Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    LOL! Yeah like radioactive gleam with a lead chaser to boot!
    Soon enough see through teeth! That would be pretty cool around Halloween though

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    These products are available at Dollar Tree.
    WAY better than Dollar General.
    Last edited by RaumVogel; November-24-11 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    WAY better than Dollar General.
    No. You're far more likely to get knock-offs and counterfeit products at DT than either DG or FD.

Yes, Dollar Tree has this cheapo line called 'Greenbrier' that manufactures just for DT. Sometimes it is good stuff, often not. You can only get so much quality for some items that only a dollar each.

Dollar General is not a 'dollar only' store. Therefore you can get brand names for less price. Far less than CVS for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No. You're far more likely to get knock-offs and counterfeit products at DT than either DG or FD.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-24-11 at 11:39 AM.

Maybe other stores will open in Lafayette Park that would be a drawn to those who live in the community and those who work, live, and play downtown

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Maybe other stores will open in Lafayette Park that would be a drawn to those who live in the community and those who work, live, and play downtown
    Well, we can only hope so. I don't see Dollar General being a destination store -- for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwhite View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on that! Looks like I will be paying a little more attention when it comes to my dollar store shopping.
    You might want to pay more attention when you do ALL your shopping. To somehow limit that to Dollar Stores is not going to make you any safer. Hell even cancer chemotherapy patients had tainted Heparin blood thinner from China to deal with. Apparently some things are beyond our control to shop around for.

And speaking of which... think your child's Chinese imported toys from Walmart's are any safer than those from a dollar store?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I hope so too, I thought that was supposed to be a semi- affluent rental area. You would think it could support a decent grocery store at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You would think it could support a decent grocery store at the very least.
    So what happened to Food Giant or whatever that store was that was here on the board? Or is that a different location?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I hope so too, I thought that was supposed to be a semi- affluent rental area. You would think it could support a decent grocery store at the very least.
    It does. Lafayette Foods opened in June. It's well-stocked and clean with good service and prices. Let's just hope Dollar General adds business to the entire mall, rather than siphoning off Lafayette Food's business. Lafayette Foods is locally owned. BUY LOCAL!!!!

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So what happened to Food Giant or whatever that store was that was here on the board? Or is that a different location?
    Food Giant is on the NW side, on Greenfield near Grand River Ave.

There are a lot of people in Lafayette Park who live in low-income housing who will probably appreciate having DG in the neighborhood that they can walk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    You might want to think twice about that --

"The FDA has found a poisonous chemical, diethylene glycol [[DEG), in certain toothpastes imported from China. The agency increased its scrutiny and testing of imported toothpaste and dental products after receiving reports in late May 2007 of contaminated Chinese dental products found in several countries "

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

and:

"In June 2007, the Colgate-Palmolive Company notified consumers that counterfeit Colgate toothpaste imported from South Africa and found on the shelves of some discount stores in the U.S. may contain diethylene glycol, a hazardous chemical also found in antifreeze."

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...lar_stores.htm
    Well I just did some checking of my own, and guess where your COLGATE or CREST found at Kroger, CVS, Meijer's et al.... are made....... MEXICO.... so you can think twice all you want....

From NYT's Toxic Toothpaste Made in China Is Found in U.S. [[2007):
    Over the years, counterfeiters have found it profitable to substitute diethylene glycol for its chemical cousin, glycerin, which is usually more expensive. Glycerin is a safe additive commonly found in food, drugs and household products. In toothpaste, glycerin is used as a thickening agent.
    When this story first broke I checked to make sure our toothpaste didn't even list glycerin as an ingredient, reasoning that it would be that much less likely to contain the diethylene glycol substitute.

Aim toothpaste contains no glycerin and usually costs only about 99¢ a tube. I'm curious why they sell it so much more cheaply than other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    It does. Lafayette Foods opened in June. It's well-stocked and clean with good service and prices. Let's just hope Dollar General adds business to the entire mall, rather than siphoning off Lafayette Food's business. Lafayette Foods is locally owned. BUY LOCAL!!!!
    Do you know if they have started selling beer and wine. The last time I went the owner said that it wouldn't be long.

Still no beer or wine as of last weekend.

Good lord! What's with the beer and wine kick? It'll be funny when the folks who couldn't wait for beer and wine are shopping with the 40oz crowd. Anyhow, I went to both the other day and was pleasantly surprised with the selection of odds and ends and DG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2