Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPencil View Post
    If the author is racist is irrelevant and claiming so in nothing more than a logical fallacy.
    Most every high school & college kid I know [[other than home schoolers) can't even write a coherent sentence.
    The irony is burning holes in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Homosexuality used to be in the DSM, too, but hey, even academics and mass media types have to earn paychecks.
    Must be nice living in a black & white world, but when you take off the blinders maybe you'll see that type of thinking is doing nothing to help our situation.

If the author is racist is irrelevant and claiming so in nothing more than a logical fallacy.

As lilpup & Group have stated, quit with the petty griping and refute the letter. Most every high school & college kid I know [[other than home schoolers) can't even write a coherent sentence. And many of these kids are coming from top rated schools. I know Detroit has higher drop out rates, higher illiteracy rates, higher crime rates, etc. I know Detroit has a lousy school system. As far as I know, everything stated in that letter could be true.

Way too often people cry racism instead of facing the facts. If the guys statistics are true, deal with it and quit trying to claim victim status. If not true, prove it and show the writer to be the fool he is.
    Racism is a petty issue?

Ravine Guest

I think S.P. is implying that the discussion, here, has become petty, and I would agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I think S.P. is implying that the discussion, here, has become petty, and I would agree with that.
    I agree with that, but I'd probably extend it to almost every single argument that takes place online.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I agree with that, but I'd probably extend it to almost every single argument that takes place online.
    The reason for that, here, is that the discourse is open, but seldom open-minded.

If one sees a thing as being a certain way, and no amount of input will give one pause to consider a different view, I don't see why one would continue to return to a thread after stating one's point.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Must be nice living in a black & white world, but when you take off the blinders maybe you'll see that type of thinking is doing nothing to help our situation.
    My world is not black & white at all. I've been here allowing for alternative possibilities while most others are adamant about their interpretation [[yet unwilling to specifically defend it).

And Slippery Pencil has misinterpreted my stance [[and Goose's, too, I believe). I do not agree with the contents of the letter.

The reason for that, here, is that the discourse is open, but seldom open-minded.

If one sees a thing as being a certain way, and no amount of input will give one pause to consider a different view, I don't see why one would continue to return to a thread after stating one's point.
    Morbid curiosity? Masochism?

This. Ravine is right on the money. It's why I gave up on this thread days ago.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    This. Ravine is right on the money. It's why I gave up on this thread days ago.
    and yet you didn't

and yet you didn't
    The irony is burning holes in my brain.

You have a brain? Really?

You know what I meant. I could have engaged fully and didn't. Checking in and seeing that typical posters were, indeed, acting typically isn't the same as arguing with certain folks about what is, and is not, racist.

And Slippery Pencil has misinterpreted my stance [[and Goose's, too, I believe). I do not agree with the contents of the letter.
    I never stated anyone agreed with the letter. I'm just telling those claiming racism to stop relying on logical fallacies and refute the man's points. An outsider could glance at the state of Detroit & DPS compare it to better off cities and schools and conclude the letter is correct. If the man's a racist is irrelevant to the truth or falsehood of his claim.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5