You are too kind, Good Sir.

I am proud 'neath heated brow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2