Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The city should come up with a creative plan for the building instead of razing it. The building could be saved. The area is barren but that doesnt mean that the building can't be used for other purposes such as a unique Barnes & Noble bookstore that has an historic flare. The area will be redevelope. Grosse Pointe is only a couple of blocks east of the building. I wish that the library could stay. I don't have faith in the shortsighted leaders and planners who are employed by us taxpayers in this city. A developer such as Tony Goldman or womeone with the same mindset and idea would know what to do with the building. The upstairs of the building could be used for book signing, recitals, small concerts* the same held at the DIA on friday evenings) or other type of performances and events. The mayor, council, and other officials, elected or selected, had proven that they are incompetent when it comes to vision and ideas for the use of these historical buildings in Detroit. They would rather save a dilapidated structure owned by Matty Moroun or someone but not willing to sell other, excellent conditioned vacant buildings to those who want to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The city should come up with a creative plan for the building instead of razing it. The building could be saved. The area is barren but that doesnt mean that the building can't be used for other purposes such as a unique Barnes & Noble bookstore that has an historic flare. The area will be redevelope. Grosse Pointe is only a couple of blocks east of the building. I wish that the library could stay. I don't have faith in the shortsighted leaders and planners who are employed by us taxpayers in this city. A developer such as Tony Goldman or womeone with the same mindset and idea would know what to do with the building. The upstairs of the building could be used for book signing, recitals, small concerts* the same held at the DIA on friday evenings) or other type of performances and events. The mayor, council, and other officials, elected or selected, had proven that they are incompetent when it comes to vision and ideas for the use of these historical buildings in Detroit. They would rather save a dilapidated structure owned by Matty Moroun or someone but not willing to sell other, excellent conditioned vacant buildings to those who want to buy them.
    This. It is so frustrating that a building like the GAR, as an example, can be shuttered for so long without someone finding a positive use for it.

Surely there is someone or some company out there that this library [[and others, the HP library comes to mind) can be purchased during the process of decommissioning before it's vacant for too long and the scrappers move in?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    This. It is so frustrating that a building like the GAR, as an example, can be shuttered for so long without someone finding a positive use for it.

Surely there is someone or some company out there that this library [[and others, the HP library comes to mind) can be purchased during the process of decommissioning before it's vacant for too long and the scrappers move in?

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...3-GAR-Building
    Last edited by mikefmich; December-13-11 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Mike, I'm aware of the new progress. My point is that building has been vacant for over 20 years, it makes no sense to me with its proximity to downtown, achitecture and history. One among the many.

From today's Detroit News

"The Friends of the Monteith Library will announce today that the branch on Kercheval will reopen next month.
    The Monteith, Lincoln, Mark Twain and Richard branches were put on the closure list in December. The group convinced library commissioners it had the right plan to deliver services better.
    A task force has been formed to evaluate library needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2