Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I was at the Cadieux Cafe[[not your downtown/midtown crowd) this evening and asked the same question especially to the younger patrons and suprisingly almost everyone knew where the areas in question are. And when did historic preservation come into this, its about local knowledge. Although through the efforts of those before us we do have some of our priceless heritage saved to have this discussion. As for that particular 7-Eleven I doubt most of the patrons could not find their way back to their cars let alone make their way past 9 Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I was at the Cadieux Cafe[[not your downtown/midtown crowd) this evening and asked the same question especially to the younger patrons and suprisingly almost everyone knew where the areas in question are. And when did historic preservation come into this, its about local knowledge. Although through the efforts of those before us we do have some of our priceless heritage saved to have this discussion. As for that particular 7-Eleven I doubt most of the patrons could not find their way back to their cars let alone make their way past 9 Mile.
    Perhaps you should have also stopped at one of the 4 gas stations on the corner of Cadieux and Harper... they would likely have the same reaction as the 7-Eleven crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Perhaps you should have also stopped at one of the 4 gas stations on the corner of Cadieux and Harper... they would likely have the same reaction as the 7-Eleven crowd.
    I never use the Cadieux entrance/exit either I use 7 Mile if I am going east and the Whittier entrance if I am going west so I will leave that job up to you if you are interested.

I never use the Cadieux entrance/exit either I use 7 Mile if I am going east and the Whittier entrance if I am going west so I will leave that job up to you if you are interested.
    It's rather pointless argument anyway.... I give tours of Detroit, either via bus tours, or Preservation Wayne walking tours, so my perspectives are based on the folks I've dealt with [[metro Detroit, outstate, US/Canada and from Europe)... your perspective is based on who you've dealt with.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-06-11 at 02:10 AM.

It's rather pointless argument anyway.... I give tours of Detroit, either via bus tours, or Preservation Wayne walking tours, so my perspectives are based on the folks I've dealt with [[metro Detroit, outstate, US/Canada and from Europe)... your perspective is based on who you've dealt with.
    Yes it is rather pointless you seem to be that snob preservationist who knows more than they actually do. I have found more information on the city from its residents than most convention research sites. As for tours I have read many of your notes here and I could give you a real tour of the city not just the preprogrammed tours offered by the local groups, and I also have a worldwide following who enjoy my personalized tours of the city.

Yes it is rather pointless you seem to be that snob preservationist who knows more than they actually do. I have found more information on the city from its residents than most convention research sites. As for tours I have read many of your notes here and I could give you a real tour of the city not just the preprogrammed tours offered by the local groups, and I also have a worldwide following who enjoy my personalized tours of the city.
    Soooo... you're the guy that gives some publicized tours of Detroit.... you're very highly regarded, I'm sure... I hear your giving an "old German Clubs of Detroit" tour. But do be tolerant of elderly suburban Detroit Germans going on your tour... they [[like the 7-Eleven crowd) won't know what "Boston-Edison" is...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-06-11 at 12:27 PM.

Soooo... you're the guy that gives some publicized tours of Detroit.... you're very highly regarded, I'm sure... I hear your giving an "old German Clubs of Detroit" tour. But do be tolerant of elderly suburban Detroit Germans going on your tour... they [[like the 7-Eleven crowd) won't know what "Boston-Edison" is...
    No but the Little Cafe was one of my favorite places to eat back in the day. While my tours on not publicized they routinely include family members of Louis Kamper, Robert Derrick, C. Howard Crane, and Henry Meier, as well as family members of the homes as part of the tour. I can play one up with you all day if you want since you want to always have the last word!