Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Not to mention, a lot of Atlanta residents are transplanted Detroiters.
    There are a ton of us here. Atlanta overall.. sucks compared to Detroit. Trust me, the grass is not greener here.

We have many similar problems here as there are in Detroit, with 10% unemployment, [[higher in the city), a very depressed housing market, etc. Atlanta is no mecca for anything, and it is generic to a fault. Chains and franchises rule the scene, for everything. There are some very good things about this city, but don't get the idea that it is some great, progressive city, and light years ahead of Detroit. If I could define it with one word, that would be 'stalled'..

On top of all that, it is the heart of the SEC.. try living amongst those assholes .. it's hell on earth.

Atlanta.. I like it enough, but it's not 'great'.

Quote Originally Posted by atl_runner View Post
    There are a ton of us here. Atlanta overall.. sucks compared to Detroit. Trust me, the grass is not greener here.

We have many similar problems here as there are in Detroit, with 10% unemployment, [[higher in the city), a very depressed housing market, etc. Atlanta is no mecca for anything, and it is generic to a fault. Chains and franchises rule the scene, for everything. There are some very good things about this city, but don't get the idea that it is some great, progressive city, and light years ahead of Detroit. If I could define it with one word, that would be 'stalled'..

Atlanta--both city and suburbs--is a collection of buildings that fell from outer space and landed in randomly-selected locations, tied together with swaths of vertigo-inducing freeway. There's no "there" there.

I have always commented that Atlanta is the ultimate triumph of PR and marketing over reality.

On top of all that, it is the heart of the SEC.. try living amongst those assholes .. it's hell on earth.

Agreed on all points, especially the SEC. I spent my undergrad years in that region of the South and spent many of my school breaks among transplanted Detroiters in Atlanta. That was back in the 1990s during the lead-up to the Olympics. Atlanta was at its peak then, and I still don't really care to live there.

Today, everyone in Detroit talks about moving to North Carolina and Texas. I don't hear about Atlanta or Georgia nearly as much anymore.

As mentioned earlier, I have a lot of friends that moved there from Detroit, as well as a few relatives. I was there last summer visiting in Conyers GA a suburb, and what amazed me was you had to drive about a hour to get to Alpharetta [[another burb) It's like that each destination. Everything is so spread out. I actually got tired driving from one spot to another. I guess some people enjoy it, but it's too much driving for me.

I hate driving down there at that thing called a freeway that runs down the middle of ATL to Buckhead etc. [[410?). Oye, everyone is doing either 90 or 30 and the ones doing 30 mph are those lost and soon to be run over... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    As mentioned earlier, I have a lot of friends that moved there from Detroit, as well as a few relatives. I was there last summer visiting in Conyers GA a suburb, and what amazed me was you had to drive about a hour to get to Alpharetta [[another burb) It's like that each destination. Everything is so spread out. I actually got tired driving from one spot to another. I guess some people enjoy it, but it's too much driving for me.