Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The city needs to cut everything nonessential. Outside of education, if it isn't directly related to folks' safety, it should go.
    That's probably one thing that should be cut. Either let the State or private industry run the schools.

I don't agree with a sick-out. I do have sympathy for their position, but have less sympathy when they pull stunts like this.

I did some research into what a DPD officer makes, and it certainly wouldn't be enough for me to put that uniform on, I'd rather take my chances in Afghanistan than be a DPD officer.

According to the DPD website, officers start at $30,137, and top out at $53,273 + longevity pay, benefits, 8 holidays, 4 weeks vacation, but notably they also get a pension.

I would love to see us do away with the city-funded pension for all new officers and give the officers a raise to make up for not getting a pension. Allow them to contribute to a 401k and allow them to take out of it tax-free after so many years of working as a cop [[instead of at age 59.5).

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...iceCareer.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Keep back peddling there. Someone might come close to believing you.
    I said in my experience, office jobs in Metro Detroit generally do not pay such modest salaries. I never claimed that my experiences exactly match the Census-derived medians. And obviously many jobs pay far below this salary range outside of the professional sphere.

You and other folks keep claiming that engineers, consultants and the like make 20k-25k a year. All the folks I know with such training make [[at least) 2-3 times this salary range, even at the beginning of their careers.

An "office job", in my experience, is, at the very lowest end, an admin position [["secretary"). Full-time secretaries in professional environments will often make over 27k [[and usually make much more than that).

That is why I'm surprised they want to pay officers 27k. Office positions that don't even require higher education can pay more, and often considerably more.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-20-11 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I would love to see us do away with the city-funded pension for all new officers and give the officers a raise to make up for not getting a pension. Allow them to contribute to a 401k and allow them to take out of it tax-free after so many years of working as a cop [[instead of at age 59.5).
    I think this is a good idea. I would endorse this plan. Folks' shouldn't choose their careers based on the pension. We can't afford these pensions anyways, but we should be able to find a way to pay folks a decent living wage.

I think this is a good idea. I would endorse this plan. Folks' shouldn't choose their careers based on the pension. We can't afford these pensions anyways, but we should be able to find a way to pay folks a decent living wage.
    If the employer can't afford a pension how can the employee?

That is why I'm surprised they want to pay officers 27k. Office positions that don't even require higher education can pay more, and often considerably more.
    Then you're probably surprised at the angst expressed by the OWSers.

I said in my experience, office jobs in Metro Detroit generally do not pay such modest salaries.
    I'd suggest you venture out of the sheltered world of B'Ham and into the real world once in a while.

An "office job", in my experience, is, at the very lowest end, an admin position [["secretary").
    So, what about all the Receptionists, and others who don't do much more than answer phones and all the File Clerks and Mail Room workers?

"Office Job" and "Clerk" are wide ranging terms and very few of the people in those categories can shop at Somerset.
    Last edited by Meddle; November-20-11 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'd suggest you venture out of the sheltered world of B'Ham and into the real world once in a while.
    I know for a fact even places in Birmingham don't pay entry-level office workers 40K.

I'm sure any employers who read that post are probably laughing their butts off right now at how far that claim was removed from reality. Many employers consider $12/hr [[$25K) GENEROUS for an experienced office worker in Metro Detroit, especially in this economy.

I'd love to know what Bham is smoking though, that way I'd know to avoid it at all costs.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-20-11 at 01:49 PM.

I only know a handful of people making over $40K and they're either skilled trade/factory/industrial or elected officials.

Most starting jobs in any field are under $20K.

Perhaps the cops needed the time off to help clean up around the Malice Green shrine.

I only know a handful of people making over $40K and they're either skilled trade/factory/industrial or elected officials.
    Well since he was only talking about "office jobs", the only folks I know who make $40K or greater entry-level doing office work are Accountants and Politicians and maybe Lawyers. I say maybe Lawyers because some start off as Paralegals.

lilpup Guest

You and other folks keep claiming that engineers, consultants and the like make 20k-25k a year. All the folks I know with such training make [[at least) 2-3 times this salary range, even at the beginning of their careers.
    *I* never claimed that. There are engineers throughout my family. Those who still have their jobs do well. Some who lost their jobs are having a hard time finding new ones in their field and so ARE working in others fields for 20-25k just to get by. As far as to what entry-level engineers get paid it depends heavily on their specialty. Some specialties are in demand right now, others can't buy a job.

I strongly suspect the support people we're talking about here are just invisible to someone like you.

Occurrence Guest

That's fraud. It'll get you fired and possibly jailed.
    How could they possibly prove that? If you're using a Detroit address, than tecnhically you are living there.

That's a dumb law anyways. A place where you work shouldn't be telling people where they can live. It's none of their business. That might even be dumber than drug testing employees.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    If the employer can't afford a pension how can the employee?
    I don't get a pension, yet I've got a good 401k started up. You have to start saving early, contribute regularly, and do so your whole working life.

Most people don't get pensions, but manage to survive.

I appreciate the hard work of public servants, but the servant-hood seems to have gone away with folks getting lifetime pensions and benefits.

We need to reform government so that it's sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I don't agree with a sick-out. I do have sympathy for their position, but have less sympathy when they pull stunts like this.

I did some research into what a DPD officer makes, and it certainly wouldn't be enough for me to put that uniform on, I'd rather take my chances in Afghanistan than be a DPD officer.

According to the DPD website, officers start at $30,137, and top out at $53,273 + longevity pay, benefits, 8 holidays, 4 weeks vacation, but notably they also get a pension.
    Such are the hazards of the profession. Why the sympathy?

If you are worth more than you are currently earning, go get it. Go chase it. Cops need crime because without it, there'd be job losses and budget cutbacks. Wouldn't wan't to make yourself redundant. A heavy crime rate, with good case clean-up rates, is ideal and justifies your existence.

Does the DPD offer secure on-going work and good chances for advancement and promotions?

Why the endless comparisons between cops, teachers and office clerks? Do rookie cops have or need high academic levels earned through years of schooling? What exactly are the requirements to be a cop? Just asking. And how many security guards are from the reject list at the annual police try-outs?
    Last edited by night-timer; November-21-11 at 12:31 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3