Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
http://www.freep.com/article/2011120...|Entertainment

The bad news is that the 29,000 sq. ft. building IS for sale... on a church real estate website.

FYI.... just how big is a 29,000 sq. ft. theatre [[assuming that includes lobby and circulation space)? The main floor seating section of the Fox Theatre auditorium is 46,000 sq. ft.

The tour I'm on right now just rolled through Harpos and while it's not in the worst shape I've seen it, the staff there is amongst the most sad/over it bunch of house employees I've ever seen touring the US. They're all rather fed up with Ernie [[the main promoter of the building) and his old policies.

The interior has its moments of being scuzzy [[the bathrooms are notorious for being the worst in the city's plethora of theaters), but two weeks ago it was fine and pleasant the whole night. It's fairly clean in the lobby and honestly it's definitely bigger than 29,000 sq. feet. It's easily on par with the length of the main floor of the state theater to the lobby doors. The lobby is fairly tall and EXTREMELY art-deco complete with American flags amongst other things. It's very dated! But the lobby and the bathrooms are basically the only original details left. Apparently the lighted [[Think Saturday Night Fever) dance floor is the last of its kind in the US.

Its definitely worth checking out the lobby for a lesson in late 1930's architecture. Other than that, the PA is shot, the console is shot, the lighting console is shot, the monitor console is shot, the monitors are shot. Everything else is fairly sturdy I'd hate to see it burn down because it could be a great club again [[it's not bad now, its just got a really bad reputation it can't shake...like Detroit).