Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks CassTechGrad- my dad was a Cass Tech Grad himself. Does that map show where the intersection of 2nd and High would have been?

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Based on the information in the picture below, was the diamond facing the same direction at both Bennett Park and Navin Field? I’m confused.
    In Bennett Park home plate was in the corner closest to Michigan and Trumbull and the field faced northwest. When Navin Field was built on the site in 1912 the field orientation was changed, with home plate moved into the corner by Michigan and National [[later Cochrane), where left field had been in Bennett Park, and the field facing northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I'm glad to see the there's a small strip of Hastings left. Had East and West Vermor ever connected or came close to one another
    High St. was renamed as Vernor in the early 1920s, when Vernor Highway was created as a crosstown auto route out of mostly pre-existing streets. It ran from Gratiot to Michigan and linked together what are now the disconnected pieces of E. Vernor and W.Vernor, until it was torn out to build the Fisher Freeway [[I-75) in the late 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by xdet View Post
    My grandparents lived on High Street while grandpa was Charles Gauss's chauffeur, here's the 1920 Census. So I wonder where this address would be today...or was that all torn down?
    Very nice pictures and family history. 135 W. High St., which was on the south side of the street between Cass and Second, became 489 W. Vernor in the early 1920s. The house was still standing at the time of the last map I have access to, around 1950. But if it stood into the late 1960s, then it would have been torn down to make way for the I-75 [[Fisher) Freeway that is there today.

On the street behind where that house would have been, the I Am Temple [[formerly Central Presbyterian Church, where my Scottish great-grandmother sometimes attended services) at Columbia and Second, and the building at 478 W. Columbia most recently occupied by Detroit Cycle Supply are the last buildings standing around there from that era.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2